Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maya
Expert January 2019 Alberta

Nail advice

Maya, on June 5, 2018 at 06:56 Posted in Beauty 0 8
So I was planning on growing my own nails out for my wedding. I have engagement photos today as long as the weather is good. Last night I decided to get my nails done because they are so short. I called ahead of time and asked to have artificial nails not gel nails. Maybe I should have said acrylic but I don’t usually get my nails done and was going off what my coworker had told me. I specifically asked about 10 times and stated that I do not want gel nails. The lady assured me I was not getting gel nails and what does she give me but gel nails.

For now it is what it is and I can’t change it. I just want some advice because I will not be leaving the gels on longer than 2-3 weeks and since I’ve never had gel nails what can I expect the state of my nail to be like once the gel nails are off. It’s not that the nails don’t look nice, but I know my natural nails hurt when they were putting on the gel and I can feel they hurt now too. I will not be getting them refilled as I only wanted a temporary nail for the photos. Anything that will help strengthen my nail once I take them off?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Maya, on June 7, 2018 at 09:18
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Stephanie and everyone else for all the advice. I had to get 2 of my nails redone and I’m seeing more that I’m not happy with, but I just want my engagement pictures and then I will get them off and putting on stuff to strengthen them.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Once you get them removed you can get vitamin e for nails in what looks like a nail polish bottle! I always use it when I'm not wearing a colour and it has helped my nails dramatically to be stronger and healthier!!! I highly recommend!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A nail stregthening coat can work wonders! Also just make sure you have them removed professionally! I didn’t when I had mine and my nails looked a mess for weeks
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Either way you were going to get "semi-permanent" nails. As the girls have said, they build the tip, and the difference between gel and acrylic is how they build it (Gel is already gel, Acrylic is powder they turn into gel as they build).

If you let your nails grow out for the wedding, you can just get a manicure, or ask for Shellac if you want it to last longer, it's just a gel polish, and it doesn't chip/flake as easily as regular nail polish. (Do not let them file the tops of your nails, it will weaken them)

Get them removed at the salon when you want them off, ask them to soak them off. They may charge you $10-15, but it's worth it, you will rip the top layer of your nails if you do it at home. Then use some sort of clear strengthening/healing nail polish for a few weeks. (Some have Aloe or Vitamin E, they will be best).

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Once you get the gel removed, it'll be important to let them breathe. I'd only apply a nail strengthening clear polish and nothing else, for a couple of weeks!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That makes total sense! Now I remember when I used to get acrylic nails, the coating was powder at first. And gel nails never was! Thanks for clarifying. Haha. I like gel way better.
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Next time ask for the powder. The only real difference is that gel is already a liquid and acrylic is a powder. Or shoppers actually carries a wide range of pre done stickon nails or polish stickers that work really well as a quick and temporary alternative (and less expensive).

But with my nails I found gel nails were less damaging on them than acrylic nails. Either way the nails are prepped and filed/sanded down the same in my experience.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I “think” they have to use gel over the acrylic nail. The difference between acrylic and gel nails is acrylic is just the tip for length, then gel is put over to make it look like one full nail. Gel nails are shaped as they are put on, there is no acrylic tip. I recommend you go back to the salon to get them removed. They definitely destroy the nail a bit. Maybe apply a nail strengthening polish after.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics