Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gina
Newbie July 2018 Ontario

Money only bridal shower-invitation

Gina, on January 6, 2018 at 19:30 Posted in Before the wedding 0 17

Hello everyone!

I am the first one in my family/friends to be getting married and I only been to bridal showers when I was a young girl. I am planning a bridal shower and I do not want to receive any physical gifts from my guest since I live in my own place and I have the home stuff. What I truly do need is money (to help pay off the wedding) and would rather receive money as a gift from my guest. How to I write that I do not want any boxed gifts but instead of money without sounding rude on my bridal shower invitations?

Thank you in advance!

17 Comments

Latest activity by Marcella, on October 3, 2023 at 04:22
  • Shannon
    Newbie June 2023 Alberta
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can say it on a card.
    “So blessed to have everything I need!, but if you would like to contribute to a wedding / honeymoon fund, it would mean the world”
  • Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really like this option! I feel like it doesn't say "thanks but no thanks" to any physical gifts. We all know there are people out there who just have to buy a gift.

But I agree with a lot of the other girls, there unfortunately is no nice way to say it. You can put it on your wedding website, skip the registry and just have your bridal party and parents suggest monetary gifts. Word of mouth is always best for this kind of thing just make sure you have a nice way to put it when people do come asking (:

• L
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

"Monetary Gifts Appreciated"

• Ashley
    Beginner October 2019 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t put it on at all. Leave it for word-of-mouth, or if you have a wedding website that’s up and running before your shower you can add it there maybe?
  • T
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think there is a polite way to say it, sorry!

We are in the same boat, living together with kids....but won't be including a registry.

• Darcy
    Newbie June 2019 Virginia
    Darcy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are in our mid 30's and we've been living together for 7 years. We have everything we need. I don't think there is a nice way to say, "we only want money" even if you phrase it with a cutesy rhyme. That's just my personal opinion. So we won't have a registry and leave it up to our guests to bring what they feel is appropriate.

• P
    Newbie June 2019 Texas
    Perla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can add something sweet to the invitation such as "With all that we have, we've been truly blessed! Your presence and prayers are all that we request. But if you desire to give the Bride a gift.. A monetary gift is one we suggest! "

• Dani
    Frequent user February 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was given an invitation once and found it written in a rude way. For my wedding we just didn't say anything, we don't have a registry and everyone knows we've lived together the last few years and have our own place. Some people have already told me they rather give us a physical gift and thats ok but we are hoping that most people do the envelope shower type thing if they even choose to give us a gift. Its hard to write it politely but the no boxed gifts wording is one of the best I've seen

• Cassandra
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I honestly thought it was tacky when my cousin put it in her invitation but everyone is different. I would say put something cute that doesn't "demand" money such as "if you were thinking of giving a gift, to help us on our way, a gift of cash towards our ______ would really make our day. However, if you prefer to purchase a gift, feel free to surprise us in your own way" that way it lets them know you prefer money but you are giving them the option.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My MOH and Mom are going to spread the word for me to save the hassle of trying to word it in a way that won’t sound rude or upset anyone p
  • Amyfanggg
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Amyfanggg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would be straight up and just write "Monetary gifts preferred" in the invitation for the bridal shower.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say something like "no boxed gifts please". I think you may still get some people who will get you a physical gift but most people will probably give you cash. We had a registry for our wedding and most people gave us cash anyway; it seems to be the trend these days.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've heard of envelope showers. Not sure how common they are where you live. An envelope shower is where there is one card and everyone signs it and puts their money gift in the envelope.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were in the same boat. We set up a honeyfund.com registry for our honeymoon and laid out excursions that we wanted to go on and people could buy them for us - we just included the link to our online registry on the invitation the same way you'd say "we're registered at The Bay". We turned off the online giving (i.e. credit card) option since it charged a service fee. This meant that we got cash gifts. Surprisingly, most people just gave us money without an actual excursion specified. I think we got 4 excursions paid for from a shower with approx. 50 people there. Most people just gave cash and a note to use it for our honeymoon. We got a couple of small physical gifts, but mostly money.

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We plan to possibly do a money only wedding "registry". We have our own home and things so like you we don't need anything except money to help pay for all of this and our honeymoon. So we are thinking of setting up something for a "Honey-Fund" and have our guests give the money they would use on a gift to go towards our honeymoon.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did put on our invitations no boxed gifts please.

There have been others who would put monetary gifts please.
    That woumd be a polite way to let them know and on your invitation when you send it out.
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not sure there's a nice way of saying it. I'd say something cute about your happy home having all it needs and monetary gifts are preffered.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics