Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emilyn
Curious July 2022 Manitoba

Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses

Emilyn, on February 3, 2020 at 18:32 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19
Just looking for inspiration for doing mismatched dresses for my bridesmaids. My colours are dusty pink/rose gold and all of the girls have such different body types and styles there was no way I could force them to all wear matching dresses!! Has anyone done this or seen it done in the past? How did it turn out?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Shannon, on February 5, 2020 at 19:12
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I see this often, I think it would look just as pretty. Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think mismatched bridesmaids dresses are so nice. It would be important to me that everyone was comfortable. If I had more than one person it would totally be mismatched dresses. As it is I only have one person so she has been given a few colour choices and is free to do whatever she wants with her dress. I know she prefers long or else i would have ask her to pick a long one.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've attached 2 images of mismatched bridesmaid dresses:

Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses 1

This first one was from my friend's wedding, which I was a bridesmaid in. We were all in blush pink, but could pick our own styles.

Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses 2

This was from our wedding, where I did ultimate mismatched. My bridesmaids could do any of the two colours in whatever style they wanted.

Overall, it's becoming more the norm to do mismatched bridesmaids dresses IMO. Not everyone has the same body type so it's awesome to be able to choose a style that fits every bridesmaid!

• Britt
    Frequent user July 2020 Alberta
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wearing different styles is totally fine, lots of people do it. Usually if you're letting them pick their own dresses just give them a guideline, like others have suggested. My bridesmaids are spread out over 3 provinces, & are all different sizes/shapes. I was worried about finding a dress that would look good on all of them (5), be in a good price range, & available for them to get. After looking, I found an amazing dress on infinitydresses.com it's one size fits all, & the material is actually great. Not see-through at all. I bought one for myself to try & had each bridesmaids try it on, they all loved it. If you're like me & crave a unified look, I'd suggest looking there. Each bridesmaid could also change up how they wear it, so they can still have the individual style, but still look matching
  • Megan
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My girls all had different body types and one lived close to me while the other two live in the USA so finding matching dresses was impossible! Yes, Davids Bridal was a great option but at the time they were in the middle of their "bankruptcy scare" so I didn't want my girls getting dresses through them just in-case. I gave the girls an option of finding "Navy Blue" dresses and my only requests were floor length and no shiny satin material. I wanted the girls to feel beautiful and comfortable because that would come across in pictures more than the colour of the dress.

different shades of navy blue for bridesmaid dressesMismatched Bridesmaid Dresses 3different shades of navy blue for bridesmaid dressesMismatched Bridesmaid Dresses 4

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I havent done this but sooo many people have it looks amazing!! google it!

• Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I gave my 4 bridesmaids a colour palet to stick to and said they needed to be long, which you could do, and if you don't them having a specific fabric dress like silk or lace, just tell them

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My ladies (3 + junior bridesmaid) will all be doing different dress styles. Same color though! I think this is totally fine and the way its just going now anyway. Everyone should feel comfortable. Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Newbie September 2020 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My three girls are all wearing different dresses as well as the maid of honour is wearing a sparkly sequined dress in rose gold and the two bridesmaids are wearing different style dresses in the same red wine colour.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had all my girls wear different dresses - same colour though (plum)

Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses 5

I think it worked perfectly and since they paid for them I felt like it was only right that they get something they can wear again (the can hem it to be shorter and more casual too).

• Emilyn
    Curious July 2022 Manitoba
    Emilyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those looks really good! I like the idea of everyone getting a unique dress but sticking to similar colours. The only person opposing the idea of mismatched dresses right now is my mom, but I am sure I can convince her of how good it will look when it's all said and done!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mismatched dresses with styles are a nice way of mixing things up. Every Indian wedding has that as the bridal party has chosen the same colour with different cuts of styles to personalize each person. They will look good and the groomsmen can match each bridesmaid based in their dress colour (shirt, tie, and square).
  • Jamie
    Newbie June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Dress and Charm - check out their website! They're easy to get sized, come in tons of colours, and the infinity dress works on everyone. I have the same situation with my bridesmaids being all different sizes. These are also great if you might have pregnancies or if someone is on a diet and on their way down in weight so they can't commit to a size

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love the mismatched look! I think if you stick with the same designer so the fabrics are the same or similar and go with different necklines and shapes it can still look cohesive. The length being the same would be important to me, just because it would give a little balance and your eye wouldn't be drawn to one girl more than another.
    These are some photos I pulled off of Pinterest:
    Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses 6
    Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses 7
    Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses 8

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My sister and sister in law wore completely different styles but in the exact same colour. I think they both looked great, and they were happy because they felt comfortable. Mismatched Bridesmaid Dresses 9

• Kaitlin
    Newbie July 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been in weddings where people have done both! For my wedding I’m letting them pick whatever dress they feel comfortable in as long as they are floor length and the same colour. I 100% agree with you on the body type thing. Not everyone is going to feel comfortable in the same style, and I wouldn’t want that showing in my pictures!
  • Melissa
    Beginner June 2021 New Brunswick
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally love the look of mismatched dresses Smiley smile
  • Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know it’s not the same thing, but my bridesmaids are wearing Sarees and they’ve each got different shades of pink, same fabric. The only different thing is that they each have different types of blouses. Some are off the shoulder, some are halter. I like the mismatched look!
  • Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Saw this all the time when I worked for David’s Bridal. Always LOVED how this turned out so well on all different parties. Biggest tip I can give - try to stick within the same fabric family! Helps everything blend more cohesively!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics