Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Megan
Curious July 2019 Alberta

Mc Help!

Megan, on June 28, 2018 at 10:38 Posted in Wedding reception 0 32

Did you guys ask a friend to be the MC or hire one?

Any tips would be appreciative Smiley smile

32 Comments

Latest activity by Rachael, on August 7, 2018 at 15:18
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

An MC is included with our DJ's package, thankfully!

While it may be nice to have a friend be your MC, keep in mind that a) you can't control what they said if they are drinking and b) a professional MC will have more experience and likely know how to better read and work the crowd, etc.

At the same time, a family member/friend could make the experience more special as they know you and may know many of the guests so their approach may be more genuine.

• Genis
    Frequent user January 2019 Alberta
    Genis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We asked my FH;s sister as we wanted to have her included in the wedding somehow, however she is pregnant and told us when we asked her! Due 15 days after the wedding!! So she declined and now we are stuck!!

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to have one of the groomsman be the MC - we are still deciding on which one. I think that asking one of your own friends or family members makes the time that they are speaking a little more special/enjoyable, as opposed to hiring someone who doesn't know you.

• Jenna
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to be asking one of my FH's friends to be MC since he knows him well and can tell little stories throughout the night

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having our DJ do our MC duties because we had friends that we didn't choose to be in our bridal party and we didn't want to make anyone feel 2nd string.

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have my FH uncle taking on the task. He lights up a room and knows how to work a crowd, so we figured he would be the best person for the job! He was beyond flattered when we asked.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My sister will be the MC for dinner and speeches, however once the dance starts we will use our DJ.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've asked my brother to be our MC. Our DJ will do the introductions for the parents and wedding party since my brother is in the wedding party.

He will then give a formal introduction to my brother as the MC for the rest of the night.

Someone who has an upbeat personality, can crack some jokes, and can get everyone involved is always a great idea!

• Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've asked my cousin (who speaks french and is fun and outgoing and has known me since i was 5 years old) to Co-MC with his sister in law (soon to be mine too) (Also fun and outgoing and has known my fiance since he was 12 years old)) to do the English (they both have been an MC at other weddings). They both speak both but this way both can have fun with it in both languages and less stress if they do it together. They do not live in the same province so they have been emailing, skyping with us so everyone is on the same page, and day of, they will rehearse while we are off doing our first look pictures and wedding party pictures.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are planning on asking a couple to co-MC who are family friends of mine (but have gotten to know him as well)

• Megan
    Curious July 2019 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI all,

I really wanted one of my bridesmaids to do it but then I feel like she wont be able to enjoy the night as much as a bridesmaid.. I haven't been to a wedding in soooo long so I kind of forget the tasks of an MC.

Most of you guys said your MOH or Best Man which is what I was leaning towards, but just my concern above has be worried.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We haven't gotten to that point yet, but it should be our DJ.

• Sarah
    Frequent user July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My maid of honor and my fiances best man are going to co-mc, they both have an upbeat personality, and I think it's better to have someone you know do it so they can throw a few jokes about you as a couple and liven the space up!
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have asked one of my uncles and one of his uncles to be MC's. They're both big, lovable, teddy bears with wicked sense of humor. I personally wouldnt want someone I didnt know to do it, I want it to be a personable, memorable experience
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We asked our DJ to do it and if he had said no we were going to ask our best man to do it.
    It can be anyone that has an outgoing personality though
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our DJ is going to MC, do some games, and get everyone dancing
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had the DJ MC the reception. It wasn't much to announce besides the entrance, speeches, mother sons dance and our first dance.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with this! Professional for music and MC that you know works perfect!!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We asked an uncle.
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My cousin is our MC because we thought someone we know should do it. For our DJ we hired a company to do it. Then we know for sure we are getting someone who knows what they are doing and puts less stress on us.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We asked friends as we thought it would be more personal and they could make some funny comments or jokes.

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have my brother being MC as well as the DJ we didn’t hire one!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were going to just ask the DJ but my fiancé’s brother in law was a mic at a wedding this weekend and he’s brilliant at it so we’re going to use him!
  • Jessica
    Beginner May 2019 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue offered an MC as an add-on for our pricing, but we are just having a close family friend do it! Smiley smile

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our DJ will do most of it (number calling for dinner, introductions, etc)... we may have a groomsman/ bridesmaid help out with more personal introductions/ running any games, etc.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A family friend of ours is our MC! He knows both of us and has a great personality in front of people!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance's cousin is going to be ours! Shes really good at speaking and speaking in front of people! she has a great personality and knows us both so we thought it was the best way to go! I trust her!
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We asked my FH uncle to be our MC. His personality and character just lights up a room. We're so excited!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My best friend went to an open house offered by her venue and met her MC. He was so good we all thought he was family.

We’re thinking of asking my brother to MC ours and I think it will be alright bc we’re pushing for a laidback vibe brunch reception.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FSIL is our MC. She is a real people person and I get along with her great. All 3 of our siblings are involved in some way for our wedding, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have decided to ask one of his friends that he is not as close as the wedding party but my FH wouldn't feel right leaving him out. If you can get one for free - do it!

• Krista
    Frequent user July 2018 Alberta
    Krista ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Best man is our MC! Find the most charismatic person in your wedding party and you can prepare their script or have them do it in advance. Usually the MC duty is received as an honor Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics