Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cassie
Frequent user September 2020 Ontario

May 23 Wedding and covid

Cassie, on March 23, 2020 at 20:08 Posted in Before the wedding 1 49
I’m getting married May 23 of this year in Ontario. I have no idea if I need to postpone it because it’s far enough away that things may calm down by then but close enough to not really know. My shower is April 26 and my bachelorette is May 8 weekend. The problem is I don’t know if I want to sacrifice the full bride experience of missing all of those exciting parties leading up to the day even if the wedding does still happen. I’m so confused. Who else is on this day and what are you choosing to do? Or anyone near my date?

49 Comments

Latest activity by Geraldine, on April 24, 2020 at 13:37
  • Geraldine
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh, interesting!

I guess we just have to wait it out. It’s just confusing with all this uncertainty Smiley sad sending positive vibes ❤️✌️
  • Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am in a September 2020 brides group on WhatsApp and an Alberta bride stated that the province announced no gatherings over 15 until August 31, may revisit it in July. I saw the articles after I heard from her. I know, all provinces are doing things differently so I’m waiting for ontario to give us some kind of clarity.
  • Geraldine
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Where did you see this information? It’s very confusing. I know in Toronto, our gatherings is restricted to 5. But in other provinces, it’s 10. So this is going to extend to Aug 31? 😫 it makes me wonder how it will be when school starts for the kids in September....

So stressed Smiley sad
  • Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The furthest guests that I have are Ottawa/Montreal and they would drive so not at all. I’ve been seeing other provinces extend small gatherings all the way to August 31 so that hit me and I’m now super worried.
  • Geraldine
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s true.

Do you have guests that are out of town?
  • Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s seriously tough. We totally deserve the exciting lead up with all of the bridal experiences and we have been robbed. But I have postponed to September 6. I’m hoping the restrictions will at least lift to 250 people. My wedding is 170 ish people. I couldn’t imagine having to cut people if it’s still 50. With Ontario being on a good path, I can’t imagine it would still be that low on gatherings by September. It’s right before fall ( with the supposed second wave ) and far enough away to let things calm down.
  • Geraldine
    Geraldine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding date was June 20th but we postponed to September 20th this year. I am also hoping and praying things are better by then. I also want a bachelorette and bridal shower Smiley sad I know it’s not about the parties but the marriage.. it’s just feels like I’ve been cheated out with this whole wedding planning experience. I’ve been a bridesmaid numerous times and I just feel I deserve to be celebrated too Smiley sad (but I know this COVID is out of our control).

I was suppose to have my bachelorette in Scottsdale, AZ this weekend (April 23-26) and of course due to the emergency state announcement, I cancelled it Smiley sad then my bridal shower is suppose to be May 23rd, I cancelled that too. Now that I’ve postponed my wedding to September, I’m thinking of just combining my bach/bridal shower together and it’ll be more low-key since I know this COVID is affecting some people financially...
    If fall/winter weddings do happen this year, what are your wedding plans with social distancing?
  • Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yep. I am now September 6! Hoping it goes through. I’m sure your day will be just as amazing!
  • Shanabri
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Shanabri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well with Ford extending the State of Emergency for another 28 days, my hopes of being able to have our planned wedding has come to an end.
    We will wed on our date in our backyard.
    We're undecided at this point if we'll try to throw a reception later on but I refuse to plan anything until covid measures are done.
    My heart goes out to all the brides in this position. But I've always said I'm more interested in the marriage than the wedding and I'm so blessed to be marrying my amazing fiance!God is good! Blessings to all the Blushing Brides!
  • Ryan
    Beginner January 2023 Ontario
    Ryan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Smiley smile Well was reading and I guess everybody its in the same boat !! Lol .. Well my wedding celebration its suppose to be in September but am in the states and my husband live in Canada. So with all coronavirus situation everything is in the air .But decided dont panic at the end God have the Control in everything . Hope everybody find a solution .At the end everything is going to work out . Keep positive and please stay Safe !!

• Alexandria
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Alexandria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your reply. If you do hear about the borders in Canada reopening please message me!
  • Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    For sure. We have postponed to September 6, hoping things are better by then. I’m not sure when borders will open ( some say June 30 ) I pray you have the day you’ve been dreaming of!!
  • Alexandria
    Alexandria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our date is August 1st and we live in London UK and have flights booked for July 12th for travel (wedding is in Ontario).

I have no guarantee that our guests will be able to gather, fly to Canada or even if our church will be open. I have no belief that my grandparents will be able to make it anyway regardless...
    Have a discussion about your Plan B.

• Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yep. I postponed my entire wedding to September 6 Smiley sad
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You may have to cancel ur shower and bach i think. we have current ban on gatherings of no more than 5 people!

• Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree. I figured mid April is a good time to decide and it depends if we can even acquire a marriage license haha! Praying for us! Keep me updated
  • Shanabri
    Beginner May 2020 Ontario
    Shanabri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is May 23rd in Chatham-kent, Ontario. I too am supposed to have a bridal shower April 25th.
    We do not have our marriage license yet but I've been in contact with the municipality who at the time promised to issue a license if I contact them 2 weeks prior to the date.
    I keep struggling if I should wait and pray that by May things will have calmed or do I fight to get a license now and elope and see what happens come May?It's a challenging time.....but I'm staying hopeful that we can have the wedding we planned!
  • Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Us too! We fortunately have our rings, him and his best man were able to pick up their suits from being altered, I can't get my dress yet from being altered because they stopped curbside pick-ups and I still need my last fitting Smiley sad . I know where we got our rings from (People's Jeweller's) is closed, although I am sure you can maybe still order from places online? It's definitely a waiting game for sure, I'll keep in contact and keep you in the loop! Here's hoping we can still have our special days! Smiley smile

• Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! We were going to get the license the week this all started and now we’re screwed. So that’s one of the last things we needed to do as well. I got my ring but he needs to go in to the store and get his mid April but are they even going to be open? LOL. It’s a fun waiting game! Keep me in the loop Smiley smile
  • Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm in Ontario too! I am supposed to have a bridal shower the first week of May also, but definitely agree if things lighten up closer to having parties closer too could also be an option! The thing that's been the biggest stressor for me so far is the marriage license, that's literally the last thing we needed to get and the most important thing and now that all the offices are closed it's been a struggle trying to find out as much information as we can on if we can get one before the wedding Smiley sad . I'm just trying to stay optimistic and hope for the best, we deserve to have our special day!! Smiley smile

• Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same here, girl! I really don’t want to sacrifice the bachelorette and bridal shower though so I have to see what really matters to me. If things are good early to mid May, I think I can still push the parties to the week before. It’s good to hear that your venue is positive about our date. Where abouts are you located? I’m ontario.

• Savannah
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're May 23rd also! So far we have been in contact with our vendors and gone over our contracts just in case we have to postpone, however our venue seems confident that we will still be able to proceed with the day we have chosen (fingers crossed we can!). During this hectic time we've just come to the conclusion to just remain positive and optimistic and hope for the best, and accept that this is something unfortunately out of our control. I've personally accepted that if I have to sacrifice missing out on showers or a bachelorette party because of it, but can still proceed with the wedding that it is what it is. I personally am not making any solid decisions until mid/end of April as this situation is ever changing and we never know what the situation will be at that time, we have discussed our plan B to make sure we are on board for the same thing but are hopeful we can proceed as planned!

• Alexandria
    Alexandria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am on August 1st but we live permanently in London UK. We are on lockdown and have been hearing that definitely for the next 12 weeks not to expect any changes.
    My flight to Canada is July 12th... I don’t know what will happen. We have been engaged for two years so it’s obviously very unsettling!
  • K
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Kendell ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The family drama is the exhuasting part for sure. It is so hard to make everyone happy. They all say it's your day but then have a million opinions.

I dont think you should cancel outright. If it's the wedding you want you kight regret it. Hopefully your fiance and you can come to an agreement. How far are you waiting till you decide? Has your venue contacted you since the limits of gatherings went down?
  • Anah
    Beginner June 2021 Alberta
    Anah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel you with the family drama, there was so many things we had to do to make my future inlaws happy, you’d think it was their wedding.

I know what you mean about money, none of our vendors will give us money back, however they all have been super helpful so far with offering rescheduling options so I guess I can’t complain there.
    I hope with the new restrictions of people make then become more flexible towards you, or at least return your money. You shouldn’t be able to treat people the way they are to you in a bloody global pandemic, this is not a cancellation/change we are all making by choice.
  • K
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Kendell ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So we are in a tough spot because our venue is really being a pain. They are refusing to give any money back and wanting to charge us more for any other weekend we choose. The only way they will keep the price the same is if we choose a weekday and it bothers me so much because they arent doing anything to be helpful. I'm against post phoning scritcly because I dony like how they are being.

Second. I would be perfectly fine eloping just the two of us. It's what we wanted from the beginning but our family made such a big deal about being there. So essentially the wedding is for them.
    We are so torn whether to postpone to next may 29th or just roll the dice and hope limits get higher this may. I'm also intrigued to see if our venue will contact us now knowing the limit has shrunk so much and our wedding is not a possibility at that number.
  • Anah
    Anah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sigh. I’m in Alberta too. I was ok with cutting down with the 50 and under limit but I just heard the news about 15 and that’s a no go. We were getting married in Calgary. Our DJ just emailed me to tell me they are telling all their clients to postpone weddings March-May. I have no idea what to do, my fiancé is very much against postponing and would rather just cancel the wedding. I cannot do that, I always wanted the full wedding experience and I’m so sad that all the wonderful 2020 brides are experiencing this. I’m frustrated and wish I just knew what to do. I think we might have to ultimately postpone, and I’ll have to try to convince my fiancé. I am also wondering how long hair/nail salons will be closed and if tux rentals will also be affected into May, not to sound vain but i want to look my absolute best for our wedding day! Urgh. What are your thoughts?? What do you think you’ll do?
  • K
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Kendell ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So I'm not sure what province youre in. How big is your guest list? I'm getting married in canmore/banff and Alberta just dropped to 15 people and I'm struggling alot with the heck to do now.
  • Sammi0723
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Sammi0723 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I understand you completely! my sister in law got married in September this past year, and so everyone on his side is just like just be happy, as you said! they had their day, they don't care if i'm unhappy about it.

I'm glad we have others that understand and we can vent to =) no one understands unless they are going through it I find. Married already or not, they all have the similar thought on how I should be grateful we are just healthy and getting married should be enough.

And, I've thought about it too? thinking? am I just being selfish? should i be so upset? every time i come back to the same answer ... YES! why should I not get the wedding I want? You dream about it your whole life? and i'm sure no ones dream consists of a virus ruining it?

• Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly! If I need to reschedule the bridal shower to closer to the wedding and change the bachelorette to something at home id be willing to do that. But cancelling them altogether? I don’t think I’d be okay with it. I hope things really start to turn around by end of April for all of us. I really miss the excitement-i would have been jumping up and down that it’s so close!
  • Anah
    Anah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree, my fiancé, sister and others don’t get it either and say “the end result is still the same, marriage” like yeah thanks. But my sister has already had a perfect wedding and all her celebrations and got to a “the bride” with no interruptions or limitations! so has everyone else that gives out this advice (aside from my fiancé haha) so it really upsets me when I hear this. If it were them in this situation I bet they’d be pretty upset too, I’m just so glad we have this community to relate with others. My wedding is May 30th, so far everything but the wedding has been canceled and I pray that things will sort out and all the brides will get the day we deserve and worked hard planning for. Take care!
  • Anah
    Anah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel you too. My wedding is May 30th, and I feel guilty complaining to people saying I want the full experience and then saying “it’s no big deal” like yeah maybe not for you bevsuse you already had your wedding and all the experiences!! I had to cancel my bridal shower and bachelorette, I’m hoping to reschedule both in May, and hoping we can still go ahead with our wedding.

I think there is still hope, look how much the world changed in 2 weeks, it surely will change again in 2 months, hopefully for the better. Keep us posted on your decisions!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics