Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Andie
Expert May 2019 Ontario

Matching Suits

Andie, on September 26, 2018 at 20:43 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19

So I'm having both groomsmen and bridesmen. I was planning on just telling all the men (10 including FH) to wear whatever black suit and white dress shirt they have to save money, time and stress, and we would buy them matching ties so the look somewhat cohesive. Have any of you married people done this (as opposed to renting identical suits/tuxes)? I don't really care if they are all matchy-matchy, as I'm sure I won't be looking at that when I look at my photos, but I'm just nervous if people are going to say some shit or that I might change my mind when I see it. Let me know your thoughts!

PS. I was absent for a while but I'm so excited to be back, it's getting me more excited then ever! Smiley laugh

19 Comments

Latest activity by Rekramer, on October 5, 2018 at 09:55
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We told everyone to wear navy suits and white shirts, and we bought their ties, pocket squares, socks, and tie bars.

• A
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Andie, thank you! Wedding is tomorrow. Can’t believe after over a year and a half of planning the big day is coming.

I gave them each the option individually ... so some opted to rent and some opted to buy. I hope it works out - they’re solid black suits and I wanted to be respectful to people’s budget.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One wore black as the other wore grey colour suits
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The suit ties and shirts matched each MOH. My side was teal/blue and husband was purple. Pictures aren't loading.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd never even thought of that before, and one of my guys just lost over 110lbs, so I'm sure his old suit will be a bit big!

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, love the last part!!

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL! Did the guys all have the exact same suit or just same suit colour?

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

First of all OMG CONGRATS YOUR MARRIED NOW! And second, did you give them each the option individually or if one decided to buy/rent they all had to buy/rent the same suit

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm hoping so!!

• A
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am getting married on Saturday and also have a bridesman. I gave the guys the option of renting or buying a black suit - the look is cohesive enough whether is was rented or bought and I wanted them to choose based on their comfort level financially. My bridesman is wearing the same suit as the groomsmen. I read somewhere that the bridesman should not match the groomsmen and instead, more align with the bridesmaids but it just felt right for us to have the groomsmen and bridesman match. I think you can do whatever you want really!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our Best Men wore their suits and bought thier shirts and ties according to each side to look cohesive. Husband's side wore purple and my side was teal/blue. That was our matching up system.

Funny enough, it seemed that there were lots of other guests wearing purple and blues too and getting asked if they were part of the wedding party.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend did this. All the guys had different colour ties too. I really like the look of bridesmaids in same colour, different styles, so it should work well for guys too!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were going to go with this idea until we saw how different some of the shades of black were from each other then we changed it so they were identical. It totally depends on how different the blacks would be, maybe ask to see them before hand and decide based on that?
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am FAR too much of a control freak to be okay with non-matchy matchy... haha. But if you don't have OCD tendencies that should be totally fine! Haha. It's totally up to you. My only warning is... there are different tones of white, even different tones of black... so just be aware of that possibility and it's all good.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think the suits sound fine the way you've said. If you're really worried, you could ask the guys to get together with their suits so you can see how it looks (and eliminate any really bad fashion faux pas like dad plaid ties or something Smiley xd )

The guests can stuff it, your opinion is what matters most.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the idea of letting them wear whatever black suit as long as it fits well. I'm all for mismatched stuff but would wanna make sure no one wears something that is too big/small for them
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally would have them all buy white shirts together (or you buy them all together and they pay you back) so the tone of white matches. because as we know there are so many WHITE options. hahahaa.

and in terms of suit....wouldn't be super noticeable. the only thing that may be slightly is if some are 2 button suits, and some are 3 button. but if jackets not buttoned. no biggie.

• Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True! I didn't even think of pictures without suit jackets... thanks!!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As long as there isn't a large range in the shade of black then I would think that it would be ok. Plus you could always take pictures where they aren't wearing the suit jackets and it would look even less noticeable. Get them matching vests and ties and I would call it a win!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics