Karen
Expert September 2018 Ontario

Marriage license

Karen, on 6/June/2018 at 22:26 Posted in Before the wedding
Does it matter where I get my marriage license in Ontario? I've seen on fb groups of lists where the cheapest to get marriage license but not sure if I can do so if I don't live and I'm not getting married in that area.
Share:

25 Comments

• BunnyBride
    Expert August 2020 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·

I had no idea the prices varied in Ontario so much from one region to another. Nova Scotia has one set price as far as I know no matter where you get it from. Sounds like it is definitely worth a little travel, especially if you make a bit of a vacay out of it too.

• Karen
    Karen ·
    View quoted message
    Yup st thomas is for sure cheaper. And its not far of a drive either from London.
  • Keri
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Keri ·
    View quoted message
    Awesome price! Thanks so much for this, I found $110 in St Thomas as one of the cheapest, so this is great to know! Mini day trip (we’re in London) to save some bucks, not too shabby!
  • Vinod
    Featured August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    If your researching and will to go the distance for a cheaper price. The simcoe county has different ranges with taxes added on top. The lowest i found was Angus for $100 flat fee. It wasn't far of a drive which was was a good thing.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    I think you can get it anywhere! In my hometown it’s only $57!
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    View quoted message
    Me too! Windsor as well! (Where I live! Geez, that much?
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    Following this
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    View quoted message

I got it in Amhertsburg! I just checked again and it was about $20 dollars cheaper (117 in Amhertsburg versus 135 in Windsor). Might be worth the drive to save a little money.

• Karen
    Karen ·
    View quoted message
    Do u remember where it is? I'm getting married in Windsor.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·

I purchased mine in a smaller town to get married in Windsor where it was about $30 more expensive. Anywhere to save money! As long as you buy it in Ontario, you can get married in any city.

• Karen
    Karen ·
    View quoted message
    Yea that's what i thought. But apparently not. Lol
  • Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    In NB its 115$. I thought the price was provincial, not by municipality or area...hmmm.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    View quoted message

Thunder Bay is only $100, which is the same as Strathroy/Caradoc, so I will probably just get it here and save $30!

• Karen
    Karen ·
    View quoted message
    Oh wow $161 is pricey. I'm going to Zora just outside London and it's $90 and will do a mini vacay with family to make it worth the drive.
  • Karen
    Karen ·
    View quoted message
    Yes I didn't know either. I put a link earlier for London area where the cheapest is. Zora ON seems to be one or stratroy ON
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·

I had no idea that marriage license fees vary! I live in Thunder Bay but getting married in London (where I frequently visit) so I wonder where it would be cheaper. I don't think it matters where you get it, as long as it's in Ontario.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles