Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chelsea
Newbie September 2019 British Columbia

Man of honour

Chelsea, on January 10, 2019 at 22:39 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 27
I am considering having my brother as my “man of honour” as well as my male cousin in my wedding party. I know it’s usually all girls so I would love some feedback as these are the closest people to me. 😄

27 Comments

Latest activity by Katrine, on July 30, 2019 at 19:34
  • K
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Katrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your nearest and dearest should be up there with you no matter gender.
  • Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My male cousins are in my wedding party! It was weird to not include them 🧡 I have them carrying candle as part of a Filipino tradition but they are standing beside me during the ceremony
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FSIL had her older brother as her man of honor and then she had her stepdaughter

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its fine to have Man of honors as oppose to the opposite. Every couple is different and goes to how its done personally. There isn't a right or wrong in any case.

• L
    Curious June 2020 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do whatever you want. If people comment that it’s strange or uncommon say “thank you” even if they meant it as judgement because when you say “thank you” to a passive-agressive insult people are forced to either admit that they were trying to insult you and look like dicks, or be mad that their comment didn’t go as planned.
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am having 2 bridesmaids and a bridesman, my FH is having 2 groomswomen. It is a great idea especially if that's who you are closest with.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have my 2 bridesmaids and my brother is my best man
  • MacKenzie
    Beginner February 2020 Alberta
    MacKenzie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love that this is becoming more popular! Go for it, I am as well Smiley smile I think the pics will result in the wedding obviously looking your own rather than stock!

• Chelsea
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks ! And I love that your flower girl is a grown man ! Haha that’s great.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My flower girl is a grown man so I'm totally on the same page as you when it comes to ignoring the standard gender roles. Your wedding day is about who you want to stand up there with you and who will support you. Whoever that is is who you should ask to do so.

• Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mixed gender bridal parties are the best!! I have no siblings but I grew up and am very close with all my cousins. It felt weird to only have my female cousins stand with me so I made the decision to have my Male cousins stand with me too Smiley smile one of them lives in Japan and hes flying in later today. I cant wait to ask him!!
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Perfect thanks I will start looking soon 🙂
  • Sheena
    Beginner March 2022 British Columbia
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I had it made by a local company. You should be able to find a company online.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love the idea of a man of honour shirt where did you get it made?
  • Isaac
    Newbie June 2019 British Columbia
    Isaac ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am having a man of honour, my best friend of 25 years. My fiancé is having a best maid as his closet friend happens to be female. I think it’s awesome and honours the people you are closest to.

Also, I was married previously and the current man of honour was a man maid at my last wedding. He had a male partner from the grooms side and when they linked arms leaving the ceremony it was a funny and memorable part of the day.

Go for it! ☺️
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m the only woman that will be in my wedding party and I love it!My eldest son will walk me down the isle as I was pregnant with him during my practice marriage 🥴 my step son and my youngest son will be walking ahead of us and my best buddy Ryan is going to be my man of honour and the grooms bestie will be his.Never be afraid to break tradition it’s your wedding and it will be perfect no matter what you decide to do ♥️
  • Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should definitely do what you want, weddings are completely unique nowadays, and are meant to reflect the individual couples tastes and individualities! Do what makes you happiest, these need to be the people you trust to have your back no matter what that’s all that’s important!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's a great idea! It's YOUR wedding and screw tradition. It's the 21st century and you can have whomever standing up there with you Smiley smile

• Sheena
    Beginner March 2022 British Columbia
    Sheena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My first wedding was more than 10 years ago, and I had my male best friend as my Man of Honour. It was a little awkward when he went to bridal shows and stuff with me (everyone assumed he was my fiancé), but I ended up having a t-shirt made for him that said Man of Honour, and that cleared up the confusion a bit. It has definitely become more commonplace nowadays. The only thing to keep in mind is that it is usually the Maid of Honour's job to plan and host the shower and bachelorette party and some guys would not be very good at that sort of thing... Otherwise, do what feels right!

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have two men standing on my side and my fiance chose a close girlfriend of his to be his Best Woman. Do your thing!
  • Chelsea
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for the input ladies ! Congrats to all of you
  • S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have a man of honour (my best friend) and he is having his sister as his best woman. Go for it!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend had her brother and the photos were amazing, people had fun, it meant the world to her. If this is what you want, then do it! they will look good with any colors on them!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely go for it!! My FH is having a best woman and I was originally going to have one of my guy friends on my side, but plans changed (we good though lol)!

It's becoming more common to forget gender when it comes to choosing wedding party.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds good to me! Even better if they wear dresses Smiley tongue (Of course I'm JUST KIDDING!... but that would be funny...)

The bridal party should be the people that are closest to you, gender nowadays is barely a thing anyway so... I really don't see a reason not to!

P.S. Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the wedding wire community!!!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go for it!! I've been seeing the genders on opposite sides more and more and I love it! Also it seems so fun to match your party together and then your FH's party together!

Like if your groom and groomsmen are in grey and you want your side to be in... lets say blue! I would have your Man of Honour and Bridesman dress to match the other girls on your side instead of wearing grey to match the groomsmen! To ensure people know they're on your party!

I had a friend last year be a Groomswoman and she wore a grey skit and white top to match the other groomsmen and it was INCREDIBLE!

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do what you want and feel comfortable with it! I’ve been to weddings with a man as MOH, or standing on the bride’s side and they were beautiful.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics