Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Haley
Newbie September 2020 British Columbia

Makeup & hair costs

Haley, on September 17, 2019 at 19:25 Posted in Beauty 0 23
While I'm definitely getting my hair done, I've been waivering on getting my makeup done. The other night I finally came across a makeup artist who's work I adore and the plus side is that she does hair as well so I don't have to worry about coordination.

I have no concept of what the average cost is for these services, her bridal package (for hair and airbrushed makeup) is $830 for just me. That includes a 2 hour consultation, falsies, everything I think that I'd need. Bridesmaid makeup is priced at $125 for each (I'll have 3) and their hair cost would be around $120. All in I'd be looking at over $1500 for 4 of us. I'm willing to pay a little more than average for great quality, I'm just wondering how this price averages among everybody 🙂

23 Comments

Latest activity by Dallas, on November 24, 2020 at 21:23
  • Dallas
    Newbie December 2020 Nevada
    Dallas ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow my wife works at a makeup agency and even on their elite level doesnt cost that much. I would definitely google around and you might even find someone in your area.. You can check out one of the top agencies in Las Vegas for Hair and Makeup here or google something other companies but this one is called Aleuco Beauty Studio

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say that is overpriced. Ours was $622 for four of us in Jasper National Park ( which is higher than average for most services). I would check around more if I where you. Good luck.
  • Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow that sounds STEEP! Although I’m not sure what the average prices are like where you are. I’m near Toronto and the girl that’s doing my make up and hair is charging me $450 (including a $50 travel fee) and the trial is $200 additionally. Even so, it’s still less than a lot of the south Asian MUAH’s around here.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wut....I'm sorry, but that price is outrageous to me. Why is your hair and makeup $585 more than the bridesmaids hair and makeup?

I paid $55 for makeup and $70 for hair, and the cost for the bridesmaids was the exact same.

With the trial and the travel fees (they drove an hour out of the city to us), I paid $330 total.

I mean...you do you, and if your budget stretches to that, awesome!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's definitely a little pricy, but if you're confident in her work, I'd go for it. I paid just over $1000 for my hair and makeup + 2 others (mom and sister/MOH). The breakdown of it was my hair and makeup was $460 + tax and the rest was theirs.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow that seems steep to me. I found an artist that I love because she keeps everything looking natural, and she does hair and makeup, and for me, my best friend, grandma, and a family friend it's going to be $600 plus tip.

• Vanessa
    Beginner October 2019 Texas
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am flying a makeup artist in from Las Vegas, who does makeup for commercials, Cirque du Soleil, and worked with JLO during her residency. I am paying for her to do my makeup for rehearsal, my wedding day, and a round trip flight, and its not even remotely close to what you're paying. For myself and my maid of honor, my all in cost is $494 (not including tip.) I just think that is an insane amount to pay. Being a makeup artist myself, I understand that obviously you want the best for your big day! That just seems a bit steep to me! I should also note I am currently in Toronto, but getting married in my home state, Texas!

• Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have a friend that is a hairstylist doing my hair and my makeup at a salon for 75....but I am paying 850 for extensions however that won't be just for the wedding.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow thats a lot of money to do hair and makeup!! i def wont be spending that much i found hair and makeup for 300!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow. Makes me nervous. I haven't looked to hard at hair and makeup. I only have me and MOH (if she wants) so I will be going to a salon to get it done. I will not pay $850 for myself though. Wow.
  • Anna
    Newbie May 2020 Alberta
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Man alive!!! Those are some steep prices but that's just me. I don't like to compromise on quality but I would have thanked the vendor for the quote and continue looking. I am great at finding the right vendors at the right price so I can stay on budget and allocate my money to other areas. The prices the ladies mentioned above seem more reasonable in the $50 for bridesmaids, $75-125 for bride make up and hair around the same range.

If you can afford the rates and you are happy with your choice than you just need to stick to your plan. All the best!!
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That seems expensive. We paid $622 including tip for hair for four of us and make up for three of us in Jasper. No trails though as I live four hours away.
  • #GotmanTablefor2
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    #GotmanTablefor2 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on your budget and what you're looking for. I will not be spending $1500 on hair/makeup because that's a crazy portion of my budget to allot to something that is not worn, taken home, or fed to our guests.

I thankfully have hair dresser friends who will do it for next to nothing as a gift. And for makeup, I will be visiting my artist in the morning to get made up, that will save you as well.

I understand that its training, skills, products - but i am not a person who is willing to spend more than a month's worth of bills on hair/makeup for just myself.

• Taylor
    Beginner September 2022 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I worked as a makeup artist for a few years and I always hated it when people would complain about the cost of service, that said, that is an insanely steel price for just yourself. The other costs for your bridal party seems about right but $850 is very high. As others have said, in the grand scheme of things $1,500 isn't awful considering the cost of everything else in a wedding, but I truly think you can find some equally talented artists for a fraction of the cost.On the other hand, if you adore her work and have no problem spending the money by all means, go for it.
  • Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

WOW....OMG...I am impressed.

I guess she is very, very good if she charge you 830$!

I have worked in past as make up artist and have gone in make up course for that! But for last 9 years I dont practice it, but I still love to do make up for my self. I am happy that I will not need to pay for that! So far when I was looking pictures of make up artists in Canada, I have not been impressed. I dont understand how can you not put fake lashes to te bride, it is a must. For photos you need much stronger make up.And again, just because it is wedding hairstyle, you pay extra, I am more the sure. And my hair will be done by my sister, who is hairdresser.

I dont have any idea is that a normal price...But it sounds very expensive!

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, I think that is pretty average in BC. My HMUA charges minimum $500. I am spending a total of $850 for my hair & makeup and my moms as well. That price also includes a ferry and a $130 west coast travel fee since it is about a 2 hour drive each way. It included a hair & makeup trial and fake eyelashes as well. She did an AMAZING job on my hair and makeup and I am not complaining about the price. She also drove (1 hour each way) to my house for the trial.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is a little out there for a package! If that was me, I would steer clear of that pricing!

My hair and makeup together is $125. That includes false lashes and they are mobile so coming to us. I paid $100 for a trial as it was not included in the package, but it was a good deal so I had no problem doing it.

My girls hair and makeup is $105 including lashes,

• Carly
    Curious September 2020 British Columbia
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I think that's a little much (even for BC which yes everything is expensive here). The girl I hired does hair and makeup as well and for myself and the 5 members of my bridal party I am looking at just under $1000 for hair, makeup and my trial.

The girl I'm using is makeup by Ally Lynn. She is really good I hope her do my hair and makeup for my engagement photos. Her prices have gone up a bit since I hired her but they are still reasonable and her prices include flash eyelashes. The only thing not included is airbrush makeup but that is only an additional $50. Here is the link to her website if you want to have a look. http://www.makeupbyallylynn.ca/services/

If you are set on the girl you found though go for it. After all you only get married once.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Way too much!!! My FH's friend's wife does makeup and she normally charges about $75/person as for hair I didn't even look into it as my BM is a hair stylist.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s crazy. My package for 3 peoples hair and make up is like $750 and my HMUA is considered pricey.

id keep shopping around!
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wowza, that bridal package price is something else!
    Having said that, it sounds like her work really stood out to you in a way other bridal makeup hasn't. In the grand scheme of things, $1500 in the context of a wedding budget isn't that bad. If you really like her work, I would say bite the bullet and go for it.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow....That price for you as the bride sounds outrageous compared to the quotes I got here. Is it because you are getting it airbrushed on maybe? Might be worth asking what the non-airbrush rate is just for comparison.
    The rest of it seems pretty on par with the average here in NS. The make-up artist I am booking is a flat rate per-person, regardless of bride/bridal party/other, for $100 per person including flash lashes but no airbrush application. A lot of the hair stylists seem to be quoting similar range average $100 per head for anyone else and average of $110-125 for my hair as the bride.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Holy Moses that's a whopping number from what I've seen, although I know BC is generally more expensive than Ontario. For makeup, I'm paying $50 for my trial and $70 for bridal makeup. Makeup applications are also $70 for bridesmaids. Hair is $90 for the trial, $90 for long hair styling, and $75 for short hair styling.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics