Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Newbie May 2019 Ontario

Liquor on the tables during dinner?

Christina, on April 20, 2018 at 10:44 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13
Hi!
More than half the guests at my wedding will be Armenian/Russian.. Which means vodka and tequila shots are more likely to be consumed than wine. Has anyone ever planned or been to a wedding where the venue allows liquor to be on the dinner table?

Thanks!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Cathrine, on May 2, 2018 at 13:07
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't ask our venue if that was possible as it wasn't applicable to us, but i did notice they had an option on their breakdown sheet for shots during the receiving line. So apparently that happens enough for it to be a formal option listed.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Based on the venue, they inform you about open pouring at the tables. Given the fact that most have liquor license may not be allowed to have the open pour opt option.

We had to go through our venue to order champagne bottles if wanted. We chose not to and wine was served to every table during dinner time while they closed the bar for that time frame.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Maybe just have the bar open for dinner, especially if you think it will just be a waste of money to have wine.
  • Jen889
    Devoted May 2018 Quebec
    Jen889 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm Russian and I would never do this. People would get so drink early on in the evening if you provide liquor on the table. They will be totally fine with wine for dinner and open the bar after.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For most venues that will not be allowed to happen due to liquor policy and venue license. We are in a private venue so we are taking the liqour license ourselves so we have a bit more wiggle room with what we can and cannot do.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In Ontario you are not allowed to have free pour hard liquor at the table. Whether it be under your venue's liquor license or you are getting an Special Events Permit/License from the LCBO.
    Depending on how your venue is you could have the bar open during dinner. That is what I am doing (not even putting wine on the tables, go to the bar).

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As other's have been saying that is very strict with the liquor laws at the venue you choose. Some are more strict than others its best to ask!

I have never seen or heard of hard liquor bottles at the tables though... that would make for a rather interesting evening with my family ahaha!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem! If you are in a private venue where you are taking out your own liquor license, and providing your own liquor and server, it could be that the risk is "on you", in which case you can kind of choose what you want to do.

But for example, my venue provides the bar, license and liquor. So even "open bar", I would be paying for their provided liquor, on their license, and they have the final say on what's permitted.

• C
    Newbie May 2019 Ontario
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's super helpful to know, thank you!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used to bar tend, and I've never seen a liquor license that allows for liquor to be free poured at the tables... You definitely need to check with your venue, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's not allowed.

If you are providing the liquor, that might add a little more lee-way, but it will still depend on your liquor license. However, even with an open bar, there are still serving restrictions your venue needs to be respectful of or they can lose their ability to serve alcohol.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have not seen that at a wedding, but if that is what is common in the culture of many of your guests then go for it!

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ask the venues but I'm sure if they have wine and an open bar they'd be fine with liquor on the dinner tables.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had the option if I wanted the bar to be open or not so that guests could get drinks. We chose to keep it closed so we didn't have to pay for additional drinks, however it would be understandable that your guests would expect this or at least want it. There are definitely venues that will allow it, you may just have to search. Perhaps look for one that lets you bring your own alcohol as well, it will help with the costs of shots.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics