Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kayden
Newbie October 2020 Quebec

lgbt Wedding

Kayden, on August 18, 2018 at 11:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19
Is anyone out there planning a gay / queer / trans / LGBT wedding? My partner and I are starting on the planning stages, and because there's so little info out there, we're basically making it up as we go along. (Including trying to find LGBT-friendly photographers, men's clothing stores / tailors, etc.) Has anyone else gone through this? (We're also probably doing an autumn wedding, with DIY decorations.)

19 Comments

Latest activity by Harmony, on June 27, 2023 at 23:37
  • Harmony
    Newbie October 2024 Ontario
    Harmony ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How do you get to the gay wedding hub from the main app ?
  • Lauren
    Newbie April 2023 Ontario
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Joey,

This is great to know, thank you so much! It has definitely helped us start!

Take care!

Lauren

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Happy Pride, Lauren! And congrats on your engagement!

On WeddingWire we have a Gay Weddings hub, and we pride (pun intended) ourselves on our nondescrimination policy, which states all the vendors we have listed on WeddingWire promise they do not follow any discriminatory practices in their business. But beyond looking for LGBTQ+-friendly vendors, I LOVE that you're looking for 2SLGBTQIA+ owned businesses to support! Over on our sister site The Knot we have rolled out a special filter to support diversity so you can search for LGBTQ+ owned businesses. Now, TK is primarily US-only, so it may not offer lots of options (yet!) for Canada, but hopefully it will get you started.

lgbt Wedding 1

You can also check out https://www.canadagayweddings.ca/ and https://www.lgbtweddings.com/region/canada/. Happy planning!

• Lauren
    Newbie April 2023 Ontario
    Lauren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello!

I just discovered this thread while browsing WeddingWire for 2SLGBTQIA+ wedding planning tips!
    I hope your wedding was the day of your dreams! Congratulations!

My fiancé and I (2 brides) are planning a spring wedding in Niagara on the Lake ON. We are hoping to use as many 2SLGBTQIA+ owned vendors as possible! Is there any advice on finding 2SLGBTQIA+ owned vendors? I don't know if I should ask out right (I don't want to out someone if it is unsafe) and I can't tell from websites or portfolios.

Thank you and Happy Pride!

• Kayden
    Newbie October 2020 Quebec
    Kayden ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks to everyone who replied so far! For us, we did change vendors for the reception, but not because of the LGBT issue. (My former employers, who I really wanted to do our wedding, were not open to providing accommodations/discussing guests with autism/sensory difficulties i.e. that we couldn't do four full courses in the late afternoon, we wanted it to just be three, so people could leave faster but not have to miss anything, etc. etc.) We ended up at the Marriott Hotel, and they were so welcoming and kind, we have no issues and are just looking forward to it.

For our cake, we found an amazing soon-to-be-a-professional-baker via Montreal Chez Queer on Facebook - when they have a proper website/facebook info, etc. I can post it here. Super happy with them (their cake was amazing and we found them by chance).

Not sure about the DJ yet. Does anyone have any recommendations?

• Jenna
    Frequent user February 2021 Nova Scotia
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are planning a 2 bride wedding! I’m always upfront when making appointments that we are two women. We’ve been super lucky so far with our caterer, venue, photographer and even dress shopping.. so far everyone we have encountered has been really accepting and easy to work with!

Hope you’re having some luck with your planning!!
  • Alex
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Alex ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re also planning a lgbt wedding, 2 brides! And honestly being up front about it from the beginning is the best way! I am lucky and avent had any issues yet! As someone else said if they put bride and groom after I’ve already told them, I’m out! Hope your planning is going well!
  • Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey! I know you posted this a while ago but I just wanted to chime in. My partner and I are having an LGBT wedding (we are two women) and it hasn't been easy! I just tend to say the facts in emails. Two brides. I also avoid any businesses that make me answer questions and one of them says "bride" and the other "groom". I think a good hint is when it says "what is your partner's name?"

Since posting this, have you found good vendors?

• Kyle
    Newbie October 2019 British Columbia
    Kyle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey there! We are also planning a same-sex wedding and will be taking that extra step of making sure our vendors etc. Are LGBT friendly. We are just starting to plan for our autumn wedding and so far our plan is to be upfront from the get go to not waste any time. I am so happy to see this post and will continue to follow it for any advice and offer any I can contribute along the way. Happy planning! Smiley smile
  • Brette
    Beginner June 2019 British Columbia
    Brette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was in a wedding party of an LGBT wedding. They didn't wear suits.. they kept to khakis and suspenders type of style. Their wedding was so simple and beautiful, and soooooo much fun! Have never had so much fun at a wedding before.

They had small elements that showed who they were as a couple.. including a cake, that was layered rainbow.

Think the main goal is to be true to what you want your wedding to be and have it reflect you and your partner.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not but I have a couple friends who are in the middle of planning their wedding. They ended up going to the tailor I recommended (Surmesur) because they wanted to get different style suits made out of the same fabric and Surmesur will custom make anything (they made my FH's suit, its GORGEOUS).

• Dionne
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thankful for this discussion. My Fiancée and I are planning our wedding for next August. The only hitch we encountered was with suits. My beloved wants to wear a custom suit and a lot of places I called did not accommodate women. The ones that did were extortionate. We found a wonderful place called Empire Customs; in budget and they custom fit for women. A little awkwardness was encountered around vocabulary, as different vendors catch themselves saying "bride and Groom" and quickly change to "the couple". We have an awesome Officiant - Sarah Hall (LGBT friendly).

Good Luck!

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am too! Still in the early stages of planning and haven't run into issues as of yet - hopefully will not at all; but I want to follow this conversation none the less.

I agree with Sapna though - not much difference from a hetero wedding, I think the only issue some may run into would be with officiants. My venue is very supportive and everyone I have reached out to on here in terms of cake and photography has seemed accommodating.

For me personally, the most important thing is a supportive photographer. I want to be comfortable with whoever is doing our shots and not have to worry that I may be making THEM uncomfortable and have that reflect in the pictures. Anything else I don't care much about. Vendors are being paid for a service, I would hope they wouldn't pose an issue for anyone.

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My partner and I are at the finishing stages of planning our wedding for the end of September this year.

We looked for as many LGBTQ friendly vendors. I mainly posted on the local wedding groups to find the vendors that were friendly to us. Smiley smile Our officiant is a local drag queen, our decor vendors are rainbow friendly, my hair/makeup is a queer owned salon, and our venue (a restaurant) also friendly. Smiley smile

We ended up writing our own ceremony script that suited us, and kind of changed up a bit of the traditional man and wife type bits. If you want to see our script, you can certainly PM me and I will be glad to share. Smiley smile

• Sapna
    Beginner May 2019 Ontario
    Sapna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi, I’m planning a lesbian wedding as well. As far as planning goes, I don’t see it be being too different from a straight wedding. Two major differences that come to mind are modifying the ceremony to adapt to a same sex couple, and co-ordinating wedding attire without giving compromising the first look. Otherwise it’s all the same hassle.

Weve been talking to caterers and photographers so far and I haven’t encountered any awkwardness so far. However, we are planning a mehndi ceremony (to honour my south Asian roots) and I think that’s where most of the awkwardness will lie

ask away if you have any questions...
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although I'm not sure how many on here are planning an LGBTQ or similar wedding, but I'd bet the vast majority of us would be happy to help in any way we can! What I love seeing about weddings these days is there is no standard template for things you must or mustn't do, so feel free to plan what works for you and your fiancé.

My hope for you is that you are able to find vendors that don't make you feel awkward or uncomfortable - and if they do, move on. (And please let us know, as I'd be inclined to NOT use any vendor that would have an issue with LGBTQ weddings).

Good luck, congratulations and happy planning!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi guys! Congrats on your engagement.

Starting your planning will take some time to find all vendors. This site has so much to offer and resources. Look for particulars around your area.

The one thing I did was go on the internet for hours per day and look up packages, pricing, reviews on videographers and photographers.

Inquire personally with companies and bargain to fit your budget. Some packages can be altered for pricing if there is something you don't need on it. They also charge by number of hours, also inquire about that part.

Suits are readily available at many stores with many styles. Your best to go in person and check out rustic colours and how much more it would cost if you customized it.

There are a lot of things I did to make our day less expensive and affordable. If you want to know more, don't hestitate to ask.

• Megann
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Megann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I still dont get how people can still be so « awkward » about it in 2018. Love is love. Are they professionals or arent they?

Congrats on your wedding planning and hope everything goes smoooooth!
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi there!

were also planning an autumn wedding between my fiancée and I. There’s a few good articles on here, but you’re totally right about learning on the go. That’s what I’ve been doing for the past while! Luckily most so far has been pretty gracious and I’ve been really upfront about being one of two brides. Sometimes it’s awkward and when it is, I call it and head somewhere else.
    If you have any questions though, feel free to ask!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics