Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Let's talk wedding superstitions

Joey, on October 13, 2017 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 16

It's Friday the 13th today, and some people think that means bad luck is due! What wedding superstitions do you have? Did you avoid unlucky days when setting your date? Are you worried about rain on your wedding day, or hoping for it? Will you have something old, new, borrowed, and blue? Will you be hoping to find a spider in your wedding dress?

In some cultures rain is back luck, but in some it's considered good luck! Let's talk wedding superstitions 1

16 Comments

Latest activity by Joey, on March 15, 2018 at 08:42
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did old/new/borrowed/blue, and we didn't see each other until the ceremony, not to avoid bad luck but because I thought they were fun traditions.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Personally if the date is left in the whole year, take it. Of the couple is that superstitious, there may be ways to avoid and ways to work around it.
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think just following the "something old, new, borrowed, and blue" tradition. And the tradition of the groom not seeing the bride before the wedding

• Amanda
    Beginner July 2021 Nova Scotia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We actually wanted to get married on Friday the 13th. It's actually a lucky day for the both of us.

Also, I won't mind if he sees the dress... Just as long as he doesn't see me in the dress until I'm walking down the aisle. He, on the other hand, doesn't want to see it at all until then. Smiley tongue

Maybe all the old traditions and superstitions seem silly to me... I don't know.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have heard that the number 13 is considered lucky in Italy. I chose September 24th because all through my life the numbers 3, 6, and 9 were significant. September is the 9th month, and 2+4 = 6. Another superstition I followed was that my husband couldn't see me in my dress before the wedding. That's about it. I would cringe if I found a spider in my dress. Ewww!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only thing I followed was my husband not seeing the dress before the wedding. I actually asked him because it didn't bother me if he did but he chose not to know what I would look like until I walked down the aisle.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya. It was just one of those things where he knew the pics were on there but had a brain fart and wasnt thinking about that. Lol. Oh well. Trying not to let it bum me out! We werent going to make a big deal of the 'first look' anyway and we are doing all our pics before the ceremony, so not the end of the world! And he only saw the dress from the back before he panicked and turned the phone off lol.
  • Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My FH has been banned from using my phone until the wedding for this exact reason! That's such a bummer Smiley sad

• Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The traditions I am going to stick with are the "something old, something new, something borrows, something blue" and him not seeing my dress until we do first looks! And I hope I don't find a spider in my dress!

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did the whole something old something new...even had a lucky sixpence for my shoe!
    We didn't see each other beforehand
    I also didn't use any of the items I received from my bridal showers beforehand. I'm not sure if that was luck or just an etiquette thing but I became quite superstitious about it
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only two I did was him not seeing me until I walked down the aisle and the "something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue".

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only tradition I’m doing is the new, old, blue, borrowed. New = my dress blue = my boots and I’m having my hair with pastel blue streaksBorrowed = my moms veilOld = still need to find something
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't let my husband see my dress before and I did the "something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue". We're also saving a piece of wedding cake to eat on our first anniversary, but that feels more like an initiation into the old married couples club than a superstition at this point!

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Was hoping to follow this! Turns out he was scrolling through my phone pics a week ago amd saw a pic of my dress Smiley atonished
  • Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am not hoping for rain, we are having an outdoor ceremony so that would suck! I am following the "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" because I know it means a lot to my Mom. I have never heard of the spider in your wedding dress superstition... I am definitely not hoping for that LOL.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The only tradition that I am following is that my FH will not see my dress before the wedding! That is a surprise until our first looks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics