Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Devoted July 2023 British Columbia

Let them eat cake!

Amanda, on August 11, 2019 at 22:44 Posted in Wedding reception 0 7
Hi! We are having a three course sit down dinner, a cocktail hour with passed hors d’oeuvres and a midnight (sweet/savoury) table later in the evening. I know seems like a lot but it is an Italian wedding so to us it really isn’t. The dilemma for us is when to serve the wedding cake?! Do we serve it as the dessert at the end of meal, or when the midnight table is put out? Most weddings I have attended they have it served with the midnight table, and my fear is that by that point not everyone will try it. Which will be a shame because it is incredibly delicious! When will you be serving your wedding cake?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Miav, on August 12, 2019 at 14:52
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thinking to cut the cake after dinner, before the mother-son,father-daughter dances (that will transition to the dance party). Traditionally, the cake cutting gives a signal that some guests can go home if they want to. So we didnt want to cut too early or too late either!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We won't be serving wedding cake - but if we were then we would just make it a point to do the cake cutting before supper even! We aren't the type of people to stick to order anyway - and this way we can allow for the cake to be cut and ready for dessert.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue-provided dessert will be served right before speeches begin, which will be 1/2 hour MAX! My FH and I might do the shoe game right after our speech, and then serve cupcakes (we have a small cake for us to cut to signal that cupcakes are now being served).

We didn't want to do right as our late night snack rolls out since some people might not stick around for it and they miss out on cupcakes - which we want everyone to experience!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would serve it with dessert for sure. We are only serving ours to our wedding party and parents, during dessert. And everyone else will get the dessert the venue provides
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would personally serve it with dessert or shortly after that (maybe after all the first dances and speeches if you are doing those?) rather than at midnight. The reasoning: A lot of etiquette books and people I know say that the first polite opportunity if you need to leave is after the couple cut the cake together. Placing it at midnight might have people missing it too if they are not night owls.

• A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The venue gives us the choice to pick a dessert that they offer or to serve our cake as the dessert of choice. I do like the idea of the cake boxes and guests taking some home. Most guest will have rooms booked for the night and a brunch will be offered the next day, but who doesn’t like to indulge in a piece of cake for breakfast sometimes!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t serving the wedding cake, it’s just for us. Our guests are getting cupcakes at the midnight table.

it depends on your venue. Is your venue serving a dessert already? If so, I wouldn’t serve the cake with the meal as that’ll be a bit much at once. I’d serve it later in the evening. Some people will miss out for sure but you can always get some cake boxes and get people to take slices home!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics