Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emmaandjenn
Beginner August 2017 British Columbia

Legal name changes

Emmaandjenn, on January 17, 2017 at 23:45 Posted in Living together 0 3

The SS Amphitrite

Jenn and I want to change our name to Amphitrite but we need to do all the legal paper work.

Shes a Davidson and im a Hopkins we are choosing to come up with an original name to share.

Can our wedding officaint gather the required documents to be signed at our ceremony and submitted later??

3 Comments

Latest activity by Valerie, on January 18, 2017 at 09:04
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As Lisa said all paperwork is the responsibility of the couple, the officiant just checks all the legal bits and mails it out. But they may be able to at least know what you need to do in your province and might be able to offer some guidance.

Very cool that you are both taking a new last name together! I always loved the idea but FH is dead against it

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Emma! That's a cute name! Definitely matches your mermaid theme Smiley winking You should take a look at this article to see how you can change your last name after the wedding. How to Legally Change your Name

However, I think you should also check with government procedures to see if the process would be different since the last name you want is not one of your current last names. How did you come up with the name? Smiley smile Are you a fan of mythology? Smiley smile

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Normally those are not responsibilities of the officiant. There's a variety of documents like long form birth certificate etc that needs to be provided to I believe the federal government when you are changing your name legally and possibly provincial in the province of British Columbia, I'm not entirely sure as I'm more familiar with how it works in Ontario. That being said, you could ask your officiant if that's a service they provide, normally it's not. If they do decide to help you with it they may charge you a fee.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics