Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karen
Expert September 2018 Ontario

Last name

Karen, on March 11, 2018 at 23:11 Posted in Before the wedding 0 32
I have been thinking about whether I should keep my last name or have my FH last name after we get married. At first, I really didn't want to change my last name mainly because I don't want to deal with changing my IDs. But now I'm stuck & unsure. Are you guys changing your last name? Or not
If I hyphenated it, it'll be the longest last name ever so it's not an n option for me.

32 Comments

Latest activity by Valérie, on March 18, 2018 at 18:03
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm still on the fence about it.

1) Being from Qc, culturally only my grandparents and generations before them took their husband's last name. After that, women just keep their maiden name (by law). So for me to have a choice, it just feels weird and a bit wrong (got LOTS of backlash from my family).

2) I find it ever so romantic to take my FH's last name, to be called Mrs. and it sorts of seals the deal. I mean, our friends already calls us by his last name.

• Jessica
    Curious July 2020 New Brunswick
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I mgonna take my husband name...because for me its really important ....i think its an honnor for every woman to take is husband name...
  • Danielle
    Curious November 2018 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm changing my name. Personally, I find it as a sign of respect for my husband. Not too mention that I want to proudly show off that i'm "MRS. ______"

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always thought of keeping my last name as Vanessa Van Kooten always sounded amazing. How many people have the same first 3 letters in there 1st name and their last last name Van Van. And my initials VVK as I'm Dutch. I admit I will miss it and I thought about hyphenating or adding 2 names it but than it wouldn't fit on a form and I feel sorry for doing it to my daughter with her fathers last name which will not be the same as my married name as her father and I have not been together for going on 6 years. I am not looking forward to the long legal process of changing everything but Pepin is shorter and French and also means seed in english lol and hey VP for initials is pretty good. I'll always be Very Pretty or Vice President lol. Make sure your decision is important and meaningful to you and your spouse.

• Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is unique way to have a reason to change your last name. I'm now on the side of changing it for the sake having 1 family name.
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have a weird reason for wanting to change my name. I want to be published one day, but I have a very popular first-name last-name combo, with some who have published before. My google search of "Emily" with my FH last name only brings up one other person. So for uniqueness I'll probably change my name lol. You could also go by your husband's last name, but legally still keep your own Smiley smile Which is something I've thought of doing too.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be changing my name (not looking forward to the process). I hear that combing last names to make a new name is a new thing.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I changed my last name in the US and it was a BIG pain in the butt! You just don't realize how many different places you need to update your name!

I'm still getting used to my new name a year and half later!! Smiley shame

• Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel exactly the same way. Never thought I'd change my name but am now super excited to take my FH's last name.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I plan on changing my last name but I work for the federal government and with all the Phoenix issues I haven't done it yet as I don't want to screw anything up.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone, just a different idea!

• Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Woahh never heard of this. But I'm sure that's going to be alot of paper work. I already have a daughter with my FH and she has his last name so it'll be a load more work if i do that. But if it works for you that's unique to tell people.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We've talked about combining our last names to make a new one! We'll probably have more paperwork to do that for IDs but I like the idea of having one name for our family but still keeping a part of both our names. I read an article of a couple doing that in BC, hopefully it's possible in Ontario!

• Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Traditionally my last name will be my middle name. I have a daughter and we used my last name as her middle name. I'm heart is sort off Going to changing my last name now as i want my family to be one. Just sucks that i gotta deal with changing all my IDs.
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

SO much this. I absolutely love my last name - it just fits so well with my first and my family is really big on our Scottish heritage (FH even pulled off a proposal near my ancestral homeland near Loch Lomand Scotland).

Despite this, I'm with you in making the change. I really like the traditional aspect of changing your last name to become a new family. And hyphenating definitely does NOT work for our names, doesn't sound great and would be super long.

I love your idea of using it as a middle name if you have a surname that fits, wish mine did Smiley sad

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My best friend is a teacher who just got married last year and she felt the same way. She hyphenated her last name on legal documents but in the classroom has chosen to stick with just her last name because she worked so hard for recognization in the school board.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am the last person with my last name in my family and I've very attached to it.

I decided I am changing my last name, because its important to me to be a family and connected that way.

But I'm heart broken about changing it. I think i'll keep it as another 'middle' name so I know its there even if I don't use it.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely a personal choice. I'm more traditional when it comes to that, so I will be changing my name.

Something to consider if you live in Ontario, is that if you do elect to change your name, you can don't need to legally change it (like switch your birth certificate). There is still some work involved, but it sounds easier to do.

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Bahaha so funny!
  • Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My passport i think has 7-6years more but yes it does take alot of effort changing all IDs. It'll be totally Awsome if men can change their last name to ours.....is 2018 time to change! Lol
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not sure. I believe I’m going to keep my last name for work (I’m an OT, and my goal is to have my own class one day) and I worked very hard and long to keep my maiden name. Also I just renewed my passport last year! Lol I don’t wanna change it now, it would be a waste of money! Lol
    plus changing all my IDs is too much. Though my FH wants me to change my last name to his. So we will see. I wish the men could change their last name to the other spouse. Haha
  • Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I did tried to also have him take my last name. I didn't work unfortunately.
  • Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We do have a daughter together. She has his last name. And my Fiance do want me to take hisLast name. I do see your point as well that as a family traditionally having one family name. Also that way my children wouldn't ask why i have a different name.
  • Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This!!!!! Exactly how I've always been and how I feel now!
  • Audrey
    Curious August 2019 New Brunswick
    Audrey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am not changing mine. I never felt the need To change it and my fiancé is totally ok with my decision.
  • T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I always said I was going to keep mine till I met my FH. I want nothing more to have his name now ❤️
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm going to change mine because A) hyphenating it was not an option, and B) this is something that will be special for both of us.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm changing my name. I feel like it's another way to bring us together as a family. I want to have the same name as my children. That part outweighs the hassle of changing my ID to me.

If you're unsure, you could always legally keep your last name but use his last name for anything that doesn't require ID (e-mail, for example).

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in the same boat!! I wasn’t going to change it, I love my last name and I feel more like myself with it. But then we have to renew our passports and now I’m like, should I just take his name? What about when(if) we have kids and I want to travel with them, that will add more hassle (have to have a letter signed by my fiancé saying I can take our child (because of the different last name). I don’t want to hyphenate it either. I tried convincing him to take mine (lol-that was a no go).
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am changing mine! It just feels right to me (I don't know why though). Just my opinion for myself though. And haha I totally know what you mean, mine would be super long as well. But honestly go with what you think, discuss it with your fiancé, if he doesn't mind and you still feel like you don't want to change it, then don't.
  • Amyfanggg
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Amyfanggg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not changing mine. ID's being a hassle is my reason for sure!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't really like hyphenated names so I'm glad that's not an option for you lol. For me I also am not looking forward to changing my name on all my ID and I'll have to get my passport new even with 7 years left on it. But personally it is worth it. I think it really ties the couple together and when/if you have kids together either already or in the future you'll have one family name and I love that. I like the traditional aspect of taking the name. If you want his last name and it means something to you and him then I think you should do it, even though all the paperwork for ID and name change is a pain in the butt. If it's what you want then it's worth it 😊 What does your fiancee think of it?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics