Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cristina
Newbie May 2018 British Columbia

Kids at reception?

Cristina, on August 31, 2017 at 16:36 Posted in Wedding reception 0 12

I love having kids around, but our wedding isn't set up for everyone's kids.

The tricky thing is that my nieces and nephews will be there, along with some family members' children as well as the best man's children...

How can we find a polite way to let guests know that additional kids won't be invited?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 1, 2018 at 09:18
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I put the number of guests on my rsvp to indicate per household. It is something to think about when making wedding cards. I have always seen that on the invitations i have received.
  • Cristina
    Cristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the tip!

• Cristina
    Cristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the advice!

• Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love it! I'm worried since we have a destination wedding that people may make kid arrangements without them being invited! We are saying no to pets, kids and plus-ones. Already people are assuming they're bringing a date.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We addressed our "Save the dates" (and will be the same for the invitations) to exactly who we were inviting. For example in one case, my cousins name, and her husbands name, not their children's names. We used "Appy couple" for our guests info & RSVP's. There is an option to group people together too. So if my cousin were to RSVP her name, her hubands name would show up as an option to RSVP, and not her kids. Again, kind of a way to show they weren’t invited.

We also put this on the website under the Events section.

FAQ's
    RSVP questions

• Shelby
    Frequent user October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We haven't invited any children to our wedding. If the invitation was addressed to a family of 1+ children we just wrote how many people were invited ie. we have reserved 2 seats in you honour
  • Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had the same problem so we allowed all family to bring kids but no friends. We didn't really say anything, we just put on our invite "we have saved _____ seats for you" and put the number that we had saved for them. No one said anything to us and only person said they couldn't come unless they could bring their infant but they are only 6 months so whatever.

• Cristina
    Cristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!!!

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We couldn't invite everyone's children either. I agree with the 2 out of _______ seats. or addressing it to Mr. and Mrs. so and so. I know at my cousins wedding that I wasn't invited too as of recently my dad could not go so my daughter stepped in as my mom's #2 and they accommodated and my daughter was on her best manners. But there was other children as well. But they did not say anything about no children or anything and the dinner was already paid for.

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do have some children at my wedding, but verbally I have told everyone that I'm sending out invites for 2 people only. Some households will be getting 2 and 3 invitations, because I'm sending invites to cousins, neices, and nephews that have finished or about to finish High school their own invitations, that allows for them to bring a guest. One of my bridesmaids has 4 boys and one of them is my ring bearer, and we have talked about them leaving after the first dances, I have invited their grandparents to dinner so they can take them to their place after. We are having 180 people, and over my planning process I have talked to most so they know before they even receive the invites.

• Cristina
    Cristina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks! All good ideas!
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi there Cristina!

As far as excluding children, you do this by specifying who IS invited, so you don't have to say who is NOT invited. Address the envelope to the people who you are inviting, like "Mr & Mrs Lastname", or "Tom and Jerry Lastname", rather than "The Lastnames". You can also put on your RSVP card "Two seats have been reserved in your honour" or "___ out of 2 guests attending" and leave the blank for them to write in whether none, one, or both of them are coming.

Just be prepared that some people may be confused if they are told children cannot come but they see children present at the reception. You'll want to be prepared with an answer, perhaps something about the budget not accommodating everyone's family.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics