Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Courtney
Super July 2018 Ontario

Just a bit sad.

Courtney, on February 17, 2018 at 21:23 Posted in Before the wedding 0 8

Really bad title, I know.

I'm feeling very.. sad for my wedding right now and was just hoping to get some words of encouragement.

It's been a bit of a difficult road as my FH's family hasn't been supportive. They probably think they have been, but that we've been rude because I did not ask his sister to be a bridesmaid (We're not close, FH and his sister aren't that close, and I have 4 very close girlfriends that were important to stand up with me).

My FMIL has been VERY upset by this and has made statements about how I 'hate his sister' and how 'our wedding day will be very sad because the three siblings won't be standing up at the front together'.

My FH clearly feels like his mum doesn't approve of him as a person, and that his siblings are higher on the food chain then him. It's heart breaking to know he doesn't feel loved by his mother.

For me, its hard to have an inlaw with no interest about the wedding. She wasn't excited at our engagement (just kept talking about his sisters wedding) and said she wasn't excited because she knows I'm strong willed and doesn't want to upset me (nonsense). Since then, just no interest at all.

Just hard to go into a family that doesn't want to welcome me. Which is too bad, as I'm sure they'll say its my fault over the bridesmaid situation.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Jeannette, on August 27, 2018 at 22:13
  • Jeannette
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Jeannette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My Man wasn't popular with my Dad at first. It only took a few years before the other sibling scewed up so bad that my FH is now my Dad's favorite. I'm not recomending a 12 year engagement but it knida worked for me. Now that I think about it my FMIL didn't like me at first either. Now I'm her favorite.... I think.

• Erin
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    And I have two bridemaids who never help out much and donr come or events we have
  • Erin
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know the feeling to well my fiance family never want together r hangout.Especially his mom and sister tgey never want do things together.You think you want to get know that person especially have new sister law.but my sister law doesn't even seem interested at all.Then when I ask her try ask her if she like to go see a movie or go shopping for fun she doesn't act tbey care.The daily doesnt act like they care
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry that this is your experience with your future in-laws. I hope that you and your FH can move past it and still feel all the excitement and happiness that comes with your union. Don't forget that it doesn't matter if anyone else supports you because in the end you will always have each other.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My thoughts are with you and I hope that your in laws come around. I know from personal experience how it hurts when I felt my dad didn’t love me. I did a lot of work around my relationship with my dad and I now have a better relationship with him.

I hope your wedding is beautiful and just think of all the comments on here we are all wishing you the best. Even though I don’t know you and I live on the other side of the country I think you are an amazing strong individual filled with so much love. I wish you all the best and remember your happiness is not dependant on your in laws and that your wedding day is about you and your FH and the happiness you two will create together. Sending lots of energy and love your way Smiley smile
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m so sorry you have to deal with this, Courtney. Unfortunately you’re not the only one who goes through things like this (literally the exact same situation with my in-laws) so I know exactly where you’re coming from and how you’re feeling - it’s emotionally exhausting.

Your wedding WILL be amazing though because it will be you and your FH making a special promise to each other. I know the stress of it all can get overwhelming - especially when in-laws are involved.

Remember, you’re not alone whatsoever in this! You have your FH, your 4 close girlfriends, and your own family who support this are ARE excited!

• Kris
    Frequent user June 2018 British Columbia
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Aww, I so sorry to hear that you (and your FH) are having a bad time with the in-laws. It can be so hard to have the wedding you want, trying to include everyone and keep the peace. I agree with Rebecca, that you and your fiancé are family and that you have each other to turn to. I hoe that things get better as I know you will have an amazing day at your wedding Smiley smile

• Rebecca
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m so sorry you’re going through this and you feel that way, that’s awful.
    Honestly planning my wedding has made me realize that you can’t please everyone unfortunately. It’s definitely a difficult situation but try and be as positive as you can be. You and your fiancé are now each other’s family, as long as you have each other it will all be worth it !
    Hope things look up for you Courtney

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics