Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Melissa
Frequent user September 2018 Quebec

Is/was a videographer a must?

Melissa, on August 8, 2018 at 21:46 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9

Our wedding is coming up in September and for a long time FH and I weren't interested in having a videographer. We had asked around to see if people felt like it was worth the money, if they watched their wedding videos, etc., but most said it wasn't or that they really don't watch it. So, FH and I decided to skip it.

However, we also decided on an "unplugged" ceremony so guests may be present and our photographers can do their job without any issues. This means that there will be absolutely no videos of the ceremony and I guess I'm somewhat afraid of regretting that. Thoughts?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Rachael, on August 13, 2018 at 09:30
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I decided to skip a videographer; while it would be nice to have a wedding video, we'd prefer to put our budget toward something else.

I don't think you'll regret having an unplugged ceremony; if you'd like to designate a guest or two to film in place of a videographer in case, that may make you feel more secure about your decision.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to set up one or two tripod small video cameras. Between the stationary videos and our photographer, I'm thinking I will be able to put a small ceremony video together with my own movie software.

I think having one stationary video camera, like old school home movie, would suffice. Place it somewhere with a good view, but out of the photographers way. It won't conflict with your "unplugged" ceremony, because it's your camera, not cell phones or whatever.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have one and that was fine with us but my uncle's wife ended up capturing the whole thing on her iPhone anyway so it was a bonus. We have looked at the video briefly once but it is nice to know we have it should we ever want to relive the day.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting a videographer and the main reason is that I’m going to incorporate my First Nations heritage in the wedding. My brothers are going to do traditional drumming and singing for me as I walk down the isle and also during the signing of the papers. I know we could get someone in our family to do it, but I don’t want it to be shaky and maybe missing something important. We will get about a 15 minute cinematic wedding highlight as well we will get the full days footage colour corrected and edited. So afterwards we can edit another video together if we choose to. I think it will be a nice memory and not all of my family will make it and so it will be a nice way to share the wedding.
  • Hailey
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH and I think a videographer is a must! It’s a lot of money to spend on one day, what’s a little bit extra to be able to watch it and relive it whenever we want! From a lot of portfolios I’ve seen they do such a good job capturing the emotion of the day as well, and I would really like to relive it, to years down the road be able to watch my fathers face as he gives me away, etc. There’s just something about videography that can’t be captured with stills.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am really wanting a video of the ceremony even though we won't even be doing anything special other than repeating the same words that most do. HOWEVER - there is no way I am paying thousands of dollars for that so I will be taking the route of doing what Stephanie suggested - setting up a tripod and hitting record Smiley tongue Also doing first look photos so I will have our genuine reactions already captured before walking down the aisle.

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We asked one of my Husbands aunts last minute to sit at the back with a camera recording. She wasn’t really seated with anyone else, so no one who didn’t know that we had asked her really even noticed. It is just an ameture video, and maybe kinda shaky, but we have it. Forever. And after the fact, I’m so glad we did it
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I felt a videographer was a must to have for the day and to look back years down the road. I will be getting my wedding dvd redone as it has 2 guests shown on their cell phones taking selfies.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you want a recording of your ceremony, you could always set up a tripod with a camera. It won’t be a professional video but it will capture what you want. We didn’t record our ceremony at all and I am fine with just having the memories of the day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics