Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Newbie November 2020 Ontario

Is it weird to assume my fiance's name before getting married?

Jessica, on September 18, 2018 at 17:32 Posted in Living together 0 14

Hi all, just a quick question: would it be odd if i started using my fiance's last name socially before we got married? I won't legally change it until we're married, but we just went common-law and i feel much more like Jessica hislastname than Jessica mylastname.

Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly+Raquel, on April 17, 2022 at 17:55
  • N
    Curious June 2023 Ontario
    Nelly+Raquel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since ergot engaged last month and we closed our own bank account and opened our joint accounts together I’ve been using Raquel’s last name. We made the decision that I would take her last name
  • C
    Newbie April 2023 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m so glad someone asked this! I’ve been waiting to get a new email but don’t feel confident yet. I agree that it’ll be exciting and special to wait
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was thinking about it and toying with it. I changed the name on my cell phone, so when android auto comes on it says connected to mynamehislastname.

We have been together for 7 years but I'm going to wait til its legally done.

I never thought of the email address. I think im going to try it out and use it after the wedding.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I understand. I’ve already got my new email and have been making arrangements on unofficial stuff. I think it makes the transition easier
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only use it these days when I'm making new professional contacts, since it's only 8 months until the official change. I also reserved my "new" email, but I won't use it til after the wedding.

• Natalie
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it’s any consolation I just reserved my new firstnamelastname email address before it was gone.

But I do feel weird using it until we’re married. I want to though! We’ve been together for seven years, we’re basically already there anyway.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't have facebook for quite some time so when i recently made a new one I made one using his last name so I wont have to worry about changing it later on. Smiley smile do whatever feels right for you.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Anything like facebook or socially. I think its weird to go by your last name. when its not yours yet (regardless of common-law).

different if your friends joke. like in my core crew of friends. we call all the guys by their S/O's last name (one friend even addressed our wedding invitations with jenniferHISlastname MackMYlastname). too funny. we were dying laughing.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I think having your name changed the day of/after the wedding is a bit of an exciting time to show you're officially married...

My fiance and I have been together over 5.5 years, living together for most of that time... And I am very excited to change my e-mail, FB name, desk plaque at my office, e-mail signature, etc... but I'm going to do all that after the wedding. I think it takes away from it a little to do it early...

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are also common-law and have been for a while but the thought never really crossed my mind till recently. Our first child is due in a month and a half and I kind of hate that I'll have a different last name then them for 6 months.. I was considering just doing it socially and waiting till after the wedding for the legal part.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and I did this before we were married. We would refer to ourselves as the hislastnames. I still used my last name though until after we were married. Kept some of the excitement going!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t see why not! Personally I like the excitement of taking it after getting married so we’ve been common law for like 4 months. But if you want his last name now, definitely start using it. But definitely hold off on legally changing it because you have way more paperwork plus it’ll cost you money rather than just adopting it after marriage.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

100% agree with this.

FH and I are already common law but I won't be legally changing my last name until post-honeymoon just because I don't feel like doing it beforehand lol.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not in the same boat but I would think that it would be no problem to start going by his last name - especially in professional work situations so that down the road they don't confuse you.

It's a personal choice all in all really - I won't be doing so but that's because we won't be common law until July next year and we get legally married in October (one day before you actually Smiley smile ).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics