Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tiffany
Frequent user August 2023 Ontario

Is it too early to begin purchasing decor?

Tiffany, on June 11, 2019 at 14:36 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21
My wedding is 2 years away. My FH and I are paying for it ourselves so we set a longer engagement to help with this. I found a few things we both liked for our wedding so I purchased them....is this too early to be doing this? Am I crazy for doing it so early? HELP

21 Comments

Latest activity by Alie, on June 16, 2019 at 23:24
  • Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Make a list and buy as you go... Check off when you got it... And store in water and dust protection containers... Hope this helps!
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I never even thought of Cyber Monday! Thanks for reminding me. You are a genius!!
  • E
    Ontario
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is never really a right time to purchase the things you need. As long as you know what you want, then give it a go. Looking forward to your wedding! Congratulations. Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think it’s too early! If you know what you want, and don’t think you will change your mind in a year, go for it. It gives you lots of time to hunt for deals.
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! This is my hope. I want to be ahead of the game so we can relax before the big day and not stress. Also not be running around at the last minute. We are lucky enough that we have a great family that has offered to store things for us plus we are storing some stuff at our place as well.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have somewhere to store everything that I would say for sure start buying now! It will help spread out the costs and if you need to DIY for anything this will give you a bunch of extra time for that as well! We got everything done early and we had next to no stress the last 3 months before the wedding so I highly recommend starting asap Smiley tongue

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm starting to browse for decor as well at over a year out. Really waiting until Cyber Monday sales but if I can pick up any good deals in the meantime, I'll definitely go for it!

• Flora
    Frequent user September 2021 British Columbia
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The cost adds up fast so if you can start squirreling away items now i say go for it.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not too early at all! I got most of the decor purchased by a year before the wedding (I also had a 2 year engagement).

One thing to note is that if you change your vision, you may feel "stuck" with certain items - you can sell on local wedding groups on FB and the marketplace, but it can be a pain.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The earlier the better - as long as you don't change your mind on things! But even then you can try selling them on FB Market Place or Kijiji anyway!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its never late to do anything.

Décor rental wise, we paid a deposit and the remaining at the time of pick up. Purchasing can be anytime you choose. Favours were very early too for us and you may not be doing anything as a keepsake. Edibles can be arranged a month ahead of your choice if choosing this path.

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No, you get the best deals by looking earlier. Plus an added bonus is it is easier on your pocketbook when you stretch your purchases over a longer length of time.
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So these are our guest book and the Mr and Mrs sign we have purchased so far

Is it too early to begin purchasing decor? 1

Is it too early to begin purchasing decor? 2
  • Tiffany
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you everyone for the kind words! It made me feel less like a weirdo knowing that others have done it too. I have gone super crazy (yet). Just picked up a few things, some at ridiculous cheap prices. We grabbed our guestbook which is a wish jar at a business that was going out of sale for $5. A Mr and Mrs for $2 for free because someone lady was throwing it out after her garage sale and table runners because I love love loves them.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's never too early if you have a set theme or ideas ready to go! We started buying things here and there and closer to the wedding we found we didnt like them anymore or they werent working with our design (we changed centerpieces probably 4 times) I would say for sure start looking! If you find something you LOVE go for it! But dont go too crazy just yet!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes. And No.

I thought I had a pretty clear vision, and ended up changing my mind after purchasing things. Currently trying the sell these things on local wedding groups, which is a pain.

Its nice to feel ahead on the planning though. The more recent purchases are definitely more within the vision after having time to put all the other elements of the day in place.

• Alli
    Frequent user November 2019 Alberta
    Alli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not too early. My FH and I also will have a two year engagement by the time we get married (four months to go!) and we started collecting at about the 1 1/2 mark. Honestly, I've been able to score so many great deals because of that reason. But also, there are things I've purchased and now have resold them! Smiley shame

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is never too early when it comes to wedding planning. Just make sure that once you do buy items, you do not change your mind, or find a way to use it somewhere else so it is not wasted.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As long as you don’t think you’ll be changing your theme or colours by the time the wedding comes, I don’t think it’s too early.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not too early, just sometimes you might change styles or might change your mind about the colors or themes. Make sure what your getting you really like or know what you want. The theme i thought wanted wish could change and slowly have but making what bought work.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not too early! I think being prepared is key (especially when DIY-ing some things like décor and whatnot).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics