Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2019 British Columbia

Is it realistic to make your own wedding cake ?

Miao Miao, on February 12, 2019 at 15:58 Posted in DIY 0 23
Hi Ladies,

1. Is it realistic to make your own wedding cake ? Did you make your own cake ? How much did it cost you to make ?How do you make it ? Store it ? Deliver it ? Where do you get the tools ? How long did it take you to make it ? Is it worth it ?

If yes, reason ?
If not, do you have any recommendations around Vancouver area? My budget is under $300 if I do decide to hire someone to do it.

My vision is having one or two cake on top. And just use cup cakes or donuts below. See pictures. Will this be a cheaper option Instead of many layers?

2. What about a fake cake ? Did you have a fake cake at your wedding?

Thanks again. You ladies are awesome Smiley smile oxox.

Is it realistic to make your own wedding cake ? 1

Is it realistic to make your own wedding cake ? 2

23 Comments

Latest activity by BunnyBride, on April 6, 2019 at 17:26
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't recommend it.

First question, which will answer most of yours, is how much experience do you have cake decorating and how recently have you practiced? If the answer is none or minimum to either/both, I personally wouldn't recommend going down this route. If you have a good amount of experience, it's realistic but is going to require extra last minute logistics. I have helped my sister with weddings (she's a pastry and cake chef - Canadian Red Seal certified and specializing in this stuff), so I have literally helped do this for weddings before.

If you don't have tools, price out what you need to do it first. Tips, bags, fondant mix and tools, etc. can add up real fast. Cake decorating is not a cheap hobby (I and my bank account speak from experience! lol). You could easily spend most of your budget on those tools and supplies alone.

The cake needs to be done a day or two before, max, so, if baking is stressful instead of relaxing or you have a lot of last minute details, weigh that in your decision.

Set up time needs to be considered - depending on venue and if you are "flipping the space" between ceremony/reception. If the venue is getting flipped (when photos are also most commonly taken), you will need someone you trust who is not needed for photo to deliver the cake, set it up, AND also has cake decorating experience for any last minute repairs or touch-ups for any bumps that happened on route, big or small. Professional bakers can do this on the fly if it happens and often do. I'm not saying this to scare you with that last point, but it does happen and so you can make an informed decision.

I don't know anyone in the Vancouver area for recommendations. Sorry :-(

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say it's best to leave it to a professional! You'll likely be stressed about 100 other things, and the cake will not help! It would probably take a few days to make a cake with all of the prep and stuff that goes in to making a cake. And if it doesn't come out how you wanted, you'll probably regret it.

Cupcakes are a super affordable option and are the "in" thing right now. Or even like a donut wall.

If your mind is set on a cake, you can have as many layers as you want to be "fake" and super realistic looking.

Hope this helps!

• Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If I had my mom's baking anr decorating genes, then yes I'd totally do it. I can make a mean cake, but to ice it and it look yummy is a whole other story
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you could totally make your own cake.

I like the cake/donut combo, but skip the fake cake idea.

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

THIS is so helpful! So great to have information from a pastry chef!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omg that’s so sweet of her! She’s training like that for your wedding day, I’m guessing also because she love it too ! But still so wonderful!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That’s so awesome your mom is helping out like that!!! Smiley smile

• Terri
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am doing my own cake, just a small 8 inch round cake for me and the FH to cut....and our daughter to eat lol. I have decided instead of the traditional cake for guests, we are having a cookie table. I am super excited to have our favorite cookies for people to enjoy. I feel like in the weeks leading up to the wedding, I can bake with my bestie and my mom and freeze the cookies. This will eliminate a ton of last minute panic for me I think. Best of luck with your decision and have a great wedding!!

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Taste testers are a great idea! Different opinions too, so thats super smart.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly!! My mom and I did 3 attempts before giving up... luckily I kept bringing the attempts to work for people to eat hahah!!! They were happy but I knew a few more they would have been over it lol
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mom will be making our wedding cake and cupcakes.
  • Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was strongly considering it too! I just decided against it because I can see myself stressing over it. I love cooking and baking and cake decorating is super fun. I just think it’lol end up being more of a hassle than it’ worth.. I’m not even a cake person.

I haven’t done any research into any bakery's yet though.

It might be right for you, but if you don’t have much experience with it, I would maybe do a test-run with something simple and see how it goes and then decide.

• Alycia
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not to mention all the cake testing when you are doing your test trials!! Not great right before the wedding lol

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I used to be a cake decorator and didn’t make my own cake. I wanted those last few days before my wedding to spend with family and friends from out of town and not stress over getting a cake done.
    I think you’re idea of having one layer and cupcakes or donuts is going to be the cheaper option than having it all cake. I also don’t see the point in having a fake cake! It costs almost as much as the real cake and you don’t get to enjoy it as you would the real thing.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom is making our wedding cake! Smiley smile we dont want anything crazy since we wont be serving it - we have a dessert bar already!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have booked mary ann rondinelli! For 2 tiers she was under 300 for us! We did her cake testing too (free) and they were AMAZING!! my mom and I were playing with the idea of making our own but with the time and money to practise and then the hassle to do it before the wedding it just wasnt worth it. Mary Ann also does cupcakes and other sweets if you wanted to put together a table too!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on what you want for the decorations, and if you have experience with cake baking/decorating.

My sister is making ours - she has some experience, and has been taking classes and practicing every chance she gets (random birthdays, etc) so that she's prepared when the day comes.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it can be realistic if you're up to the challenge. I personally wouldn't want the added stress to an already stressful time.

• Sarah
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So I'm a pastry chef and will be making my own wedding cake. Like everyone has been saying its a lot to do during the days leading up to your wedding day and I dont recommend it... Ive made many wedding cakes and the prep work that can go into a cake can take hours or days to do to get it the way you want.
    The only way that Im getting away with making my own cake is because Im making my main cake fake and making it months ahead of time and my venue is making slab cakes to serve at the late night.
    With a budget of $300 you should have no problem getting something like the photos you showed, especially if it is only 1 tier on top.
    The only way to tell if doing donuts instead of cake tiers is cheaper is to look at the cost per serving. Your probably looking at $1.50-$2.00 a donut or $3.50-$5.00 per piece of cake. But you also have to think that more people would probably eat a donut over a piece of cake. Either way its up to you!
    Unfortunately Im not from your area so I dont have any recommendations but what I can tell you is that if anyone quotes you for those photos you posted and its over your budget go somewhere else. Its too much.
    Hope this helps!
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

1. Realistically, unless you're a practiced or professional baker, I think it will be too stressful for you to do. It may save you money to do it yourself, but a practiced or professional baker will know the right time to begin preparation, how to store the cake, etc. I'm not baking my own cake for my wedding; however, I do love baking. I'm from the Toronto area so I don't know of any wedding cake vendors in Vancouver, but I suggest using Wedding Wire's search as a starting point. My fiancé and I found ours that way!

I think you'll definitely save money by having a one-tier cake and having the rest of the stand filled with cupcakes or donuts!
    2. I've seen cakes wherein one tier has been made of styrofoam to give the appearance of a larger cake at a fraction of the cost; however, I don't think it's necessary unless having a big cake appeals to you decor-wise.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is it realistic? I think it's realistic to an extent. If you plan on making enough for your entire guest list - probably not unless you are a baker.

Will I be making mine? I don't think so. I just want a simple tier for the cake cutting and after the cost and time, I'd rather buy one for $40 that will look amazing

Store it? If I were to make my own, then I would just store it in a fridge and make it the morning before. Of course, my venue has cabins in which I get to stay so that is possible for me. If you aren't in the same situation I would ask your venue first.

Is it worth it? Probably not. Like I said, the cost and time for me isn't worth it. If you plan on making for only 50 people, then maybe - 250?- definitely not! So much work! And what if you burn it? Under cook it? Store it?

As for recommendations, I don't live there so I'm not of much help - but for others, how many do you plan on trying to give cake to?

What about a fake cake? My Mom and Dad had partial fake cake at their wedding as it was for looks and they gave sheet cake to the guests instead. Nothing wrong with it IMO

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you a baker? Even if you are, I feel like this would be a very stressful thing to take on yourself, but that's just my opinion.

Maybe if you have a relative who is a baker and offered to do this for you, but making your own, while perhaps a money saving option, definitely not a time saving one. This is something that would need to be done relatively close to the actual day. I know I would not want to be baking, decorating, storing, or transporting a cake the day before my wedding.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say no... Even if you're able to do it... that's a HUGE task to take on the days leading up to your wedding.

I used Habstack Cakes, they are in Aldergrove. I picked up so I'm not 100% sure if they deliver for a charge.

I got a 3 tier cake (8 inch, 6 inch, 4 inc). The 8 inch was fake, but helped make the cake look more substantial. The middle tier was for cutting, and the top tier was to save. We also got 108 mini cupcakes in 3 different flavours: Coconut w/Coconut, Lemon w/Lemon, and Red Velvet w/Vanilla Buttercream (the cake was all coconut). It was about $180 for the cake and cupcakes. I find the cupcakes are easier than cutting up a cake to serve.

I had several guests say the cake was AMAZINGLY awesome, and my stepdad, husband and I all believe it's the best cake we've ever had... ever.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics