Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Curious June 2022 Ontario

Is it possible to have a cheap-ish wedding in Toronto

Michelle, on February 11, 2020 at 21:07 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 49

Cause I just got a quote for a wedding that's going to cost 30,000.00$ like... what!?!? lol. I am the saver in the relationship and I am all about a good deal and i get it sometimes it's not about a deal it the best experience and all that jazz but seriously????

49 Comments

Latest activity by Danielle, on July 20, 2020 at 18:20
  • Danielle
    Newbie September 2022 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What hall did you book?

• Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I looked at a venue Craigowan Golf Club that were quoting us around 13k for 120 people on a Sunday. This didn't include alcohol though as we're non drinkers. I was going to book this venue but with Covid I'm up in the air about my wedding planning as well and debating about cutting my guest list and choosing a smaller venue. I know someone getting married at LaSalle Banquet Centre in Burlington in November 2021. I believe she told me they're quoting her 13k for an 100 person wedding including alcohol on a Saturday. I've also heard that a place called Carmen's in Hamilton is reasonably priced for an all inclusive wedding. I also looked at a place called Stratford Golf Club that seemed reasonably priced. Since January I've contacted so many venues and given up at multiple times but if you keep on looking I think you'll find something. As others said choosing either out of peak October/November-April/May or on a Sunday/Friday you're more likely to get reasonable pricing. If you can't cut guest list see what else you can reduce spending on. Decor, transportation, invitations, favours, flowers, etc
  • Darmae
    Curious December 2020 Ontario
    Darmae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi there,

I’m hoping to get married on a Saturday this coming December and we will be holding our reception in Etobicoke “Claireport Banquet Hall” and we are paying $15K for 330ish guests.
    That covers, buffet style food, dessert table, appetizers, etc... no alcohol though. Tables, chairs, linens, silverware & etc. are included.
    Check it out Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats awesome maybe i should check oakville then

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Times like this i wish i was back in mtl

• V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My hall is in Oakville, so still in the GTA, and we are paying $18k for 170 guests, and that includes open bar and everything! It’s doable Smiley smile
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe im feeling a lil overwhemed but I cant seem to find anything for 25k and under

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks, everyone for the input. now with COVID it's really slowed down our wedding plans. I am still reaching out to vendors but with the uncertainty, I think we may have to hold on

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Welcome to Wedding central girl lol.
    Yes its possible to have a cheapish wedding but that comes with sacrifices as well. Do you want an open bar? How many people are you looking to have? Does it have to be in Toronto or the surrounding areas? There are a lot of factors you will have to consider, but you can definitely cut down the cost...

Look at off season weddings on a Friday, that will save you cost right off the bat !

• Megan
    Curious July 2020 British Columbia
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on what you would like! Guest count plays a huge role in cost... right now for an 80 person wedding we are sitting at about 12,000-14,000... but also we have cut back in a lot of places such as flowers, shoes, liquor, and videography... you can definitely get married for less than 30,000 but it depends on how extravagant you would like it to be

• Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes definitely! Off season weddings are a great money saver along with Friday and Sunday weddings - this alone could save you thousands! A lot of venues charge a premium for Saturday weddings and they will give you a massive discount for not having a Saturday wedding. DIY projects will come in handy especially with things like flowers as this could be super expensive as well.

• Samantha
    Beginner February 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is totally doable to plan and have a wedding under 30k. If you plan an off season wedding January- April you have get some pretty great deals. We went with February 2021 and got amazing deals and almost everything. Just have to shop around and not be afraid to ask for a better price
  • Callie
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Callie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Michelle,

It's definitely do-able to plan a wedding for 150 people for less than $30K.

I chose a nice venue and the cost of food, alcohol, ceremony, venue, reception fee, upgraded chivari chairs, late night stations & I added my cake into this number is $25K

The additional $10-$15K I am anticipating spending is going to be on florals, transportation, airbnb, marriage license & certificate, photography, hair & makeup, and our wedding attire.

If you don't plan on spending money on those "other" things that I've listed, you can totally do it for $25k or even less - depending on venue.

Tip: Go outside of "Toronto" and check some of each region's "banquet halls & conference centres" - they are usually much more reasonable and will include food/alcohol/some decor in the cost & will likely be $100ish per person instead of $200pp

• Jessica
    Beginner October 2023 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    A friend of mine did it under 4000. Call around to different restaurants. They had theirs at a restaurant. Everyone bought their own food. She bought 2 drinks pp. Under 50 people tho8gh. So it also depends how many you plan on having
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I honestly wanted to do small n intimte but thats nvr going to happen lol my fiance wants big wedding i think im just being frugal

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope thats food and bar x_x i dont even have space for other things

• K
    Beginner May 2021 Ontario
    K ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having our wedding of 30 at Old Mill Toronto next year. It's going to cost us around 8k for the venue/food/the booze we choose to put on tables/ceremony/reception. The rest are vendors I'm scoping out myself. Right now my ballpark estimate for my wedding is around 12 or 13k. A small, intimate, and inexpensive wedding is possible! Even cheaper if you go to city hall lol
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is in Quebec about 100 ppl and I am managing to keep cost just under 20,000
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

$30K is actually a very reasonable amount for 150 people if you're planning a traditional wedding. Again, assuming this is all in and not just food and bar. If I were you, aim for $100 per head for food and drink. That's $15K. This amount can get you a very nice buffet + a few drinks ar most restaurants. And depending on what you prioritize, you can get a dress, photographer, and DJ all together for less than $5000 total. That alone knocks $10K off your initial number. It all depends on what you want and what you must have.

When are you getting married? If it's in high season, traditional wedding venues have high spending minimums. But if you take it to a non-traditional wedding venue you can get away with spending much less.

• Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly n we can put into other things like our photographer..hair make up etc. I want to have a nice wedding I just don't want to go broke we have two kids together
  • Jessica
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's a good idea, I'm sure you could get chair and table rentals at a reasonable price too. Theres so many vendors out there, you just gotta price around. Just make sure you let them know upfront how much your budget is. These kind of venues will keep you way under that $30,000 ! Banquet halls are overrated. I'm a bargainer myself too, it's a little more work but it's worth it to save where you can!
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is for 150ppl
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    He says 150 I don't know if I believe that lol he has a big family
  • Michelle
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Girlll I'm thinking of doing that I just checked out the new Audley recreational center N I think we will have it there it's so nice.but I need to rent chairs and stuff
  • Jessica
    Newbie May 2021 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depending on what type of venue you are looking for, consider community halls. I am having my wedding at the chestnut hill recreation complex in pickering, it holds upto 500 guests if you book both halls. They allow you to bring your own food, so you can use any caterer of your choice.

• L
    Curious June 2020 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing ours in Toronto for about $5K. Mind you, the venue is free because it is a friend’s office space and this is just the reception. My partner is from Peru so we’re having a very very small bilingual ceremony and one reception in Canada, one in Peru so we don’t need to ask one set of guests to fly up or down or learn a new language.

We have about 90 guests. Renting tables and such from Aligator party rental. Food from Arz Fine Foods buffet style. Almost no decorations. No DJ or band, ‘open’ bar with limited drink options (because it’s a private venue we can bring our own alcohol and just pay someone with Smart Serve as the bartender). No big cake, just some desserts.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How many people are you getting quoted $30K for? Is this all in or just the food?

You can technically have a wedding for 100 people for $1000 in downtown Toronto if you really wanted to but obviously it won't have all the frills of what you typically see associated with a wedding.

• Amanda
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends all on your location and the time of year and day. A lot of places offer a lower rate it is not typical wedding season like winter or early spring. Also if you host on Friday or Sunday vs. Saturday.

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

And yes..escape wedding organizers...do it yourself and only have day of coordinator.

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When you dont want to spend money to rent the place, go with hotel or private clubs or golf clubs. Usually...since you eat and drink there you dont pay for rooms.

But if you want to save on food and drinks, you rent the place, where you can bring food and drinks!

• Liga
    Devoted June 2021 Quebec
    Liga ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

30 th sounds as a good number and enough to make one wedding!Smiley love

• Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in Hamilton right on the lake for half the cost. Maybe just outside GTA is a reasonable destination wedding?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics