Ashley
Frequent user bride September 2018 Quebec

Is black a yay or nay?

Ashley, on 3/October/2017 at 19:27 Posted in Wedding fashion

What's your opinion on wearing black to a wedding? Yay or nay... More importantly the mother of the groom

Share:

23 Replies

• Sonja
    Featured September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·

Several people wore black to our wedding. I guess it's ok but I would have liked more colour. The mother of the groom could wear dark blue which also looks stunning with silver accessories. I guess I'm not a fan of black for weddings.

• Natalie
    Beginner bride September 2018 Ontario
    Natalie ·

Black is classic. I think it would look great.

• Maegan
    Devoted bride July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    Ive worn a simple black dress as a bridesmaid and it looked great! I dont see why it would be an issue on the mother of the groom

Is black a yay or nay? 1
  • Ashley
    Featured June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    View quoted message

Written by Lynnie:

I grew up in New Jersey so everyone wears black to everything

I think black is fine as long as the dress still fits the season and formality of your wedding! If you're having a casual summer beach wedding then a black dress probably isn't the best fit

We had a semi-formal October wedding and actually both of our moms ended up in black and white outfits. Here's my family portrait:

MOB in Black (and White)MOB in Black (and White)

beautiful!! I love this!!

• Ashley
    Ashley ·
    View quoted message

Written by Andrea:

Both mothers at our wedding wore black (with some bling) and the dads were in black suits. I see no issue with it. The bridesmaids at my sisters wedding were also in black.

black can be flattering.

• Andrea
    Devoted bride September 2017 Ontario
    Andrea ·

Both mothers at our wedding wore black (with some bling) and the dads were in black suits. I see no issue with it. The bridesmaids at my sisters wedding were also in black.

• Vanessa
    Devoted bride August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·

The groomsmen and my FH will be wearing all black with coloured flowers matching the bridesmaids they are matched with. Black seems to be a common colour these days. Thanks for sharing about the colour red in Sweden never knew that.

• Cynthia
    Curious bride August 2018 Ontario
    Cynthia ·

A sparkly gorgeous black dress would be fine but if it was just a plain black dress that's definitely a no.

• Melissa
    Frequent user bride August 2018 British Columbia
    Melissa ·

I say wear whatever you will be comfortable in and not have regrets with when looking back at photos. There are so many traditions nowadays, so unless the couple has set a specific dress code I say go for it!

• Lynnie
    Administrator October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·

I grew up in New Jersey so everyone wears black to everything

I think black is fine as long as the dress still fits the season and formality of your wedding! If you're having a casual summer beach wedding then a black dress probably isn't the best fit

We had a semi-formal October wedding and actually both of our moms ended up in black and white outfits. Here's my family portrait:

MOB in Black (and White)MOB in Black (and White)

• Annie
    Newbie August 2018 Alberta
    Annie ·

This is funny, but I'm going to tell you how it works where I come from (Sweden) !

Black you wear for funerals, Red means that you have had a previous relationship with the groom and white, well white is for the bride.

I run in to this question a lot and I honestly think that it might just be a tradition in Sweden since no one so far has told me that they have heard about this before.

Just a fun fact for you !

• Ashley
    Frequent user bride September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    It's a black to the knee with long lace arms. A small broach on the hip. Like a dark black. She has black hair and pale skin. Kinda like a adams family vibe -.- Our wedding is outdoors in September
  • Ashley
    Ashley ·

Totally fine, just would make it dressy.

• Gabriella
    Beginner bride November 2018 Alberta
    Gabriella ·

I think it's totally fine, but more so if it's an evening or winter wedding. It's sometimes hard to find fun, flattering dresses that are still appropriate in colder months. Plus not everyone feels as confident in colour.

• Kayla
    Frequent user bride September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·

My mom wore black to my wedding. I helped pick out the dress.

I don't think it's offensive at all.

I'm also not traditional in any sense and LOVE black.

• Joey
    Administrator May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·

I think it is ok, I would not think the person wearing black was protesting or in mourning. Black is classy and easy to wear, most people have black already in their wardrobe, especially for very formal weddings. If the style of the dress is appropriate to the wedding then I think it being black is fine (no long black dresses on the beach, for example). Personally I'd try to avoid it but if I couldn't I'd be sure to wear bright shoes and accessories and either a colorful cardigan or wrap.

Have you seen the black dress she is planning to wear? Are you having a formal or black tie wedding? Do you think she is trying to send a message or does she just like the dress?

Comment on this discussion

Related articles