Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashley
Frequent user September 2018 Quebec

Is black a yay or nay?

Ashley, on October 3, 2017 at 19:27 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 26

What's your opinion on wearing black to a wedding? Yay or nay... More importantly the mother of the groom

26 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on December 22, 2017 at 13:05
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Black is fine these days. My mom wore a black dress to my brother's wedding, at the request of my sister-in-law.

• Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Black is a figure flattering colour, I think it would be okay, plus there will be many other people wearing black as well. The representation of the colour does not reflect the emotions anymore (if that makes sense) its just a colour that looks great on people.

• Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think black is totally fine!

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Several people wore black to our wedding. I guess it's ok but I would have liked more colour. The mother of the groom could wear dark blue which also looks stunning with silver accessories. I guess I'm not a fan of black for weddings.

• Natalie
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Black is classic. I think it would look great.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ive worn a simple black dress as a bridesmaid and it looked great! I dont see why it would be an issue on the mother of the groom Smiley smile

Is black a yay or nay? 1
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Beautiful!! I love this!!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Black can be flattering.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both mothers at our wedding wore black (with some bling) and the dads were in black suits. I see no issue with it. The bridesmaids at my sisters wedding were also in black.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The groomsmen and my FH will be wearing all black with coloured flowers matching the bridesmaids they are matched with. Black seems to be a common colour these days. Thanks for sharing about the colour red in Sweden never knew that.

• Cynthia
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A sparkly gorgeous black dress would be fine but if it was just a plain black dress that's definitely a no.

• Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I say wear whatever you will be comfortable in and not have regrets with when looking back at photos. There are so many traditions nowadays, so unless the couple has set a specific dress code I say go for it! Smiley smile

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I grew up in New Jersey so everyone wears black to everything Smiley shame

I think black is fine as long as the dress still fits the season and formality of your wedding! If you're having a casual summer beach wedding then a black dress probably isn't the best fit Smiley tongue

We had a semi-formal October wedding and actually both of our moms ended up in black and white outfits. Here's my family portrait:

MOB in Black (and White)MOB in Black (and White)

• Annie
    Newbie August 2018 Alberta
    Annie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is funny, but I'm going to tell you how it works where I come from (Sweden) !

Black you wear for funerals, Red means that you have had a previous relationship with the groom and white, well white is for the bride.

I run in to this question a lot and I honestly think that it might just be a tradition in Sweden since no one so far has told me that they have heard about this before.

Just a fun fact for you ! Smiley smile

• Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's a black to the knee with long lace arms. A small broach on the hip. Like a dark black. She has black hair and pale skin. Kinda like a adams family vibe -.- Our wedding is outdoors in September
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally fine, just would make it dressy.

• Gabriella
    Curious November 2018 Alberta
    Gabriella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's totally fine, but more so if it's an evening or winter wedding. It's sometimes hard to find fun, flattering dresses that are still appropriate in colder months. Plus not everyone feels as confident in colour.

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom wore black to my wedding. I helped pick out the dress.

I don't think it's offensive at all.

I'm also not traditional in any sense and LOVE black.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is ok, I would not think the person wearing black was protesting or in mourning. Black is classy and easy to wear, most people have black already in their wardrobe, especially for very formal weddings. If the style of the dress is appropriate to the wedding then I think it being black is fine (no long black dresses on the beach, for example). Personally I'd try to avoid it but if I couldn't I'd be sure to wear bright shoes and accessories and either a colorful cardigan or wrap.

Have you seen the black dress she is planning to wear? Are you having a formal or black tie wedding? Do you think she is trying to send a message or does she just like the dress?

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My mother in law wore black to our wedding and I was offended until my husband pointed out that he picked her outfit cuz he liked it ahahah it had flowers on the neckline so it wasn't alllll black. I think she could have wore burgundy though seeing as she knew that was our colour and that's also her favourite colour
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think black is ok as long as it's a lively style. Something sparkly or form fitting. If it's a black pant suit then i would have an issue with it.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a lot of people wear black to ours. It looks classy in my opinion! my step-mom wore a floor length black dress with sparkle on it, so it looked elegant!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Black will always be classy!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think as long as to is a pop of colour somewhere it's fine. A few people wore black to ours.
  • Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My feeling on this is everyone except the mother's are ok to wear black. It sends the wrong message even if completely unintended. Especially the mother of the groom.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s fine, as long as the dress is style appropriate (i.e. casual, semi-formal, formal) to the wedding. Or were you saying that she’s wearing black to “mourn” the “loss of” her son? Thrn in that case, innapropriat, not to mention passive-agressive.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics