Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lyndsay
Newbie August 2019 Ontario

Is a Stag and Doe worth it?

Lyndsay, on January 10, 2019 at 14:30 Posted in Before the wedding 1 10

Hey everyone,

My fiance and I are trying to decide if its worth doing a stag and doe before our wedding. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth it to try and make a bit of money for the wedding? Any help would be appreciated!

10 Comments

Latest activity by J. M., on June 17, 2019 at 06:27
  • J. M.
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    J. M. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We arnt having a stage and doe because we don’t know enough people to come, so at the end of the day after we pay for the venue etc we would be loosing money. One of the grooms men is going to organize a poker tournament instead ☺️
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stag and does are totally worth it! You can make anywhere from $2000 - $20000 depending on what you want to do and how much you want to plan!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had our stag and doe back in July and people are still constantly talking about it! It was a great way to get people excited about the wedding and it helped make us some extra money to pay for the open bar (so everyone happily supported us during the stag and doe). I found it helped us plan the little details for the wedding better and get an idea of how to organize our timeline for the day of. We are also reusing some of our games from the stag and doe for our cocktail hour because so many people had fun with them
  • Sheila
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Sheila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow that's so interesting, thanks for the info! And best of luck with your Social Smiley smile

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It all comes down to whether you not you can trust your wedding party to do it the way you want it. I disagree, but a lot of people think it's a bit tacky for the couple to throw it themselves. If you have the time, I think it's totally worth it. It's a great opportunity to party with EVERYONE before the wedding itself. I'm inviting literally everyone I know and using it as an excuse to celebrate with the people that can't come to the wedding.
  • Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was going to do it, but honestly it's too much work. My wedding is in 98 days and there is too much to do and too much money to already put out. I don't expect my bridesmaids to put it on either. Most of my wedding is paid for minus a few little things.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its nice when others throw it for you and you have nothing to do but enjoy yourselves. Our MOHs with the girls at the salon surprised us with one though I created the tickets and sign for them. It was worth it though it wasn't much of a return after the whole event. The more people that show up and play toonie or loonie games along with prizes and tickets sold will help for sure. Games and raffles are also done at these events.

Search around for the lowest price of DJ and venue to cater to your need to create a higher revenue return. Prizes can be donated by companies if you present a letter or ask those you know personally. It will help towards your wedding costs.

Good luck to you!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

From what I've heard - a Stag & Doe tend to have games and are a bit more like a fair/carnival where a Manitoba Social is a big party that revolves around drinking and winning prizes.

Here is a link to some of the games that can be found at a Stag & Doe: https://www.thebridalguide.ca/2016/03/fun-stag-and-doe-game-ideas/

At a MB Social, it's basically a big party - I've heard some Stag & Doe's are held in the afternoon sometimes or if they are in the evening some of them have the lights left on.. (Not all - but I have heard of some.) The usual time for a MB Social is 8pm - 1am and most of the money is made off of selling liquor/booze tickets. It's basically a good excuse to go out and get drunk without having to go to a club where there would no doubt be a bunch of 18 year olds.

My Social will have about 300 people attending - and I would say a good half of them will not be attending our wedding.

All in all,

Stag & Doe = Casual Drinks and Games

Social = Night Club with prizes

(Again, this is what I have heard the differences are - results may vary Smiley tongue)

• Sheila
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Sheila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have no insight on the actual question here since I'm from Alberta - but I'm just curious...what is the difference between a Wedding Social and Stag & Doe?

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be having a wedding social - which is similar to a Stag and Doe, but not quite the same (regardless of what others say...).

With that being said, socials make MAD profit if done correctly (think around the $5000-$10,000 mark). Stag & Doe's on the other hand I have heard that because of the differences in what they are, it's not always the case.

I would think that either way, it's always a good idea to try and make money if you can/ if it's socially acceptable.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics