Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becca
Curious October 2019 Ontario

Is a Rehearsal Dinner necessary?

Becca, on September 19, 2017 at 12:51 Posted in Before the wedding 0 7

Hey all!

So, rehearsal dinners. Are they still a thing and if so, is it ok that i don't have one?

We are on a tight budget, as im sure many of you understand, and the idea of having to pay for an entire other catered dinner for our bridal party (of 18 including the kids) plus their spouses, our parents, grandparents and out of town guests makes me stressssed out! Who can afford it?!

I was considering doing the ceremony rehearsal at the venue and then going out to a restaurant afterwards (& politely asking everyone to pay for themselves.) Is that okay or is that inappropriate?

Thanks!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on September 19, 2017 at 18:40
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing our rehearsal at the dinner. It is going to be family style and we'll just grab the wedding party for 5-10 minutes on one side of the room while everyone else chats and eats. You don't have to do one but it is a nice gesture for this participating.
  • L
    Curious October 2018 New Brunswick
    Lyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So glad I'm not the only one wondering this & considering pizza LOL.
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can totally ask people to pay for themselves. European tradition is you just tell people where you'll be for dinner the night before and then they can come, or not, their choice.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is exactly what we are doing too! We are having our rehearsal at the venue the night before and then afterwards going to a local pub to grab some food (we are making that part optional). The girls have an early start in the morning so I am doubtful it will be long!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are tons of ways to save money on the dinner!
    Our family is following the tradition of the groom's family paying for the rehearsal dinner, but if that's not in the cards for you guys, maybe do a fun appetizer dinner? Go to Costco and buy a bunch of apps that you can make and have people over to your place after the rehearsal for some food and a few drinks. Or like Lesley said, pizza is always a great option...no rule saying that the rehearsal dinner has to be super formal!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Becca. Yes, rehearsal dinners are absolutely still a thing, but there are ways to save cost. If you don't have a rehearsal then of course you don't need a rehearsal dinner. If you do have a rehearsal it is typically considered good etiquette to host a meal for those who participated in the rehearsal, as a thank you to them. But this can be very informal, have them to your house for pizza or take them to a casual restaurant. You do not need to host every out of town guest, or every guest, at this dinner.

Here is some advice for saving money on your rehearsal dinner. I hope it helps!

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you're inviting people to a rehearsal they will expect to be fed. I don't know your crowd though! We are just ordering pizza and salads for ours and eating at the venue. They were ok with this. I can't imagine that would be very expensive. We won't have that many people there.
    Maybe you can do something low key like that or schedule the rehearsal so it's not around meal time.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics