Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Denai
Curious June 2019 Alberta

Invitations: Online Invitations or Paper Invitations?

Denai, on January 25, 2018 at 13:55 Posted in Before the wedding 1 19

Has anyone had any experiences with doing online/e-mail invitations? Do you have any website suggestions? What were the pros & cons of doing it that way? Cost?

I can't decide if I should go with an online/e-mail invite or just the regular paper invites. A friend of mine did her's through a website and I thought it was pretty neat but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Cathrine, on February 1, 2018 at 09:55
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going paperless the whole way. We emailed our Save The Dates and will do the same with our invites. We have created a nice graphic for in the email and the email will direct people to our wedding wire website where they can RSVP.

It just didn't make sense to us to spend all that money on paper that most people will then throw out. We had the luxury as well as knowing most if not all of our guests are tech savvy enough to at the very least respond to an email.

We are sending out the email invites in about two weeks but so far all our testers (bridal party) haven't had any issues with the website.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re going to do paper invitations due to the number of guests who are older/less tech-savvy.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did our save the dates through paperlesspost.com and will be doing our invites the same way. What I like about them is that people can RSVP through the invitation. The invitation also pops out of an envelope which I think is super cute. And, you can see who opened it and who hasn't (or if the e-mail bounced back).

There are free designs, but it does cost to send them out. I think I spent about $20 in order to send them to 60 or so e-mail addresses.

All of our guests are familiar (or familiar enough) with e-mail, otherwise we would've looked at paper options.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did a one page paper invite with a website on the bottom. I had a few older guests who I knew wouldn't be able to RSVP online, so I gave them a call personally before I sent the invites to let them know about the website and that they can let me know by phone. We had a few guests unsure as well, but so far they've been calling someone to either help or called someone in the wedding party they knew to RSVP.

My friend did Save the Dates through email and is planning to send formal invites with a website RSVP as well.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We stuck with paper invites as the majority of our guests that are invited are older and don't often use the computer.

• Samantha
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing paper invitations! I have some older family and I am worried they may not know how to rsvp through an online service
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Allison we did the exact same thing. Ordered invitations from vista print and are doing the rsvp on the WeddingWire website.

Turns out you did a good thing. We first asked our guests whether they would like to send rsvp and the tremendous majority (almost every single one ) said they would rather call/text that having to send the RSVP card back. So we went with this and everyone’s happy Smiley smile
  • Natalia
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Natalia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Http://www.stephita.com/ Try Stephita - they are SUPER afforable, in comparison to the crazy etsy prices and even via VistaPrint if you have a small party, then ordering envelopes has to be separate, and etc etc. Not to mention they print custom designs - so you don't have to go with theirs, yet the price is a FRACTION of the cost.

This is who I am going with. I don't want the invite to be another toss in the trash ugly paper, but instead something worth keeping if anything. A digital file just doesn't have the same effect as opening a high quality, well designed invite that looks like you put effort into.

• Denai
    Denai ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Woo! Smiley smile Love it!!

• Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It all depends on your guest, if their modern and computer people do it. If they older generation it may better to do traditional invites
  • Allison
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We ordered paper invites on Vistaprint this week, but we are doing RSVPs on our website through WeddingWire. My mom is a little concerned that it isn't traditional and the older generations won't understand, but it's 2018 and they can call me too. Weddings are expensive so if I can save somewhere, I totally am!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I originally was going to mail out invitations, but ask for RSVPs through a website. Both my mom and my FH said no way, just wasn't traditional and they thought it was 'missing out on the experience'. sooo, going with paper!

I have to admit, paper invites look beautiful.

We have a close friend who does invitations for a living, so she'll be doing ours. Otherwise I would have just gone through vistaprint. i did my Save the Dates through them and they turned out gorgeous.

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’ve never heard of the site your talking about. Maybe when you find it you can let us know. Maybe worthwhile to check it out
  • Denai
    Denai ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, I will most likely have to mail out a handful of invites to those who are not familiar with the technology world. It should be mostly a younger crowed though so I am not too worried. I will check out paperlesspost.com. Thanks for your thoughts, helps a lot!! Smiley smile

• Denai
    Denai ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Smiley smile Thanks! Yeah, I thought there would be an off chance of it being frowned upon. Maybe a few people would get the idea that its "lazy" or whatever, but if I did it through email I would want them to be through a really good website. If not, I will have to probably do paper invites.

• Denai
    Denai ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awesome! Yeah, we might have to just mail out a few invitations in order to accommodate the older generation. Thanks for the input! I'll have to check out VistaPrint.

• Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did our save the dates on paperlesspost.com and were planning to do our invites there also, but given that most of our invitees are from the older generation we sent out paper ones from Vistaprint, we still have them RSVP from our wedding site but even then they are having some complications clickling a button. So keep in mind your guest list and choose accordingly, Happy Planning Smiley smile

• Jackie
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Jackie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was reading up on this very etiquette and apparently it’s frowned upon to email the invitations. Erin has a point about the older generation. We were thinking we’d make our own and either hand them out to those that live close by and mail the ones that live farther. I’m sure whatever you choose will be just fine. Best of luck.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

E-vites are awesome as they are cheaper and environmentally friendly. Keep in mind though that some of the older generation will not have e-mail or a computer so you may have to send a few paper ones anyway. We did e-mail save the dates and then sent out a 1 page invite and asked people to RSVP on our site. We got our invitations through VistaPrint during a sale and it was well worth it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics