Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julie
Expert March 2019 Ontario

I was just told my Bridal Shower is this Sunday!!! 👰 Did you know when your Shower was or is? How do you prepare?

Julie, on February 14, 2019 at 09:45 Posted in Before the wedding 0 9
Hi everyone,
I got a call from 1 of my MOHs who told me our Moms & Wedding Party feel it would be better if I knew the date, time and location of my Bridal Shower. It is this Sunday at 3:15. I am excited for sure but also very nervous. I have no clue of any details or who will be attending which I like. I was married 20 Years ago but this is my FHs 1st marriage. I feel embarrassed that this is not my 1st Shower to be completely honest. My fh and People close to me said it was natural to have a Shower because this is for my FH and I, not anything to do with my past. This is FMILs chance to have her Family and Friends attend a Shower for her Child after all the Wedding and Baby showers shes attended. My fmil has 2 Boys with no Kids and they're thrilled at 47 one of their Sons is getting married. I worry far too much about what People think. I was told that some People have said why is there a Shower for a couple in their mid 40's, showers are to help 20 something couples with their start out needs. I know some People are not impressed (so I've heard) that we didn't register anywhere but as of today we have been 2gether for 8 1/2 Years. Once we took registering for a honeymoon off the table, there was no store we could think to register at. My Mom and 1 MOH asked fh & I for a list of favorite stores so we said any restaurant, Bed, bath beyond, home depot and anywhere at all. I did register for approx 12 things at Bed Bath and Beyond as they have a comforter set I'd love but it was never announced as I did it last wk lol. I have my dress and shoes picked out. Now I want to stop feeling guilty and have nothing but excitement running through me!!! If you have had your Shower, what did you do to prepare? Thank you for listening.

I was just told my Bridal Shower is this Sunday!!! 👰 Did you know when your Shower was or is? How do you prepare? 1

9 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on February 19, 2019 at 00:04
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hope your bridal shower went well!

I chose the date for my bridal shower, so I definitely know when it's coming lol.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was hoping to get out of a bridal shower since I do not live near any family. We ended up visiting family unexpectedly though and they surprised me with one.

• Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I appreciate all of your great advice! I just had a big Dental Appt and had no idea that I'll be on pain medication until Sunday! I think this will help me relax for sure 😉 Right now I have a mouth full of gauze and lots of blurry but happy thoughts! I'm excited!!! I have a new dress and will likely wear my fav red shoes. I'll do my hair and makeup. My Fiance is walking me into my Shower at 3:15. One of you said People who love us are there to support us and that's exactly what I am focusing on. Thank you everyone 🤗 My bridal Shower is 2 days away!!!!! Eeeeekk 35 Days till I get to marry the Man I Love. Wow ❤
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not having an official shower... It's kind of a shower/bachelorette/girls night.. All my girls live on Ontario and I live in BC so it will be a few nights before the wedding and we will just be having dinner and drinks at my sister's rental lake house. She has some bridal shower games prepared and lots of wine is planned! It will just be me and my bridesmaids so it's super low-key and I'm really excited for it.
    Not really sure how you'd prepare for it, if you're nervous then you probably will be up till you get there but that's completely normal. Maybe go get you hair and nails done, pick out a cute new outfit. Just pamper your self!
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom gave me a big heads up! Her and my MOH picked a date and place but told me just to be sure I was good for the timing (got a lot going on right now I greatly appreciated this!)

We do have a wedding registry! However I've asked it be told to the guests that IF they want to bring a gift, I'd love a bottle of wine! Either their favourite bottle for me to try! Or if they're unsure I like sweet white wines!

I thought this was a cute and relatively inexpensive gift idea! And then I'll have tons of wine to stock my new house with ehehehehheh

Aside from that! Prep wise I'm getting my nails and hair done for the day of and I have a super cute new dress to wear (and these 5" silver heels I'll probably die in but it will be worth it!)

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was told when my shower was but that was it. I like surprises so I was fine being in the dark. I didn’t have any nay-sayers that I know of, although my husbands sister did write “don’t do it” on the advice card!
    I would say just focus on the good parts that you mentioned- it’s your FMIL who’s really excited to do this for you and your fiancé, it’s a great time to hangout with some of your favourite people. It’s crappy when people can’t share in your joy and have to insert their own, negative opinion.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My mom wanted to make the whole thing a surprise, but since I live 18 hours away, I kind of need to know when I should be home lol. She's going to have it on a Sunday in August from 1pm-4pm. I have to let her know which weekend I'll be down still but other than that, she's planning the whole thing.

I would try and not get the nay-sayers get to you (I know it can be harder to do in practice) and enjoy it! Some people have baby showers for each kid they have and no one bats an eye!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Enjoy it! What a wonderful surprise!

I got to help pick the theme (only because I really had my heart set on a High Tea party!) and the date, but otherwise, my mom and sister are taking care of everything. The only thing I have to do to prepare for my shower is make sure I have a dress (I bought a great 50's style tea dress on Amazon) and crinoline (Already own this). I'm having my hair trial that day, so it's perfect.

It's hard to not worry about what other people think, but try and enjoy the shower. These are people who want to celebrate the life you and your FH are going to have together. They are doing this because they love you, not because they have to.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As I am very controlling when it comes to planning - I will for sure know when my shower is (I'll probably put the invite in the same envelope as the wedding invitations tbh - that's what my FH's cousin did).

All I will be doing to prepare though, is make sure that they have food and drinks covered (as well as a hall or community centre rented) and then I will put all my effort into finding a cute white dress to wear to it!

Try and take your mind off of what others will be thinking. For the most part, if you have been with your FH for so long I don't think anybody will mind buying things for your shower. It's been a long time coming and has NOTHING to do with this relationship.

I try and think of it like this - although most people only have one baby shower... some have one for every kid that they have - which I have NO PROBLEM going to a bunch of them! Are they going to get a stroller each time? No. They have that. But there's no reason why more clothes and bottles aren't a good thing to give! I love celebrating things like wedding and babies because it's fun, if they don't want to give anything then they don't have to come, they can make up an excuse.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics