Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natalie
Devoted July 2020 Ontario

i picked my wedding dress... by myself

Natalie, on October 8, 2019 at 09:41 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 21
So a little rant/ story time for this Tuesday morning...

When I first got engaged I immediately started looking at dresses. I watched every single episode of Say Yes to the Dress, I spent hours online dreaming of gowns out of my price range and I ideally had a plan of the exact people I wanted to shop with. I have an opinionated friend, a feel-good-about-everything friend, my sister and my mom in mind. Then my Fiancé told me that his mom wanted to come along since she never got to go dress shopping with his sister for her wedding. Great; another opinionated one. Then other bridesmaids started to chime in about wanting to come. I had about 7 people expecting to go dress shopping with me at this point. NOT what I wanted.

So my anxiety about this anticipated shopping trip lead me to begin visiting dress shops to pre-try on dresses in order to get a sense of what I liked, so not to waste any time. What started as one store turned into me visiting over six bridal stores and trying on over 25 dresses. Granted, I did invite one of my bridesmaids on these trips; but she slept in and left me hanging the morning of. That kind of set the tone for me.

From the third shop to the sixth shop I spent lots of time trying to find a dress that “beat” the best dress I tried on. Everything I put on in my mind I was comparing to that dress. Everything came back down to that one dress.

My Fiancé was with me driving one day and said listen... are you going to plan this trip and buy a dress or what? And I said to be honest; I think I already know the dress I want so I just have to bring everyone to the shop in hopes that they agree. He said why? If people don’t like it will you still like it? I said yes. Yes I will.

The issue was that the dress I wanted was one that I tried on at Ferre Sposa. They have a hefty alteration fee and from the reviews I read, some people ended up paying more for their repeated alterations than they did for the dress. That was stressing me out, even though I loved my salesgirl and loved the entire experience there. I said well, I want this dress but I wanted to see if I could grab it from Mona Richie Bridal since they can order in anything from Pronovias. He said... say no more.

He got on on the phone with Mona Richie and bartered the cost down to 3,000 all in including unlimited alterations. The dress itself is listed at 2,700 before taxes so that was mind blowing. LESSON ONE: Don’t be afraid to hassle shops for your dress. I would have never done that; and seeing how far down they came in price when speaking to him was crazy.

We drove there as soon as he hung up the phone and put half down on the dress. And it was done. Just like that. We left and I started crying. I was so anxious about telling people I didn’t bring them and I didn’t want to disappoint them or have anyone upset at me. But once I broke the news to people and told them we can all come for my first fitting; no one was actually upset at all! Even my mom said that as long as I loved it and I was sure about it, she knew it would be great. LESSON TWO: go with your gut. People may surprise you. And for me, I’m too emo and I take people’s opinions to heart so this was something I had the ability to choose completely by myself. I don’t regret it at all.

If you’ve made it this far; congrats. Lol. But don’t be afraid of doing things like this on your own. I’m so happy I did.

21 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on November 4, 2019 at 14:24
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very minor experience. I was very close to purchasing my dress from them but it didn't work out, but I know of others who have either gotten their dress or bridesmaid dresses from them and said they do good work with alterations.

• Steph
    Newbie June 2021 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just wanted to try on dresses to find a shape I liked. I went in by myself and came out with my wedding dress. I took pictures of a few dresses and asked a few close family members what their favorite one was without telling them what one I liked or that I wanted to buy it and almost everyone picked the one I wanted. They all thought I was just trying on dresses!

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You are my idol. I saw so many online I loved but I was terrified. Good for you!!!
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes girl! I also bought my dress by myself! Best decision ever. I actually bought it online at BHLDN, and it is the ONLY dress I tried on! Didn't even step into a shop. I knew I loved it the moment I saw it.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Happy to hear - I brought 5 people with me and I was worried about opinions... except they didn't really have any. I love that family and friends surprise you in a good way like that!

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thats great! Glad it all worked out! I did the same thing went dress shopping with my MOH to see what I liked/wanted. Then went with my "entourage" lol which conisted of me, my moh, my mom, my aunt and my fiances aunt. I knew as soon as I got into the store which dresses I wanted to try on for them!
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so glad you found your dress. I think it was a great idea that instead of disappointing one or two people you were fair across the board. And it probably would have been much more stressful had you brought everyone with you. I accidentally found my dress with only one person who isn't even my friend anymore but the next day all my bridesmaids came with me to see it on me and my mom made it up. It was just as special.
  • Melissa
    Devoted September 2021 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My first time trying on dresses I had so many people there and it was so confusing. The second time I had a smaller group of different (very opinionated) people and hated it. The third dress shop I went to was just my mom and sister, I felt like I could actually breath and I found my dress. I wish I had the courage to go dress shopping on my own and not listen to so many different opinions, good for you and congrats on finding your dress!

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea; she probably will to me as well but life will go on. Lol.
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    AMEN. It was actually therapeutic.
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I hope so too. Do you have experience with them?
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ugh that makes me so happy! I’m so glad you went for it. I ended up purposely putting on things I knew would please other people and I just felt like crap about it. I’m so happy you got your dress!
  • V
    Beginner June 2020 Alberta
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I felt a lot of pressure trying to get everyone together to come with me on my dress hunt. So I hear ya! I ended up going alone to look at dresses and it was perfectly fine! The lady at the dress shop was asking me of it was weird to shop for a wedding dress alone.. Absolutely not! I felt less stressed and didn’t feel like I was taking up to much of my friends time.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hope everything works out well with your unlimited alterations with Mona Richie!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The other day i was driving and passed a few stores that had bridal gowns i stopped in all the stores and tried them on myself. it was nice not to have an opinion on my dress. at the end of the day get the dress you want. everyone is gonna have some comment about it but who cares you got your dream dress!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good for you!! Congrats on finding your perfect dress!
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good for you!

I did the first part of my shopping with my MOH and my mom but ended up going on my own because my MOH kept hijacking the appointments. In the end I found my perfect dress on my own and brought them in for final alterations.

My mom loves the dress so much she said it was a shame to only wear it once.

Congratulations on finding your dream dress!

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good for you! I'm so happy everything worked out for you. I felt similar when I was looking at dresses in the beginning, too. I looked at so many online and none of them were really me, so I was dreading actually going to stores with family and friends and I felt like their opinions would pressure me to get something I didn't want. I was perusing a website that I frequently buy sun dresses from and happened upon a long white dress that was just love at first sight and I agonized over whether I should get it or not because A) it isn't labelled as a wedding dress and I didn't know what people would say about that and B) because I didn't want to let family and friends down by not making an experience out of the dress buying thing. But I just went for it and the first thing my grandma said was when it came in the mail and I tried it on "that dress is you through and through" and that's when I cried lol

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is amazing. Good for you for doing it on your own! At the end, it is you who has to love the dress, and who has to wear it all day!

It is very difficult having a ton of people come with you, and I had a ton of comments from people who I didn't invite! So glad you are happy and your FH got to get the dress cheaper!!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good for you finding your dress. It'll be such a surprise for everyone once they see it.
  • Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good for you for taking ownership of this experience and finding the dress you love! I share your opinion of too many people wanting to get involved... My mother in law put up a huge fuss that I didn't take her shopping with me. You're always going to upset certain people, so it's best to just do what make you happy!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics