Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Zoë
Master June 2020 Ontario

I don't want to invite my co-workers

Zoë, on July 4, 2017 at 04:23 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 23

Hello everyone!

That moment when you bring the amazing news of your engagement to work. But than people are wondering if they are getting invited.

Who feels like they have to invite their co-workers? And who do you choose? Smiley winking

giphy.gif

I don't want to invite my co-workers 1

pinterest

Follow >>I don't want to invite you

If you want to ask a question or share ideas, open here a new discussion.

23 Comments

Latest activity by Priya, on August 8, 2020 at 10:27
  • Priya
    Beginner October 2020 Ontario
    Priya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hahaha I was so happy I quit my job before we even had to send out invitations because I didn't want to invite any of my co-workers or bosses! I really dreamed of having an intimate wedding with the people I loved most around. It also doesn't help when you have a huge family!
  • Anaih
    Newbie December 2019 Texas
    Anaih ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I invited 2 of my co-workers. One was my boss and the other the assistant manager. I invited them both out of courtesy and because they are the only to I sorta talked to at the small office out of 7 people(i was new). The bigger problem was that the office administrator was super nosey and would not leave me alone throughout the whole planning ordeal. I tried to keep my distance and keep as much of my personal life private, but as she started squeezing me of what little info I told her she started coming to these stupid conclusions and i started to realize she is incredibly prejudice, racist, and sexist(she's 63). I couldn't tell her anything because she would just blabber my business to the entire office. So I decided not to invite her because she seemed to disagree with me in a lot of things including my marriage and i found no point in inviting her because she tried to be nice but the things she would ask and comment on were rude. I asked both my boss and the assistant manager not to tell anyone as i couldn't invite many people due to budget reasons(neither attended). My boss did, but the AM was real close and chatty with the office admin(i should have known better) and so when i come back from my honeymoon she's over here asking me why I did not invite her and that she would have attanded and that the AM told her about it. At the moment I had no words out of anger and shock, so i shrugged my shoulders and told her it was due to budget reasons. For a second I regretted not inviting her, but then I remembered all the bad crap she said(among other things) about her not wanting me to end up a single mother which is why she suggested going to the doctor to get some sort of contraceptive before the wedding and the guilt was replaced by anger. So i merely walked off without giving her anymore explanations. She looked totally offended. I didnt care. If she thought we not gonna last why would she wanna attend in the first place.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm inviting 2 for sure. one I've been freinds with for years as we wne tot university together, the other I'm pretty good friends with at the office.

I would like to invite the group that I lunch with. Mostly because 2 of them were engaged at the same time as me, and so we would always chat wedding plans together. One of them invited a lot of the office to her wedding last summer (she's been in Canada for only a short time, and a lot of her family and friends weren't able to make it). Currently these girls are on my B list, so if we get some no RSVPs, I'll probably end up inviting them.

On the flip side, my boss is being extremely awkward and asking me in front of people if I'm inviting the office like my coworker did.

What kinda sucks is my wedding is on a Friday, so it'll be painfully obvious who I invited when 5 people take the afternoon off.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wont be inviting any coworkers. I work with 3 other guys and they are all people I wouldn't have in my friend group outside of work so its a no from me. (not a huge fan of any of them)

• Mary
    Newbie June 2019 Alberta
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't expect such a quick answer--thanks Kacy!

The situation I'm in is this: I got engaged 6 weeks into a new company/job. I don't hide the fact I'm a reserved person, but still friendly and warm that people approach me. I will answer when asked about wedding planning, but as it's getting closer and closer to the date, I have to admit it's becoming challenging to navigate those conversations!

- the introvert who doesn't want attention lol Smiley shame
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey there!! I ended up inviting 2 colleagues out of 10 or so that I work with on a regular basis. I didn’t really have to address it full-on with those who weren’t invited, especially that they are aware with our budget/venue/guest list restrictions. Those I invited have been making sure to not advertise that they’ve been invited, which is nice of them Smiley smile

it hasn’t stopped my coworkers from asking me how wedding planning is going or about the drama - they’ve enjoyed my ridiculous tales 😂😂😂
  • Mary
    Newbie June 2019 Alberta
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Kacy, do you have follow-up on this?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did invite only 3 co workers and 2 made it as the other couldn't make it. One of them is not on my good books now as he seems to be riding a high horse of his own.

Some you know well it's ok if you want to invite them. If not, its fair too on your end.
  • Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am choosing people who I share my daily life with me and who share their daily life with me, I will invite people separately to reception and the biblically tell everyone else we will have a dance at 10:00pm-2:30am. That way no one gets left it and costs no money to invite people go invite dance portion :-)
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't have co-workers since I'm self employed but I did invite one of my clients that I've become friends with over the past 7 years.

• Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would love to invite them all but I have too many and we are having a small wedding, therefor I am not inviting any. I feel if I invite one id have to invite others. I don't really hang out with any of them outside of work anyways.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Luckily I only really worked with 3 other ppl. I invited them all out of politeness but none of them are coming anyways lol
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't invite any coworkers. I'm just not that close to them.
  • Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our family is HUGE!!!! So my co-workers understand that we can't invite them due to budget and space restraints! I've been honest with them about it, and they've been receptive. My MOH is hosting a tea at our home specifically for my co-workers and local friends who can't make it to our wedding.

• Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Id love to invite them all but because we are keeping it small I am not inviting any. I feel if I invited one id have to invite them all and their wives/husbands. I don't want to have anyone feel left out and don't really hang out with any of them outside of work anyways.

• Jenn
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you are friends with co workers outside of the work environment, that's how I justified which co workers to invite. Funny how some people get offended by not getting an invite, it's not free to invite everyone..
  • Ericabraam
    Curious June 2018 British Columbia
    Ericabraam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only invited a few coworkers, but its those that I have friendships with outside of work. If I start to invite more than a couple, I will be like I have to invite them all. You can always invite them to the after party/dance

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our familys are huge... We drew the line at co-workers... We did invite his boss as they have been friends for 14 years.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't feel like I had to invite my co-workers. I have co-workers who I hang out with, outside of work and are really good friends of mine, so of course I invited them! But there were only a select few. I wouldn't invite half the co-workers to my wedding.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I told my coworkers and not a single one made me feel like I have to invite them. I think it would be different if I hung out with them outside of work and the wedding wasn't 3 hours away. There are some I would have invited to the reception.

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't tell anyone I got engaged lol I don't like my coworkers and avoid them at all costs. I only told my manager because I needed the time off for the wedding
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't feel forced to invite co-workers, but we are inviting some.
  • Kacy
    VIP February 2019 Quebec
    Kacy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would definitely love for some of my coworkers to be present, but don't necessarily want/need to invite all of my coworkers... Trouble is how to invite some and not offend the rest... I'll see once we get there!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics