Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Newbie August 2020 Alberta

I don’t want to plan a wedding! 🤷🏼‍♀️

Renee, on December 3, 2019 at 21:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
We got engaged over a month ago and haven’t planned a single thing yet. We are excited to get married and very much want to be married but the idea of planning a wedding makes me want to jump out of my skin. I’ve always said I wanted A destination wedding but since being engaged, we’ve had a lot of push back from friends and family. We discussed having a wedding around our home town and caught flack for that because it was going to be before his brothers wedding (The brother thinks he should be married first because he was engaged first). My fiancé is leaning most towards having an outdoor party, not too formal, maybe a tent wedding type thing but We both come from BIG families so our guest list will easily hit 250(no children). The idea of paying for SO MANY people to come to my wedding seems insane but there truly isn’t a good way to cut that list down. Even if we did have a big outdoor wedding, I do not want to start picking out decor and table clothes and chair covers. I don’t like decorating or creative things At. All. It’s just not my thing. I’ve never been the girl dreaming about her wedding her whole life and I’ve convinced myself I’d be happy with an intimate ceremony and no reception. I’m truly over the idea of planning a wedding. My fiancé keeps saying he’s willing to do whatever makes me happy so he’s open to pretty much anything. I’ve also tossed around the idea of having an intimate ceremony in our backyard then having a “party”(super non formal) after at a campsite. Is it weird to call it a party? Do I have To serve supper? Can it be BYOB? Has anyone does a non-formal wedding? Maybe had a small ceremony? Did you regret it? I need So much help!! 😭

15 Comments

Latest activity by Meaghan, on December 9, 2019 at 06:44
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I eloped and loved it l! It sounds like that may work for you.
    I planned it in 5 weeks. We had only immediate family there and then we took them out to a restauarant to celebrate.
    You can see my wedding pictures if you click on my profile.
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly concider even a potluck. Everyone brings something. A wedding doesnt have to be a fancy formal event. My stepmom got married in her parents backyard in a purple sundress she had found in her closet. We all ate chilli and pulled pork and it was lovely. No bells and whistles. Just love. Heck even at my wedding we are doing build your own tacos! Who cares what people think. Its about celebrating you two becoming one and that should be the main focus. If you want to get married in blue jeans and eat pizza you go right ahead. People should be focused on celebrating such a special moment not about what they are eatting or what anyone is wearing.

• Cockerton
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Cockerton ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At the end of the day, the wedding is about you and your spouse - what you want and how you want to start off your marriage. We have been lucky... so far... but there are people that we aren't inviting and things we are doing because we want to do them. It is our day and that's how it should be. In my opinion that is Smiley smile

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If i were you i would do a destiation wedding and whoever can come will. its WAY cheaper my cousin spent around 5k for everything including professional photos, head table decor, cake, centrepeices etc. however if you do a wedding here you can hire a wedding planner and they can pick out the table decor and linens for you if you dont care. you can just tell them a style you like or what youre looking for and they can do it for you!

• Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on how your budget is like, I would recommend meeting with a few wedding planners and hiring one. They do really help a lot esp for brides who doesn't enjoy the planning part Smiley smile

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the ww community!

I for sure get where your brother is coming from - my DH's cousin got engaged after us but married like 2 months before us.... it would have been more annoying if it wasn't for the fact that they have been together for YEARS and we have been together for like almost 3 and we are already married now Smiley tongue

With that being said - they can suck it up....

I say to go the elope route or just plan what you want because either way you will get complaints but at least it will be what you want! As long as you and your FH is on the same page then you've got nothing to worry about.

• Allison
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not having the same issues, but I've been getting the same response: It's your wedding - do what you want! I know a large wedding is a lot to think about (we are also having ~250) but it's much easier if you just take it step by step!

I would suggest that either

a) You get a wedding planner. They can be expensive, but it will take all the weight of planning and designing and everything else off of your plate.

b) You look at Pintrest and pick a few photos that are exactly what you want - then you can go to a decor company and just say "I want it to look like this" and they will pull all of the chairs and linens and everything for you!

c) Elope!! There's nothing wrong with a destination (or local) elopement followed by a party. Lots of people do informal BBQs with BYOB - it's totally your day! You don't have to serve dinner either - lots of people just have appetizers and drinks!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like you would be happy eloping/having a courthouse wedding and then a I do BBQ/party afterwards, like you described.

You mentioned you were never the kind of girl who planned her wedding so I think elopement would be good for you, and you sound like you wouldn't have regrets doing it that way.

Genevieve mentioned that family will push back no matter what you do: from eloping to the courthouse to getting married at the Ritz. You won't be able to please everyone but as long as you and your FH are happy with your decisions and get married, that's all that matters Smiley heart

You could hire a wedding planner who would then take control of the planning aspects you aren't crazy on doing, but it sounds like elopement is more your style.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At the end of the day, you need to do what’s best for you and what you really, really want. Families always push back regardless of if you marry at a courthouse or at the Ritz. If what you want is a small affair or a destination wedding, do it! You could also do a cocktail reception where you have bites and drinks for a couple hours then boot everyone out. That was my original plan before I priced it out.
    I find if you’re not into the idea of your wedding it kills the mood to plan it. You might find once you decide what you want that you might want to plan a little bit. A relative/MOH/wedding planner can always do the rest!
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you should do what you want and try to let go the opinions of others (I know - it can be hard sometimes). Eloping sounds like a fun option with the informal party and announcement after you get back. It sounds as if the actual marriage is the focus for both of you, so why turn it into something to please other people? The beauty of weddings today is that you really can have the wedding that YOU want - tradition doesn't have to play into it unless you want to...

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can also hire wedding planners who will plan as much or as little as you want them to! It's a little more you have to shell out for it, but if you have the funds for it and the thought of picking and planning makes your skin crawl, you can work with someone who will plan it for you!!

You can also have a small wedding and a large celebration. So you could still go on that getaway and get married at a destination wedding, anyone who wants to come can come, and everyone leftover can RSVP to the backyard BBQ to celebrate a week or two later when you're back and tan and married! Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Elope and just throw a party after with everyone making it potluck. This way everyine brings something to your theme or choice given to them.
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Okay I love this idea!! 😁
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pizza buffet (so easy to coordinate) outdoor and get a planner to do it for you if it’s in the budget! There’s companies that will set everything up and take it down and you worry about nothing!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly I would elope. And then throw a backyard BBQ or the party you mentioned and announce it there! Then you'll be married and no one can do anything about it (ok they can complain, and they might but it'll be too late for their input). This is YOUR wedding, you need to push the people with opinions right back so that you don't have regrets.

If you have a few friends or family members who can keep a secret then you could do your small ceremony, if not then it only needs to be the two of you with whatever legal witnesses are required. It'll be entirely up to the two of you of you do a courthouse wedding or run away to a white sandy beach. You can throw people off the eloping trail by asking questions about the wedding things you hate, like their opinion on color schemes or what kind of meal options you should have!
    We thought about elopement a lot before we agreed on a small wedding of about 75. Still not sure if all 75 will be present for the ceremony or not. Some days I still think about eloping!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics