Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Newbie June 2021 Alberta

How you allocated a $10,000 max wedding budget.

Jenna, on December 28, 2019 at 20:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 12
How did you allocate a $10,000 or similar wedding budget? We just got engaged and will be having a baby next summer, so I am thinking we will get married in the summer of 2021. I am wanting a small wedding, possibly only with parents and siblings, or a big bigger with 34 people max. I am looking for more of a laid back, cabin/rustic feel around Banff.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Heidi, on February 10, 2020 at 08:19
  • Heidi
    Frequent user July 2020 British Columbia
    Heidi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My budget is 10k, with 65 ppl, getting a beautiful chapel on the mountains and reception with a bunch of lights 🤗
    There are a lot of sheets on pinterest that tell you how much (percentage wise) should go for each thing
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing ours for close to $10k and it’s going to be small like yours. We found a venue that takes care of ceremony, reception venue, food, bar and of course tables and linens for $7500. We both got our dresses on sale, we got a photographer for $2k and a florist for $500. Our parents also helped with deposits. Ours is a late evening ceremony and nighttime dinner so it works out for it budget.
  • R
    Newbie June 2021 Alberta
    Ruth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi, which restaurant did you guys went to? Thank you
  • K
    Curious February 2022 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are only having 34 guests max this should be fairly easy. Ours will be about $15,000 and we have 140 guests.

$2500 dress

$4300 catering & bar

$800 Venue

$2300 photographer

$800 DJ

$800 Limo

$1500 table cloths, chair covers and decor

I have roughly $2000 left for flowers and any other small things that come up.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our budget was $20,000 and went over by only about $1,000 or so.

I would say that the big things to bring the price down is the # of guests and then saying no to a videographer. Plus my parents bought my dress and veil... so that REALLY helped.

As for where to put what amount of money - here's a link to one of the articles here on WW that might help Smiley smile How to divvy up your wedding budget

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a Sunday wedding with a luncheon reception for about 40 family members. We had an open bar, but being a daytime wedding and no dancing afterwards really helped cut back on the bar bill! It also meant we didn't have a DJ (we hired a friend to play guitar for the ceremony and cocktail hour, then used a Spotify playlist for music during the meal). Being a Sunday daytime, the venue was willing to lower their minimum spend as well. We did have a cocktail/canape hour while we did photographs (our ceremony and reception was on the same site), and we splurged on a prime rib carving station with the buffet, but if this is too much for you it can be skipped. DIY flowers and centerpieces helped, as did having a cupcake tower with just a small cake on the top tier to cut for photos helped as well. We did have favours, but many people skip those as well. We did away with Save the Dates and just spread the word around the family, and got a 40% off deal with Vista Print for our invites. I limited my drinking so I was fine to drive to and from the venue rather than splash out on a limo. Being a luncheon and no dancing afterwards, our photographer was only needed for two hours. We did splurge on a really good bottle of scotch to be available for our fathers, and a special ordered sushi tray in honor of my family. Total bill, including the unnecessary splurges, for 40 people, was around 12k.

Edit to add, I found my dress on Amazon of all places! it was definitely bridal, but not as grand as some dresses out there. My shoes came from Ross in the state. An organza wrap from Amazon and a jeweled hair comb from Ali Express instead of a costly veil.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A cabin or cottage or or condo party rooms or community centres is a great start. check for something close to your area

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue itself was the max price of your budget that included a lot in the package. We did the minimum of 75 guests intimitly and low key. A backyard wedding with potluck style dinner can be a solution or elopement with reception followed after returning as another option.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing $10k with 32 people. Our venue does both ceremony and reception and includes a lot in its price so we were able to allot the rest to other important must-haves!
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a wedding with just parents and siblings (plus our kids). Ours was way under 10k.

$750 for reception dinner at a restaurant $300 for my dress including alterations$1500 for husband's suit$300 for the kids clothing (bridesmaid dress and dress pants and sport jacket)$500 for flowers (bridal bouquet, bridesmaid bouquet, 2 boutonnieres, 1 corsage)$500 for limo (6 hours)$175 for officiant$250 for musician at ceremony $200 for photographer$75 for permit for ceremony location$250 hair and makeup for me and my daughter$60 for hair accessories
    You can see our wedding if you click on my profile. It was very laid back, intimate, and outdoors which sounds similar to what you are wanting.
  • Karley
    Curious September 2020 Nova Scotia
    Karley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have budgeted for an $8,500 wedding. I've broken it down into four big categories and then assigned a budget to each item within each category.

- I have $875 budgeted for ceremony items including an arch, chairs, officiant, homemade paper flowers, mic and speaker rental and marriage license and certificate.

- I have $5,650 budgeted for reception items including site rental, catering, wine with dinner, DJ, games and/or photo booth, wedding cake and decorations.

- I have $675 budgeted for attire including a wedding dress, tux rental and hair appointment.

- And finally I have $1,300 budgeted in my other/misc category including photography, stationary, day of coordinator, dog sitting, hotel and tips.

So far I've booked my reception venue, DJ and photographer, all of whom have come in under their allotted amounts.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours will be under $6k.
    My dress and our photographer are the biggest chunk. ($1100 and $1250)
    We're skipping a meal and having appetizers and cake at a small evening wedding. We saved on our venue by picking a Friday. I had an idea of some costs and ballpark guessed a few others with a little wiggle room in case I was way off. So far I've been close or under budget. I've also got a $500 slush fund included in case I'm way off or we have an expense we didn't expect.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics