Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Newbie August 2020 Alberta

How to tell your friends they aren't invited to the Big Day....

Taylor, on August 7, 2019 at 13:01 Posted in Before the wedding 0 9

My Fiance and I decided to have our ceremony in Jasper and only invite immediate family and a couple very important and close friends.

How do I tell our friends and family they aren't invited? I'm so worried of offending people. I know its my day my decision, but I feel terrible.

Any advice is welcome!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on September 12, 2019 at 16:36
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh man thats hard. dont tell them what day it is and when they ask be like im so sorry im just doing a small intimate family wedding

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am so sorry to hear that!

One good thing did come of it though - you know they weren't true friends if they don't come back. I get for them to be hurt about it but if they want nothing to do with you then do they really care about you?

I had to say no to kids at my wedding (okay, I wanted to say no), but that means that if my Godmother can't bring her 3 kids then the entire Dad's side of the family (except for like 8 people) are not coming.. It really showed us what kind of family they are and that we are good without them. Just stick to who you have closest and that will be attending the wedding and keep your head up.

• T
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I let two of my girlfriends know they wouldn't be in the bridal party today.... and now I have two less friends. Smiley sad I guess that's life but I didn't expect them to be that hurt that they cut me out of their life.

• Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Just reach out to everyone personally and say hey we really would have loved to have you there on our day but due to budget, venue restrictions, personal choice we have decided to have a very limited number of guests only including immediate family and our absolutely closest friends. We love you just the same. Then after I would send everyone cards with a photo or something.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well you can't manage other people's expectations, and yes some feelings may be hurt, (even if it's bc they just want to support you) but at the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and your FH. You can have them be your bride squad at the reception and your bachelorette if you are having one.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just be straight up with them! Especially if you are planning on having a bigger reception afterwards that they will be invited to.

Like you said it is your day, and how you guys want it to happen is the most important. Someone will always be hurt regardless of which way you do it. As long as you and your FH are happy Smiley smile

• T
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our ceremony and supper is less than 20 people and we plan to have a big reception a few weeks after. I have a few girlfriends that expected to be in my bridal party and I have a feeling they'll be hurt and upset that they aren't invited to the ceremony.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Becky! You can let your friends and family know you’re having an intimate ceremony.

if you plan on having a larger reception at some point, you can perhaps invite those that didn’t go to the ceremony to the reception.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say to people asking that you are doing a very intimate wedding and its limited strictly to few immediate family members/friends. Are you having a reception when you get back?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics