Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Frequent user December 2018 Alberta

How to choose bridesmainds

Sarah, on September 21, 2017 at 10:15 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 15
Hey guys. I am having the hardest times trying to pick my bridesmaids. Do I go with my wonderful older sister, a new friend who has been there a lot for me this last year. An old friend of over 10 years with whom I lost touch with the last 6 months but are right back at it now. Or my oldest niece. I don't want anyone to feel left out of the day and I can only choose 2. It's very confusing. How did you guys choose? My FH has his already choosen

15 Comments

Latest activity by Megan, on September 26, 2017 at 11:41
  • Megan
    Curious July 2019 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I chose based on the people that i felt were the biggest supporters of my relationship and the ones who have a good relationship with my fiance. I want people up there that support us both Smiley heart

• Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I picked 3 of my close friends & my sister [4 total] -- my fiance only had 3 guys on his side + his nephew as the ring bearer - we didn't care about being even.

• JENNIFER
    Frequent user December 2017 Ontario
    JENNIFER ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been a bridesmaid (2) and both of those friendships have run their course so when it came time for me to choose I went with family. I low that family is forever so I picked my two cousins who are like sisters to me. The only “problem” is that I live in the greater Toronto area and one lives in Windsor, ON and the other lives in PEI. I’ve been very blessed that early in my engagement my mom paid for my cousin from PEI to fly here to surprise me for a girls weekend in Windsor, that’s when get got their dresses ordered. I’ve also been blessed to have a very close friend offer to host my bridal shower just outside of the GTA. My friend and my cousins have grown really close during the planning phase and can’t wait to meet in person.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go with your gut. Go with someone you know can help you with the wedding. Will be okay to do what u need. Also if ur having a MOH.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Why do you HAVE to have 2? Its your day and you can do what you want. If it will be sad for you to not have all of them standing with you on your special day then pick them all!
    I originally had picked 4 bridesmaids so we would have an even wedding party, but every time i thought about hanging out with 'my girls' i had 5 girls in mind and i was sad that my fifth girl 'hadnt made the cut' so to speak. So i talked it over wth my fiance and invited her into our wedding party. I immidiately felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders that i didnt even know was there and knew it was the right decision.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A lot of this is going to have to follow your 'gut' instinct. For me, I pictured the people that I wanted to be with me the morning of. Who I wanted to be there to be excited with me.
    I then thought of the people who would be reliable and available to be there for the things I needed: Engagement Party, Bridesmaid Dress shopping, Bachelorette, etc.

For the people you don't pick you can always find other roles for them.. such as a reader during the ceremony. Pick people you know are going to be in your life for a while.. they'll be in your wedding pictures!

• Kaytee
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's a tough position to be in. I have 2 sisters, one sister in law and 4 best friends but my groom only had 3 people to fill his side of the wedding party so I just stuck with my sister and sister in law and will just enjoy the company of my best friends.
  • Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You guys are all so awesome! Thank you for you advise Smiley smile I think I have made my decision. Thank you!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with everything that has been said so far. You have to choose based on how you feel. Uneven numbers are completely ok too. I'm sure each girl would be honoured in some way if you asked them.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have 4 and very few female friends. my best friend is my maid of honor (and there are no other best friends even close). then my sister, my sister in law, and a good friend who has been married to my longest standing friend for 5 years. i just chose who came most naturally to me and who i knew would be in my life in another 10 years.

if you're set on only having 2, i'd suggest asking the others to participate in another meaningful way in your day. suggest they come get ready with you, or be ushers at the wedding, or have them be in charge of the cake cutting knife after the cake is cut.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your sister for sure, and chose the other based on how much help you're going to receive from her. There have been lots of post about bridesmaids that have done absolutely nothing for their bride. I would find out who would have a bridal shower for you, and who be your right hand, go-to person when you need help.

• Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you are only choosing 2 to keep the numbers even, that shouldn't matter. Have all 4 of them! We are having uneven numbers in our bridal party (I have 6, he has 4). I wanted all of my closest girls to be included. I have been to weddings where the numbers are uneven and it still looked good in pictures.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would pick whoever you feel closest to and whoever it would make you happiest to have at your side. But you can always try to find other roles for people, something like an MC for the evening.

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think you have to choose only two unless you're set on having equal sides. I would say sister and oldest friend if you're only going to do two. As long as she is dependable.
    Is there another role for the newer friend? MC or doing a reading?
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is your special day, pick the people that mean a lot to you and will be there to support you on your big day and all the events leading up to it.
    Don't be afraid to have an odd numbered bridal party either. Do what is best for your big day Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics