Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Newbie June 2020 New Brunswick

How to: Change My Last Name

Katie, on March 19, 2020 at 09:40 Posted in Just married 0 5

Hi all! I'm not getting married for a little while, but I'm wondering what the process is here in Canada to change your last name. (I'm hyphenating but I'm fairly certain the process will be exactly the same...such a hassle.) I'm really not sure what I have to do first once we're married and I don't want to run around in circles trying to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for all the help!!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on June 11, 2020 at 12:36
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hope you were helped!!

• K
    Newbie June 2020 New Brunswick
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! That sounds way easier than I was thinking it would be. A weight off my shoulders. Smiley smile

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband had to do the same to change to my last name too. When you get married, your license will be proof to keep for 12 weeks (3 months) in Ontario as its indicated to legally change your name to your husbands hyphenating it. You can look on the government site for New Brunswick to check how long after you get married to change you last name and the cost that comes with it.
  • Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Katie! I can certainly help with this. To change your last name, there is two ways: a legal (federal government) name change or simply assuming your spouses last name. Most people go with option 2. A legal name change would require you to forfeit your birth certificate to the federal government, and they would send you a new one with your spouses last name. It would be as if you were born with his last name. To assume your spouses last name, you would simply wait 6-8 weeks until after your marriage ceremony and apply for your marriage certificate through service Ontario’s website. Once you have received your certificate in the mail, you can use that as proof of marriage and begin changing your IDs over. You can certainly hyphenate. You need to present your marriage certificate at service Ontario so that they can change the name on your ID and issue you a new one. If you go on Pinterest, it will give you a list of things to change your name on (there is a lot of things we forget such as doctors offices etc). If your passport has yet to expire, don’t bother changing it because you can fly with your maiden name. Just make sure all of your tickets are booked in your maiden name. Once your passport is up for renewal, you can present your marriage certificate and they will change your name. I hope this helps.
  • Tyler-Kerry
    Curious March 2024 New Brunswick
    Tyler-Kerry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just brought my marriage certificate in and said this is my new married name and changed it and continued to do that with everyone I wanted it changed with

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics