Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

How superstitious are you? Bridal edition!

Lynnie, on September 13, 2019 at 11:04 Posted in WeddingWire 0 18

Happy Friday the 13th!! In honour of all the couples braving the bad juju and tying the knot today, we want to know just how superstitious you are when it comes to wedding traditions!

giphy.gif

How many of these wedding superstitions do you buy into? Share your total score!

- Rain on your wedding day, a silver sixpence in the bride's shoe, and finding a spider in the bride's dress will bring you good luck. (Give yourself 1 point per superstition!)

- Wearing a veil over your face, ringing bells, and carrying the bride over the threshold will all help you ward off bad luck and evil spirits. (1 point per superstition)

- It's bad luck to see your fiancé(e) on the wedding day before the ceremony, or to start using your wedding gifts before the wedding!

- Gifting the newlyweds a knife will cause their relationship to be severed, unless you tape a penny to the blade that the couple can then return as "payment" so the knife is no longer considered a gift!

- The person who catches the bouquet or garter will be the next to get married.

- If you bury a bottle of bourbon upside-down at your ceremony site one month before the wedding, you'll have beautiful weather on your wedding day!

giphy.gif

18 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on November 3, 2019 at 20:32
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hadn't heard of a few of these! I'd heard if you hang and umbrella in a tree the day before it's supposed to keep rain away, but rain is good luck!

I'm not a superstitious bride at all! I like the tradition behind some of the old superstitions, but we won't be following most of them.
  • Chere-Lee
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't say I'm superstitious, but some of the situations mentioned, I might like to do out of tradition or fun!

- Rain on your wedding day, a silver sixpence in the bride's shoe, and finding a spider in the bride's dress will bring you good luck. I have heard of rain being good luck, but not the silver sixpence or the spider. If it rains on my wedding day, that would be awful for my rooftop wedding, but I would like to hope it would bring us luck!

- Wearing a veil over your face, ringing bells, and carrying the bride over the threshold will all help you ward off bad luck and evil spirits. I have heard of the veil (and will be wearing one) and the carrying the bride over the threshold, but we will not be participating in any of these.

- It's bad luck to see your fiancé(e) on the wedding day before the ceremony, or to start using your wedding gifts before the wedding! My fiance and I are planning on doing a "first look" rather than waiting for the big reveal during the ceremony for a number of reasons. Using wedding gifts before the wedding is probably something we won't be doing.

- Gifting the newlyweds a knife will cause their relationship to be severed, unless you tape a penny to the blade that the couple can then return as "payment" so the knife is no longer considered a gift! I have never heard of this one and don't think we will be worrying about it!

- The person who catches the bouquet or garter will be the next to get married. I believe we are still going to participate in doing this one out of fun rather than anything!

- If you bury a bottle of bourbon upside-down at your ceremony site one month before the wedding, you'll have beautiful weather on your wedding day! I have not heard of this one before and I doubt the hotel we are having our ceremony and reception at would be okay with this one! We'll take our chances with Mother Nature!

Here's a few more that I have also heard:

1) Something Old, Something New, Something Borrowed and Something Blue - according to folklore - The something old represents the brides past. Wearing something new is a symbol of the couple’s happy future together. The something borrowed should actually be from someone that is happily married, so that their same good fortune will rub off onto the bride. And finally, the something blue represents fidelity and love.

2) Stick with Your Maiden Name Until After the Wedding - Some people believe that if you use your married name before the wedding you are tempting fate and the wedding may not happen.

3) Crying on Your Wedding Day - If a bride cries on her wedding day it symbolizes that she has won’t have any more tears to cry during her marriage.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not superstitious at all. Its just the day as usual as any other.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm not very superstitious, but some of those things we will be incorporating anyway just because they feel like fun traditions to carry with us. But if there's a spider in my dress I hope it's before I put it on!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m really not superstitious but I really do like to tell myself that rain on the wedding day is good look simply cause we’re getting married in November in Vancouver so we have some high chances of rain!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not superstitous so I can't really buy into any of this. ALTHOUGH, if it were about spiders in my dress, then I should have so much luck (thanks a lot to our outdoor photographs in the woods).

• Johanne
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Johanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nope, not superstitious at all. I don't believe in all that stuff.
  • Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Lol I'm not superstitious at all, my family though (mom especially) is SUPER superstitious ad probably has even more superstitions than this list! Smiley xd

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely buy in to the knife one! (And that you should never gift a wallet that is empty.)

And, I agree with those who say using a gift before the wedding is poor etiquette.

If i could find a sixpence that didn’t cost a fortune, I’d probably buy into that one too. 😉
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We don't believe in superstitions, so technically 0, but we're choosing to not see each other on the wedding day before the ceremony.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

8! I'm not afraid of violating these superstitions, but I think they're fun and like following them. I guess I think of them more as traditions than bad luck.

Rain

Sixpence (as well as something old, new, borrowed, and blue)

Spider in the dress

Veil over the face (I def wore one on my wedding day for good luck)

Carrying the bride over the threshold (not on our wedding night, but we did it the first time we walked into the home we bought together after we were married)

We skipped a first look so we wouldn't see each other on our wedding morning (but I bent the rules just a little by calling him)

I got a knife as a wedding gift that had a quarter taped to it to negate the bad luck

We didn't use our gifts before our wedding

(and that Michael Scott quote was the first thing my DH and I said to each other this morning!!!)

giphy.gif

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only got 2: rain on wedding day, and don't see the bride on the wedding day before ceremony.

I hadn't heard of the knife or bourbon one before, but both are definitely interesting!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did not get any. I leave the superstitions to the FH. I like to think rain on your wedding day is lucky.
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only got one point. Don't see the bride before the wedding. My guy says goodnight the night before and the next time he sees me I will be walking down the aisle.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think we’re superstitious. We are choosing not to see each other the day of the wedding but that’s not out of fear of bad luck, it’s just our preference.
  • A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Lynnie,

This is great! I wouldn’t say I am superstitious 13 is actually my lucky number but some of these I have never heard of. Like the spider in the dress ( not a fan of spiders so I can do without!). The bourbon is another one I haven’t heard of, I have heard that if you give knives to anyone no matter what occasion there should always be coins taped. In Romania if a bride sees another bride on their wedding day it is bad luck, that is why someone will always walk in front of the bride to be the lookout. They also believe that on the day of the wedding if the Brides ring drops the groom will pass and if the grooms drops the bride will pass.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've got:

Rain, Sixpence, veil over the face, carrying over the threshold, bouquet & garter!

A couple of these that I have never heard of!! (spider, knives, bourbon)

Total of 5 points!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

- Rain on your wedding day, a silver sixpence in the bride's shoe, and finding a spider in the bride's dress will bring you good luck. (none of these)

- Wearing a veil over your face, ringing bells, and carrying the bride over the threshold will all help you ward off bad luck and evil spirits. (none of these)

- It's bad luck to see your fiancé(e) on the wedding day before the ceremony, or to start using your wedding gifts before the wedding! (Both of these I buy into. The gift one is also proper etiquette. 2 points!)

- Gifting the newlyweds a knife will cause their relationship to be severed, unless you tape a penny to the blade that the couple can then return as "payment" so the knife is no longer considered a gift! (haven't heard of this one before)

- The person who catches the bouquet or garter will be the next to get married. (I don't buy this one)

- If you bury a bottle of bourbon upside-down at your ceremony site one month before the wedding, you'll have beautiful weather on your wedding day! (haven't heard of this one before)

I got 2 points! Wow, I thought I'd get more.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics