Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Devoted November 2018 Ontario

How should we honour the dead?

Emily, on March 4, 2018 at 09:20 Posted in Wedding reception 0 16
Hey friends,

So my FH's grandfather is in paliative care as of this week, and will probably leave us soon. He is 93 and is sadly dying from lymfoma, and is the first of our 4 sets of grandparents to pass (We have been very blessed to have everyone alive until now). He is a wonderful man, and made a huge impact on my Fiance's life, so I would love to honour him in some way at our wedding in November 2018.

We are having a Catholic ceremony, where we do say a prayer for the dead who are not with us, but I want to honour him further. Is anyone else experiencing this? What are other people doing to honour deceased relatives. I would love to know. Thank you for such a vibrant and loving community to ask questions like this in. God bless.

16 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on March 6, 2018 at 16:33
  • Amanda
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love this!
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Leaving the bouquet at his grave is a beautiful gesture! I like the subtle things, like musical choices. Thank you!
  • Amanda
    Frequent user September 2018 New Brunswick
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm keeping it muted a bit. Just small tributes that not everyone would notice seem more "special" to me. Ie: I'll be playing a number of instrumental versions of my father's favourite songs, and I'll be sneaking away between picture taking and reception to perhaps leave my bridal bouquet at his grave (if it doesn't feel too weird)
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a small "memory table" in the reception hall with a little quote and pictures.

I also had two lanterns placed on the front seats during the ceremony, with a blurb in the Wedding Program about "lanterns placed on the seats to light the way..."

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what we'll be doing - a table with photos of those who have passed. It will be in our entry way into the reception so everyone will see it.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a memory table as well. I've asked family members to give us pictures of those who are no longer with us so that we can put their pictures up in the reception space. We will have it surrounded by candles and flowers.

How should we honour the dead? 1

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing a memory table at our reception to honour our grandparents who have passed with photos and some candles.

In addition, my fiance has two little pins made with his grandparents pictures that he'll place on his lapel and I'll have a photo of my grandfather placed on my bouquet.

There are some great ways to remember those who have passed at weddings.

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for the recommendation. Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those are interesting ideas! Thank you Kim.
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The charm idea is really nice. I think maybe because it's my Fiance's Grandfather, we could have him wear something of his. Like his colone or something like that Smiley smile. Thank you!
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user June 2018 New Brunswick
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm looking to do the same thing. We have a few grandparents that were always very special to us but have passed away recently and would like to honour them. We haven't made any final decisions but there's a lot of ideas on pinterest of how to do this.

This article also has some very sweet ideas on how to remember the deceased on the big day. Hope this helps Smiley heart

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've seen some lovely memorial tables and signs on pinterest, with photos of the lost loves ones and a sign saying "in loving memory" or "we know you'd be here with us today if Heaven weren't so far away" type things. You could even add a sign or cards with the lymphoma.ca website on them for people unfamiliar with the disease or how to donate to the cause.

I love Ashley's idea of adding a picture charm to the bride's bouquet. And Holly's idea of leaving a seat up front for the deceased - you could even have their picture on their seat!

• Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have seen some brides do little picture charms attached to their bouquet. I like the idea of the quotes with the pictures and candles.
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those are some interesting ideas. Thank you Holly! I love the front row of the ceremony idea.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are also leave a front section of seats for them in spirit. So those seats will be off limits to everyone.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My three of my fiance's grandparents have passed. His Nana, who he was extremely close with for his entire life, passed last March of what the drs believe was lymphoma. Our venue has this beautiful sign that has a quote to remember those we've lost that cannot be here in person but in spirit so we will use that and set up a small table with with some pictures. Also our officiant has a small section of the ceremony dedicated to those we've lost. She says a small sweet reading then we all have a moment of silence. We will also remember those we lost in speeches and in the things we wear. My engagement ring was his nanas and he has something of his Pepe's to wear too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics