Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Newbie August 2020 British Columbia

How much did you spend on photography?

Jenni, on August 11, 2019 at 23:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 60
I’m having a budget for $20k for the wedding. Most of the photography packages I find are around $3k-$4.5k range. Photography is super important to me, so I don’t mind paying abit more for it. But my fiancé thinks that’s way too much. I also want videography, but that’s another $3k at least.
How much do u guys spend on photography. And how much was ur wedding budget?

60 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 21, 2019 at 12:09
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Email some cheaper photographers and ask them for a base package or custom your own package. If you skip all the added stuff ie wedding albums and albums for your parents etc you can cut down the cost. also you can ask the companies for a junior photographer

• A
    Newbie December 2019 Alberta
    Alanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our budget is also 20K. I had similar findings for the price range in photography I found. I will say, this was the one thing I found myself being a little crazy over. By no means am I a photographer, however I do have a nice camera that I do okay with. For that reason, I found myself feeling disappointed by many photographers that were in our initial price range. I had grossly underestimated what this would cost and as a result could only afford newer, less experienced photographers. In the end, we decided to spend about $3200 on our photographer who I am thrilled with. We managed to cut costs elsewhere (food, decorations, etc...) My thinking was, this is one meal in everyone's lives. It's 1 photo to have an extravagant wedding cake (we are skipping it altogether) and maybe 1 photo of what the guests' tables look like. The photos of us are what we will have forever, and that's what will be hanging on our wall.

Good luck!

• Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Photography is worth the money if you have the budget (& you do!) but I’ve never thought of videography really because I don’t think I’ll go back and watch a video as much as looking at my photos. Maybe you could hire the videographer for a smaller amount of time or just the ceremony or something to not make as much impact on the budget?☺️
  • Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding budget is 30K for the parts we're paying for (everything except invites, cake and my dress as those are a gift from my mom 😊). Our budget for photo&video was 5K total between the two, our photo is just under 2000 and the videographer we're looking into is coming out to about 3000 or potentially less 🤞

We're looking into Fresh Canadian Content for video and I think they potentially travel out west (I'm just above Toronto), in case you want to look into them. Good luck! 😁
  • Denise
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mirror Form Photography is great! She has a bunch a packages ranging in price, to fit all budgets ! She’s such a phenomenal photographer! Especially if you like things a little more artsy!
  • Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used Rob Lloyd for my photos. He's a star. I think he costs about $1800 and he's everyone we could have dreamed of! Here's his website: https://roblloyd.ca/

• M
    Newbie September 2021 Alberta
    MariaJake ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Atmosphere Photography and Living the Dream Event Rentals for videography. They were at out friends wedding 4 weeks ago and they have all the footage/ photos back already ans they are BEAUTIFUL

• Tegan
    Newbie October 2021 Ontario
    Tegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're hoping to spend ~2k for photography. We've potentially found someone who is just getting started in the business, but has great reviews, so here's hoping that works out!

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yurko Photography! We just did our engagement photo session last night. She is excellent
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We spent $3000 (plus we had to pay for her meal!), but I don’t regret it for a second. She does beautiful work, is extremely professional, made us feel comfortable, and I’m confident in the quality of photographs ☺️

You need to ultimately go with your gut since I’ve heard so many horror stories about the photographer being garbage (within any price range).
  • Rachel-Anne
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Rachel-Anne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Melissa Jane photography
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Erin Medeiros Photography, she is out of cambridge
  • Anne-Marie
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Anne-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mind sharing who you went with?! Smiley smile Thanks!

• Anne-Marie
    Anne-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey! who are you going with?

• Anne-Marie
    Anne-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Amanda -- would you mind sharing the name?

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are paying under $800 for all day because we booked a DJ/photographer duo.I would love to say our budget is $13,000 but I honestly have no clue as I have picked stuff up here and there.I am guessing I’m under that budget right now but I won’t know for sure until after we say I do next year lol.
  • Michelle
    Newbie July 2020 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a budget of $20K and we're spending 27K on a photographer for the day. Second shooter and full day coverage. We're in AB.. My fiance thought it was a lot at first too, but after looking at quality, we agreed it was worth the money.

• S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Jenny. I apologize for calling you Cassie
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Cassie and Congratulations.
    We paid $2,600 with the option to add more time if we want at no extra cost..
    We skipped the videographer. Just did not fit in the budget.
    Personally I think 2 photographers is plenty.
    You could ask a student at a college or a friend maybe. That's what I was thinking of doing.
  • Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our overall budget is 15-17K, we are spending about 2K on photography, but we haven’t quite decided on the amount of hours we want, so it could end up being a little more. Our photographers are a couple who have been great to deal with so far and come with glowing recommendations from anyone I’ve spoken to. All of their packages include engagement photos so they can get to know us better and work out any kinks for the big day. We are in Northern Ontario though, so costs are likely less than what they would be in Southern Ontario.
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I spent $5500.00 for a combination of Video & Photo.

This came with engagement photo & video session
    We will also have 2 Photographers & 2 Videographers on our wedding day. This also allows us to have a same day edit to show at the wedding after dinner & our thanks your cards, with a photo album provided to us and access to all RAW pictures online.

He has been great to deal with! Anyone in the GTA area who needs someone let me know! Smiley smile

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm in Ontario and our photographer was $1000 for engagement and 7 hours, she has done our family photos as well in the past.
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our budget was 25K and we spent 3.5K on photography. I ended up having to give up my wish of videography bc the budget couldn’t supply it.
  • Cassandra
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One of my bridesmaids is a professional photographer so I booked her for our wedding (she’s getting an assistant for the photos she has to be in) which only cost me 1,200$ she’s super reasonable and easy to work with and has great fantastic creative energy.
  • K
    Newbie April 2020 Alberta
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm budgeting $3500 for photography. It's the one thing that you can look back on forever to remember the day.

• Vanessa
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Lindsay!
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I spend $2800 on photography and $1500 on videography
  • Lindsay
    Beginner August 2020 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Vanessa!

We live in Toronto but our wedding will be in Caledon!

We found him on WeddingWire. Look him up he’s Keen and Posh Photography!
  • Kaitlynn
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Kaitlynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Including taxes and engagement session, we spent just under $2500 (thanks to 10% WW discount, too!). This includes two photographers and 9 hours of coverage, no videography. Well-rated photographers are plentiful within this budget for sure! Edited to add: Our budget is less than yours, but we both agreed to spend bigger on photography. Ask about flexible packages and think about what you want and how they might capture that. Let them know your vision and see what kind of quote they give you.

• Vanessa
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Lindsay! Where abouts in Ontario are you located? Do you mind passing along his information? Smiley smile Thanks!

• M
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have spent just under 3000 but used a wedding wire discount to bring it down 20-30% .

• Emily
    Newbie September 2019 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We spent about 3500 on photography. But that included 2 photographers, photo books for us and our parents and step parents, engagement shoot, all of our stationery including save the dates, invites, reply cards, thank you cards, guest book and photo booth.

For the videographer, we got him for half price, because we won a draw at a wedding show. We paid 1500 for it and got their top package

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics