Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lydia
Devoted June 2019 British Columbia

How many people did you take along dress shopping?

Lydia, on October 2, 2018 at 00:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 48
Hi everyone!

How many people did you, or do you plan to, take along when you're going dress shopping? Who are you taking with you?
And as a bonus, how many different stores did you go to and did you take along the same people? Did you visit multiple stores in a day?

48 Comments

Latest activity by Kateland, on October 26, 2018 at 13:52
  • Kateland
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Kateland ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to go to school at UoG and lived in guelph for 4 years! I was looking for a used dress but as a plus sized person it's a little tougher. I'm sure you'll find something perfect!

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have gone to David's Bridal, Bliss Bridal Boutique, and a consignment wedding dress store in Winnipeg. In Guelph (my hometown), I have been to The Modern Bride, and a consignment shop. I definitely think that I am going to focus on consignment shops - they are a fraction of the price, and a lot of them already come with alternations (bustle) done! They are also environmentally friendly which is even better.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I finally booked my first two appointments for this! I will be bringing my mom and possibly inviting my sister. I want to avoid the pressure of purchasing something over my budget and/or trying styles that aren’t “me,” so I want to keep the people joining me to a minimum.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went with my mom, future mother in-law and my maid of honour to my first and only dress appointment where I found the one.

For me three people was a good number to bring. It was enough opinions to help guide me along and help me decided on a dress, but not too many voices that I got drowned out.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I brought my mom and sister who flew in from out of town. I also brought 1 bridesmaid and we FaceTimed with my aunt who couldn't make it. We only went to 1 store and I only tried one 3 dresses. I decided in under an hour. It took them much longer to decide not bridesmaids dresses which also came from the same store. If I did not decide I would have went to another store the same day as my family was only in town for the weekend.
  • Heather
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to one store...tried on about 6 or 7 dressed. It was overwhelming but i found a dress i love and knew if i kept looking i would get more overwhelmed and confused. I brought 4 others with me.
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only shopped one day! We went to probably 4 or 5 stores and I found my dress at the last store which I just randomly googled while we were in the area. For me I only took my mom and my niece. I knew going into it I’d have anxiety with too many people/opinions. When I went for my first fitting I took my mother in law and my husbands grandma so they could still feel included.

With that that being said I also didn’t have a formal bridal party so there was no pressure to bring friends.
  • Kateland
    Kateland ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where have you gone so far? I'm from ontario too! (Newmarket). I tried two stores in newmarket, one in barrie, and then we ended up with "the one" at davids bridal!

• Kateland
    Kateland ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats so lucky! It took me so many dresses!!

• Kateland
    Kateland ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to 4 stores in total. The first time i had 5 people, the second time 2 people, the third time 4 people and the last time 3 people.

The first time I took my mom, step dad, sister, friend and my mother in law.

The second time was just my mom and my sister, the third time 2 of my sisters, my mom and my mother in law.

The very last time my mother in law, an aunt im very close with and one of my bridesmaids! We didn't go to multiple stores in one day. I dont think I could have handled that!

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The first visit was me and my parents (although Dad spent most of the time in the bookstore next door). This was more of an exploration of what I liked and didn’t like. Found one that I loved but was too tired and hungry to make a decision.

The second time was my mum, my SIL and one of my friends. I tried on the dress from the last time and pretty much decided that was the one. Still tried on a couple of others just for the crowd but I knew which one was my dress.
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The first time it was just me, it was spur of the moment, second time I took my MOH and my dest daughter, this weekend I am going alone as everyone is sick.
  • Kelcey
    Beginner April 2019 Alberta
    Kelcey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I brought my Mom, Mother in-law, Grammy, Grandma, Maid of honour, and a bridesmaid. I only went to ones store! I found my dres within and hour and a half!!
  • Éva
    Newbie October 2019 Alberta
    Éva ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I brought my MIL and one bridesmaid. We went all day 3 different stores. I ended up picking a dress at the third store and changing my mind (not the point...) I was worn out by the end of the day and I get hangry. I think the fewer people the better. They also have to be on board with your vision. Some stores also have a limit to how many guests you can bring so something to keep in mind.

• Keshia
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Keshia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    First dress I tried on at the first store!
    And I took my mother in law to be. My mom lives too far to be able to go to all the little things.
    My bridesmaids wanted to go but I decided I'd take them all dress Shopping for their own dresses rather than stress over mine too Smiley laugh
  • A
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Adele ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I luckily found my dress at the first store I went to...the second dress I tried on!

I brought my mom, my sisters and my aunt (because she has boys and won't get that experience).

I figured that if I didn't find it at the first store I could bring my mom and my future mother in law with me on the second try. Since that didn't happen, I told my future mother in law that she could come during the first fitting if she wanted to unless she wanted to be surprised at the wedding.

It depends how close you are with certain people - just remember the more people you bring, they more opinions you'll get.

Good Luck!

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have had a very interesting wedding dress shopping experience. First, I live in Winnipeg, but I am from southern Ontario, which is where the wedding will be, and secondly, I have tried on a number of dresses, but haven't had any luck yet! Every time that I have gone, I have only brought one person with me, but since I have gone so many times, I have brought my FMIL, my mom, my dad, my maid of honour, and a close friend. I have gone to four different stores, two in Ontario and two in Winnipeg, and currently, all on different days.. even months! I am trying to spread it out so I don't get too overwhelmed.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I took my grandma with me when I went shopping. and then I went alone as well.. I would suggest only taking the people that you honestly value their opinion.

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I took 3 and there were supposed to be 5, but my sister couldn't make it and my maid of honour got sick. But my mom, my mother in law, and my sister in law came with me. I'm kind of the only girly girl on both sides so I wanted everyone to get to enjoy the shopping experience once. And we did! I ended up buying the first dress I tried on. We went to 2 stores. But I'm very sure of my decisions and not easily swayed. If you struggle in the face of differing opinions, I would definitely not take people with you.

• Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha that's awesome, you were super lucky she was coming along then Smiley winking!
  • Dar
    Frequent user December 2018
    Dar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to one store with just my sister and her daughter. We thought it would just be a fun day for my 6-year old niece who loves Say Yes to the Dress. Turns out they were having a sample sale and the dress I fell in love with was half off.

Make sure you try on dress styles you may not think you'll like. I was adamantly against mermaid dresses and only put it on because my niece picked it out. That was the dress I ended up buying.

• Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I took 3 people in total with me.

For my first time, I had 2 appointments in 1 day. I don't suggest doing this if it is your first time trying dresses as it can be overwhelming. I took my mom and my sister to my first appointment and after leaving felt like I needed 1 more opinion so I asked my aunt to come to the second appointment. We didn't find the dress that day.

Our second time out I brought the same 3 people with me and ended up finding my dress that day. Just went to 1 place that day.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to one store and I brought only my bridal party. My mom and MOH will come with me to my final dress fitting to be shown how to bustle the dress. It was super easy and with only the 3 people with me I didn’t have an overwhelming amount of opinions or anything. I purposely didn’t bring my mom with me cause I knew she would be super opinionated and that she has a totally different idea of what my dress would look like than I did
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It went well-ish! The first place was a 10/10, second place was a 6/10, and the third place is barely a 3/10. We had appointments at each of them and I had timed it out so we had plenty of time between each, however, had I known that the experience would drop so quickly, I would have definitely skipped the last place!

• Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I brought my mom, my future mother-in-law and all my bridesmaids (all 4 happen to be my sisters). I wanted to include as many people as I could without putting my choices at risk. I didn’t want anyone who could be negative there, or anyone who would force their opinions on me. I got very lucky and I was so grateful that all my girls were 100% patient and there for me 💕

We booked 4 for the Saturday, and 1 on the Sunday. Unfortunately cancelled the last appointment on the Saturday because I was exhausted and just hadn’t found quite what I wanted.

On the Sunday it was a perfect refreshing start, I fell in love with the first dress I tried on but told myself to keep looking, we spent just over an hour until I figured out I wanted that first dress of the day 🙃
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I brought my mom, my step mom, future mother in law, my grandma, and my sister who is my MOH
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all the replies, this really helps ^^!
  • T
    Beginner August 2019 Manitoba
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I saw a dress in a local shop window, went back later with my fiancé, fell in love with it, bought it the next day. So untraditional but love that it was my decision and not someone else’s Smiley smile
  • Christy
    Newbie January 2019 Alberta
    Christy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I made the mistake of taking a small group to multiple stores in one day. Make sure you have one vocal (person your age) to get conversation started. My group was very quiet and by the end of the first store I knew it would be a long day. If I had only
    bookef one store and saw how the group did I would have known to bring more vocal people.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I invited 4 people. My mom, my MIL, MOH and bridesmaid. We went to two stores in one day and the dress I ended up loving was the very first one I tried on!

• Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went dress shopping in one store only and found my dress during that visit. I brought along my mom and sister - plenty enough and they know me really well, so finding the dress was super easy and fun! Stress free!! Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha well glad she has maintained that honesty and bound with you!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics