Lydia
Devoted June 2019 British Columbia

How many people did you take along dress shopping?

Lydia, on 2/October/2018 at 00:37 Posted in Plan a wedding
Hi everyone!

How many people did you, or do you plan to, take along when you're going dress shopping? Who are you taking with you?
And as a bonus, how many different stores did you go to and did you take along the same people? Did you visit multiple stores in a day?
Share:

48 Comments

• Kateland
    Curious September 2019 Ontario
    Kateland ·
    View quoted message

I used to go to school at UoG and lived in guelph for 4 years! I was looking for a used dress but as a plus sized person it's a little tougher. I'm sure you'll find something perfect!

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    View quoted message

I have gone to David's Bridal, Bliss Bridal Boutique, and a consignment wedding dress store in Winnipeg. In Guelph (my hometown), I have been to The Modern Bride, and a consignment shop. I definitely think that I am going to focus on consignment shops - they are a fraction of the price, and a lot of them already come with alternations (bustle) done! They are also environmentally friendly which is even better.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    I finally booked my first two appointments for this! I will be bringing my mom and possibly inviting my sister. I want to avoid the pressure of purchasing something over my budget and/or trying styles that aren’t “me,” so I want to keep the people joining me to a minimum.
  • Caitlyn
    Featured January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·

I went with my mom, future mother in-law and my maid of honour to my first and only dress appointment where I found the one.

For me three people was a good number to bring. It was enough opinions to help guide me along and help me decided on a dress, but not too many voices that I got drowned out.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    I brought my mom and sister who flew in from out of town. I also brought 1 bridesmaid and we FaceTimed with my aunt who couldn't make it. We only went to 1 store and I only tried one 3 dresses. I decided in under an hour. It took them much longer to decide not bridesmaids dresses which also came from the same store. If I did not decide I would have went to another store the same day as my family was only in town for the weekend.
  • H
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Heather ·
    I went to one store...tried on about 6 or 7 dressed. It was overwhelming but i found a dress i love and knew if i kept looking i would get more overwhelmed and confused. I brought 4 others with me.
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    I only shopped one day! We went to probably 4 or 5 stores and I found my dress at the last store which I just randomly googled while we were in the area. For me I only took my mom and my niece. I knew going into it I’d have anxiety with too many people/opinions. When I went for my first fitting I took my mother in law and my husbands grandma so they could still feel included.

With that that being said I also didn’t have a formal bridal party so there was no pressure to bring friends.
  • Kateland
    Kateland ·
    View quoted message

Where have you gone so far? I'm from ontario too! (Newmarket). I tried two stores in newmarket, one in barrie, and then we ended up with "the one" at davids bridal!

• Kateland
    Kateland ·
    View quoted message

Thats so lucky! It took me so many dresses!!

• Kateland
    Kateland ·

I went to 4 stores in total. The first time i had 5 people, the second time 2 people, the third time 4 people and the last time 3 people.

The first time I took my mom, step dad, sister, friend and my mother in law.

The second time was just my mom and my sister, the third time 2 of my sisters, my mom and my mother in law.

The very last time my mother in law, an aunt im very close with and one of my bridesmaids! We didn't go to multiple stores in one day. I dont think I could have handled that!

• Lucy
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Lucy ·
    The first visit was me and my parents (although Dad spent most of the time in the bookstore next door). This was more of an exploration of what I liked and didn’t like. Found one that I loved but was too tired and hungry to make a decision.

The second time was my mum, my SIL and one of my friends. I tried on the dress from the last time and pretty much decided that was the one. Still tried on a couple of others just for the crowd but I knew which one was my dress.
  • A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    The first time it was just me, it was spur of the moment, second time I took my MOH and my dest daughter, this weekend I am going alone as everyone is sick.
  • Kelcey
    Beginner April 2019 Alberta
    Kelcey ·
    I brought my Mom, Mother in-law, Grammy, Grandma, Maid of honour, and a bridesmaid. I only went to ones store! I found my dres within and hour and a half!!
  • Éva
    Newbie October 2019 Alberta
    Éva ·

I brought my MIL and one bridesmaid. We went all day 3 different stores. I ended up picking a dress at the third store and changing my mind (not the point...) I was worn out by the end of the day and I get hangry. I think the fewer people the better. They also have to be on board with your vision. Some stores also have a limit to how many guests you can bring so something to keep in mind.

• Keshia
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Keshia ·
    First dress I tried on at the first store!
    And I took my mother in law to be. My mom lives too far to be able to go to all the little things.
    My bridesmaids wanted to go but I decided I'd take them all dress Shopping for their own dresses rather than stress over mine too Smiley laugh
  • A
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Adele ·

I luckily found my dress at the first store I went to...the second dress I tried on!

I brought my mom, my sisters and my aunt (because she has boys and won't get that experience).

I figured that if I didn't find it at the first store I could bring my mom and my future mother in law with me on the second try. Since that didn't happen, I told my future mother in law that she could come during the first fitting if she wanted to unless she wanted to be surprised at the wedding.

It depends how close you are with certain people - just remember the more people you bring, they more opinions you'll get.

Good Luck!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles