Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Casey
Master October 2019 Ontario

How long of an engagement are you having?

Casey, on January 14, 2020 at 09:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 33

I have seen so many engagements pop up on social media in the last year and then it feels like a little bit of time goes by and they are already married! I want to know what factors you have thought about when planning your wedding date after being engaged!

How long of an engagement are you having?

Longer than a year to save some money and enjoy being an engaged couple?

A year: Ready to get on it

Less than a year: Can't wait to be married

Or even shorter that and eloping right away!

Our engagement was almost 2 years (Feb 2018 - Oct 2019), and I am so glad we did it that way. It gave us time to save up and really think what we wanted for our big day. Plus there was no rush at all when it came to planning, i never felt the need to stress about anything because of how much time I had. We could have easily gotten married Oct 2018, but didn't want to rush anything and just wanted to enjoy being engaged!

33 Comments

Latest activity by Casey, on January 20, 2020 at 09:31
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Plenty of time to plan! Honestly we would have done the exact same thing, but my sister was coming from Australia, and I didn't want it to put pressure on her to come over here really quick

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly why we decided on a little bit longer of an engagement. I really wanted a couple vendors, and if I would have waited, they would have been booked!

it is nice that you factored in people from out of country!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There is nothing wrong with doing what works for you guys! It's one less thing to stress about when you give yourself a ton of time to plan and save!

• Brittany
    Frequent user July 2022 New Brunswick
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got engaged the end of October 2019. We aren’t getting married until September 23rd 2022, so we can finish university and save money. Some people thought we were crazy for getting engaged when still in school, but now we have more time to plan and enjoy our engagement!
  • K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Engaged July 21, 2019- getting married June 20, 2020. We didn’t want to waste a single second, but knew we both wanted a more traditional wedding- so we allowed some time for that. But for us, we’re in our mid 30s - no kids- living together- what were we waiting for , other than nicer weather? Lol... to each his own 😀
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got engaged Sept.2018... our wedding is Aug 2020. The biggest fact is with it being a summer wedding I wanted to give myself enough time to make sure I’d be able to book every vendor I wanted to. Starting with our venue, photographer etc. Plus we have family coming from out of country so it gives everyone time to get everything in order Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    For sure! Or at least I hope so Smiley tongue
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So exciting.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For sure! A smaller wedding is easier to do in a shorter amount of time. That is still a good chunk of time to get everything done!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I loved the planning, I feel like sometimes I have nothing to do. But thankfully our life is starting to get a little crazy lol. So I have been a little more preoccupied.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Stress free is #1. It is so nice to have a bigger gap so you aren't super rushed

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Well we've been engaged forever. Since February 2013. We just sort of stayed at that point for a long time because of finances. We started really planning and booking about two years out (still at 400 days). There really is no hurry for us to get married planning has been fun. No idea what I'll do once it's over.
  • Amanda
    Newbie January 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are looking at 2022 so at least 2 years. We want lots of time to enjoy being engaged, plan everything, save up, and be as stress free as possible.

• Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged Nov 2nd & are getting married July 2nd. Once we decided to have a small wedding we didn't see the point in waiting Smiley smile
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Engaged 3 years. We had kids in between so wanted to adjust to that a bit first. Now we’re in planning mode and the wedding is this August!
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is really great to give yourself that time! We had a ton of home reno's we wanted to do before getting married, and we actually got a good chunk of it done while also wedding planning lol!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It does make such a big difference to have that time to save. You don't realize how much you are spending, and how much you need to organize!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love it! Honestly my Husband wanted to do it quick, and small, but I wanted something bigger.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Amazing! So great to have a family place to have a wedding.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow!! Coming Quick!

Hope you have an amazing day!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Always better to do it with more time than feel pressured.

Lol same! I feel like this is the year of pregnancy announcements lol

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our engagement was pretty much 2 years bang on. We wanted time to plan since we were doing it long distance (got married in London, both live in Thunder Bay).

2019 was also a more ideal year than 2018 so that helped with our decision lol.

Side note: I have also noticed more engagement announcements on my Facebook as well as pregnancy ones - not helping my baby fever lol

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged April 2018 and we're getting married in 4 days! In total it's been one year and nine months. We thought that getting married late 2018/early 2019 was too much of a rush but I was so eager and focused that we probably could have pulled it off for then.

• Kimberly
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our engagement is 17 months ish... were having our wedding on my family farm so we needed time to complete task to fix things up. also the fact that I haven't felt a lot of pressure to get things done quickly

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We fall into the eloping/microwedding right away category. 5 weeks. It was a fun whirlwind.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll be 2 days shy of a 2-year engagement. We really wanted a fall wedding but I didn't think I could've planned everything in a year so we went with two and I'm really glad we did. I think I could've easily done it in a year and a half but it's given us extra time to save, which has made a huge difference.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got engaged in December 2018 and we get married July 2020. We're just under a year and seven months.

We chose this length of an engagement because I wanted to get married in the summer and the summer of 2019 was too rushed. I actually don't mind how long we've been engaged for because its given us the opportunity to save for our house - which hopefully we'll find in the next months.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were engaged for 3 3/4 years unofficially. Time passed by to get married and finally got the word 18 months towards starting the planning of the wedding.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got engaged in September 2019 and are getting married in October 2020, so not quite 13 months.

Part of me wishes we had a shorter engagement as a lot of things came together quickly and I'm ready for forever, but I'm also really glad that we get all this time to plan together and to enjoy being engaged.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Got engaged dec 2018 and wedding is aug 2020 so a year and 8 months so 20 months total, i wanted a bit longer so i can vendor shop around and take time to plan each thing. also more time to save and pay off vendors!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    25 months! Got engaged May 2, 2018 and wedding is June 6, 2020!
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Everything happens for a reason!

That is amazing that you can make your wedding day your dating anniversary!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics