Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

How long have you known your maid (or matron) of honour?

Lynnie, on February 19, 2019 at 13:34 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 35

Do you and your maid or matron of honour go way back? Have you been best friends for what feels like forever, or are they someone you met later in life but now can't imagine getting wed without!! Smiley heart

How long have you known your MOH?

How long have you known your maid (or matron) of honour? 1

Photo from Meraki Bridal Co. in Pickering, ON

How long have you known your maid (or matron) of honour? 2

Photo by Note Photography in Vancouver

Keep buzzing about your bridesmaids in: Let's talk bridesmaid hair and makeup!, Wedding party proposals? How did you ask?, and What are your bridesmaids wearing?

35 Comments

Latest activity by Allen, on February 27, 2019 at 22:26
  • Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met my MOH at the gym as she was the daycare attendant who watched my 4 year old while I worked out. We ended up clicking and hanging out every other day lol! 5 years later were still very close Smiley smile
  • Deborah
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Deborah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met my MOH eleven years ago. She was the first person I met upon moving into my university flat. We would sit on the window sill chatting for hours and watching the world go by. Life is very different for us these days - I'm here and she is still in England, careers are hectic etc but we always pick right back up where we left off and she was thrilled to be asked. I found a vendor on Etsy UK who put together a lovely gift box with a personalised card, compact mirror and makeup bag. Luckily she was working from home the day it was delivered and she was chuffed. Certain planning things may be hard to do so far apart but we will try!

• Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been friends with my MOH & Chief Bridesmaid for almost 20 years ❤ I have a hard time making and keeping friends yet those 2 girls have stuck by me through all my antics lol. I've known since I was 19 that they were going to be a huge part of my wedding and I'm so happy they said yes to it. I wouldn't want anyone else to stand by me on my big day!!
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

9 years. At that time, we were both working in the same company and since we were both singles, we hang out every Friday after work, trying out new restaurants and movies. For the past 3.5 years, she has moved back to where she came from because her father passed away and she has to continue running the father's businesses. We were only chatting online from time to time. But when I told her I would get married and wanted her to be my MOH, she said yes and she would fly in from half the world away.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Almost 3 years!

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I met my MOH in grade 9 and have been best friends ever since!

• S
    Curious August 2019 British Columbia
    Svetlana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Met my MOH 1 month after moving to Canada back in end of grade 9! Now we both get to graduate with Bachelors 3 months before the wedding and it will be 8 years of friendshipSmiley smile
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My sisters and I are triplets so I made them both my co-maid of honours. So I've known them my whole life!
  • Z
    Curious August 2019 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've known my Man of Honour (my brother!) all his life Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had three on my side and my MOH I have known the shortest amount of time, which is 3.5 years but we became fast friends!
  • H
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Hayley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My maid of honor and I have been best friends since we were 4. I have known she would be my maid of honor forever
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not having a wedding party but my best friend and I have known each other since we were 14 at a reception for incoming new students. She and 2 other girls tapped me on the shoulder and offered to show me around. During the tour, I got cold and she offered me her denim jacket. We've been friends ever since...even though we lost touch for about 4 years when we went to university...and when we reconnected it was like we hadn't lost any time at all.

• Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have 2 Matron of Honours. My 1st one and I just clicked the moment we met. She was dating my ex boyfriend and I had heard that they moved in 2gether so I took them a card and we have been BF's since! I am the very proud Godmother of their 2 beautiful Children. My Godaughter who is 15 is our junior Bridesmaid. My oldest Godson was supposed to be an Usher but he has moved far away so we will face time at our Wedding. My other MOH is my Cousin. She knows me so well! I am the Godmother of her only Son. They are 2 beautiful Women inside and out. I don't have my own Kids so being Auntie and Godmother mean the World to me. I just knew by picking one over the other was causing pain to one of them and I couldn't do it. They couldn't be more different but I think that's part of what I love so much about each of them 👭 They weren't even FB Friends until I choose my Wedding party. They have really come together for my sake and I truly appreciate this 😉 I have been holding off announcing who will stand beside me... for now I'll focus on the joy!
  • Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since the last day of 8th grade. We’ll both be 46 on my wedding day. There is no one else I want standing next to me as I take my vows.
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My little sister was my maid of honour, I've known her for 28 years! Smiley heart And my sister-in-law was my matron of honour, I had known her for about 7 years on my wedding day!

• Jessica
    Beginner July 2020 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have known my maid of honour since elementary school. We are going on 20 years of friendship. But I don't think you should be picking a MOH on timing alone. I picked my MOH because there is no one in the world I can count on like her. You want someone who is going to not only do what needs to be done but go above and beyond. Someone who WANTS to be there for everything. I feel bad for anyone who doesn't have a MOH as great as mine because she is a gift.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both have known the MOHs as they work in the same salon and get my haircut from that shop.

His boss was his MOH as he has been working there for years and his co worker became my MOH after my co worker at my work was moving east coast. I chose her for the reason of 2 girls that are somewhat manipulative in the ways they act and talk (along with the boss playing on both sides). It made me happy to know that she mattered and appreciated as a friend that I became close to in the time frame of getting to know her.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've known my MOH for about 8 months... but she is my fiance's sister, and we hit it off immediately. We are really close now, and she's been there for me after I had a massive falling out with my closest friend last year.

• Diana
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Diana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve known my MOH all of my life... she’s my sister. I’ve know since I was a little girl that my sister would by maid of honour. We have such a great relationship and I couldn’t imagine getting married without her. She is also so supportive of myself and my FH’s relationship.
  • Nikki
    Curious September 2019 Saskatchewan
    Nikki ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My MOH and I have known each other for 25 years, and have been best friends for 20. We met in elementary school band, attended the same high school, and by the time we graduated were joined at the hip!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    29 years since she’s my sister lol.
  • L
    Frequent user February 2020 Ontario
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am so fortunate. I have 2!
    They are twins and our dads worked together when we were all born. We attended pre-school together at age 2 and have been best friends since.

• Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I met my maid of honor in 4th grade, so about 16 years ago.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My best friend is my MOH and we’ve known each other for 15 years now! We were in the same class in grade 7 when she moved to town. I had determined that I hated her before meeting her because we have the same name (different spelling) and for once I had been in a class where I was the only Caitlyn before she moved to town. She made friends with one of my friends and we started hanging out and then my hate melted away into love Smiley xd
  • Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve known him for 8 years. We promised a long time ago that we’d stand up for each other even though I was SURE I’d never meet anyone I wanted to marry lol but here we are!
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My MOH is my little sister so I have known her 22 years.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since she was born Smiley xd my younger sister was my MOH. She was also my witness. My husband's BM was his older brother, so since HE was born... lol.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My witness would've been my MOH, had we decided to have a wedding party. I've known her for about 14 years now, having met her while working retail in our late teens. I can't imagine my wedding day without her, tbh! Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love this! I have known her around 5 years and we have been best friends for about 4 of them. We met because both of our exes were best friends. So the 4 of us would always get together. Then we ditched the guys and kept each other!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

26 years! My MOH is my sister. I knew within the last couple years that she would be my MOH because of the relationship that we have. I could depend on her more than any friends that I have had!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just over 10 years!

We were 2 nerdy teens who met at a convention and started talking and bonding over anime and video games! It's so funny... now 10 years later we are both grown up so much, in great careers and have a loving partner by our sides! We always joke about how much we would love to go back to those 2 school girls chatting on the bench and telling them how amazing life would be 10 years from then! We wouldn't have believed ourselves hahaha!

• Shla
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Shla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If we were having a bridal party it would be my friend from high school. So 16 years.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics