Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Frequent user February 2020 Ontario

How early should I reserve hair/makeup artists?

Liarra, on February 19, 2019 at 20:09 Posted in Beauty 0 28

Hi ladies,

My wedding is just under a year away and I havent started looking into makeup/hair artists yet but I'm wondering how far in advance I should start the process?

Also if anyone has suggestions of people they've used in and around the Barrie ON area that would be amazing!

Thanks!

28 Comments

Latest activity by Sharlene, on March 22, 2019 at 12:08
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had the lady I normally use at home offer to come to our wedding in Jasper (4 hrs) away to do hair and make-up for the bridal party and now she says she has a scheduling conflict. I am back looking for someone in small town Jasper, which is going to cost much more money. But thankfully we discovered this now and not later (August 3 is our wedding day).

• S
    Newbie August 2020 Quebec
    Stephanie-Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Liarra any thing I have read says to book around 10-9 months away from your wedding, before you book its always a good idea to go for a trial without telling them its for your wedding to see how they are willing to work with you to achieve the look you want.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I booked all my vendors pretty far in advance, all my vendors were booked and deposits made by the 1 year mark till our wedding. It depends how in demand they are as to how far in advance you need to book them. I found that the people who travelled to the venue to do hair/makeup booked up faster than the salons that you had to go to. The more in advance you book them though the more time you have to do a trial or two to find the exact look that you want with them

• Geoff
    Beginner March 2019 Ontario
    Geoff ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m a hairstylist and at my salon our appointment book only goes 6 months ahead. We’ve had lots of clients/bridal parties book a year in advance though.
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone I have booked my makeup artist and I believe I've found my desired hair stylist!

• M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I booked my two make up artists and hair person about a year in advance.

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for letting me know! I have found someone Smiley smile
  • Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Liarra,
    I have not forgotten about you, I just wasn't sure what to say. I asked my BF and she was touched but only does Wedding Hair for pre existing clients. I hope you have found someone fabulous!
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Am I the only crazy one who booked mine a year in advance? Haha

But seriously, depends where you are located. They are a hot commodity here and go fast!

So I would say ASAP Smiley smile

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im at the 5 month mark in a couple days and I have no idea who im going to ask... I should start looking!! haha

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm at the eight-month mark and am in the process of looking for a hair/makeup artist. Majority have my date open, so you should be fine! But it couldn't hurt to start early as perhaps you'll be able to lock in your prices (if they change annually).

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

NP! I hope everything works out for you Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I started looking for make up 8 months in advance. I knew who I wanted and I wasn't willing to go with anyone else.. The sooner the better for things like that - if they're exceptional they will book up fast.

• Shruti
    Beginner July 2019 Alberta
    Shruti ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Liarra ,

I would suggest to start looking and pricing for different vendors and then book around the 5 month period ..... I booked mine around the 5 month mark and will have the trial around 3 month mark.
    Hope this helps and good luck !
  • Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I’m in the same boat! Thanks for this discussion I needed an idea of timeframe for this too, I have no clue who I am going to ask either! The girl who does my colour doesn’t do a lot of the style I was looking for. So I’m researching for sure, but I’ve been kinda curious what my deadline for researching should be.

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes lash extensions !! I’ve never had them but I definitely want them for the big day. Makes a huge difference in photos. We are getting married at the MacLaren art Centre. How about you? Does your friend have a Facebook page or website I could check out?
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you 😀 My eye makeup will be done differently on our Wedding day and my Mom and I are getting lash extensions rather than fake. One of my MOHs has a salon just outside of Barrie. She works on her own and does gorgeous work. If you would like me to get prices and to see if shes available on your special day just send me a message. Where are you getting married?
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Julie,

thanks so much for the help! You look gorgeous! Your friend who owns her salon is she at Samson’s or elsewhere?

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi 😀 I am from Barrie too! 1 of my MOHs also owns her own salon so shes been booked since we chose our Wedding date almost a Year ago. My Mom who has been going to Samsons for over 20 Years, booked hers & 4 of my Girls 7 months before Our Wedding Day. Our Wedding date is March 23, 2019. We booked our makeup artist (i included my makeup trial pic) in June and am sure glad I listened to my Mom and booked early since her prices have definitely went up. For example I write everything down in my bridal planner. I put $75 aside for trial and tip. When we were finished, the makeup artist asked for $100.00 fee... I was embarrassed but I had to tell her that I have all the quotes and my trial was $65. Makeup artist is keeping her original quoted prices as we left deposit. My Mom, FMIL & 6 Bridesmaids are $65 or $70 if you want fake lashes. My price as the Bride is $120.00. I also have to pay a $100.00 fee for having 2nd makeup artist come as there 9 of us all together. Samsons on Dunlop is $65 for an up do. If you would like links or more information, please let me know. If you don't have your DJ or photographer yet, please let me know if you need some help 👰 Where are you getting married in Barrie?

How early should I reserve hair/makeup artists? 1
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd start looking asap... I find vendors in Barrie book up fast. If you're looking for a salon rather than someone who comes to you I would highly recommend i.d. hair studio!
  • Bahar
    Newbie July 2019 Ontario
    Bahar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd say as soon as possible. You don't need to book right away, but the whole process of researching, getting quotes, and possibly trials is long. Especially if you have a big bridal party. I thought I had so much time left but when I reached out to the salon I liked, they said they were fully booked for the morning, although the date was 6 months away, my wedding is on a Friday, and they have around 10 hair/MU artists. We ended up making the schedule work but I booked with them before the trial, which was not my preference.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I reserved mine around the 5 month mark, I think that should be enough time Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The sooner the better.

When I was searching for mine, she was the only one with reasonable prices, plus she only does so many weddings a year. I jumped right on booking her!

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ill look into them, thanks for you help!

• Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've booked with The Hair Studio , Christy is from Elmvale but will travel to Angus for our wedding day so I am sure Barrie wouldn't be an issue. I've gotten my hair trimmed by her and she was super nice, professsional and easy to talk to!
  • Diana
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Diana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would start looking now. You’ll want to book your trail too. I’m in Niagara so I’m not too sure of places around there but I’d start researching places you might like and see who is avaible for you date. Good luck!
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll check them out!
    Thank you

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’d start now! Begin the process of emailing potential vendors and finding our pricing and availability. Also, if you do a trial, you might want to do it for your bridal shower (if you have one), therefore you’d have to coordinate dates with them.

I booked with JK Glam (she’s in Bradford), and her stuff looks pretty good. I found her on here so good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics