Liarra
Frequent user February 2020 Ontario

How early should I reserve hair/makeup artists?

Liarra, on 19/February/2019 at 20:09 Posted in Beauty

Hi ladies,

My wedding is just under a year away and I havent started looking into makeup/hair artists yet but I'm wondering how far in advance I should start the process?

Also if anyone has suggestions of people they've used in and around the Barrie ON area that would be amazing!

Thanks!

Share:

28 Comments

• Sharlene
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·

I had the lady I normally use at home offer to come to our wedding in Jasper (4 hrs) away to do hair and make-up for the bridal party and now she says she has a scheduling conflict. I am back looking for someone in small town Jasper, which is going to cost much more money. But thankfully we discovered this now and not later (August 3 is our wedding day).

• S
    Newbie April 2020 Quebec
    Stephanie-Marie ·
    Hi Liarra any thing I have read says to book around 10-9 months away from your wedding, before you book its always a good idea to go for a trial without telling them its for your wedding to see how they are willing to work with you to achieve the look you want.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·

I booked all my vendors pretty far in advance, all my vendors were booked and deposits made by the 1 year mark till our wedding. It depends how in demand they are as to how far in advance you need to book them. I found that the people who travelled to the venue to do hair/makeup booked up faster than the salons that you had to go to. The more in advance you book them though the more time you have to do a trial or two to find the exact look that you want with them

• Geoff
    Beginner March 2019 Ontario
    Geoff ·
    I’m a hairstylist and at my salon our appointment book only goes 6 months ahead. We’ve had lots of clients/bridal parties book a year in advance though.
  • Liarra
    Liarra ·

Thanks everyone I have booked my makeup artist and I believe I've found my desired hair stylist!

• M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·

I booked my two make up artists and hair person about a year in advance.

• Liarra
    Liarra ·
    View quoted message
    Thank you for letting me know! I have found someone
  • Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    View quoted message
    Hi Liarra,
    I have not forgotten about you, I just wasn't sure what to say. I asked my BF and she was touched but only does Wedding Hair for pre existing clients. I hope you have found someone fabulous!
  • Seleena
    Expert September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·

Am I the only crazy one who booked mine a year in advance? Haha

But seriously, depends where you are located. They are a hot commodity here and go fast!

So I would say ASAP

• Janaya
    Devoted August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·

Im at the 5 month mark in a couple days and I have no idea who im going to ask... I should start looking!! haha

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·

I'm at the eight-month mark and am in the process of looking for a hair/makeup artist. Majority have my date open, so you should be fine! But it couldn't hurt to start early as perhaps you'll be able to lock in your prices (if they change annually).

• Bianca
    Featured August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    View quoted message

NP! I hope everything works out for you

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·

I started looking for make up 8 months in advance. I knew who I wanted and I wasn't willing to go with anyone else.. The sooner the better for things like that - if they're exceptional they will book up fast.

• Shruti
    Beginner July 2019 Alberta
    Shruti ·
    Hi Liarra ,

I would suggest to start looking and pricing for different vendors and then book around the 5 month period ..... I booked mine around the 5 month mark and will have the trial around 3 month mark.
    Hope this helps and good luck !
  • Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·

I’m in the same boat! Thanks for this discussion I needed an idea of timeframe for this too, I have no clue who I am going to ask either! The girl who does my colour doesn’t do a lot of the style I was looking for. So I’m researching for sure, but I’ve been kinda curious what my deadline for researching should be.

• Liarra
    Liarra ·
    View quoted message
    Yes lash extensions !! I’ve never had them but I definitely want them for the big day. Makes a huge difference in photos. We are getting married at the MacLaren art Centre. How about you? Does your friend have a Facebook page or website I could check out?

Comment on this discussion

Related articles