Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mackenzie
Newbie June 2021 Alberta

How early is too early for Save the Dates?

Mackenzie, on January 19, 2019 at 15:15 Posted in Before the wedding 0 12
We have our venue booked for June 12, 2020. I know people typically don’t send out save the dates until 8-12 months before, but if we know the info, why not send them out now? Or is that rude/dumb to do. Most people will be traveling for the wedding.

Advice?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on January 20, 2019 at 22:48
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did ours just under a year in advance. Most of my family knew anyway, but it was a nice little reminder. Invites go out in April!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say to go for it! I know most people send them out around the 8-12 month mark but if I were doing them I would have liked to send them out at the 1 year mark. So sending them out now at like a year and 5 months doesn't seem too early at all.

Congrats on the engagement by the way!!!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I sent mine out a week ago for my October wedding, which would be 9 months before. We will send our invites out 3 months before.

I would wait to send them out 12 months ahead, otherwise guests could loose the card and need the info later on. A year out will give travelling guests lots of time. Probably 75% of our guests will be travelling for the wedding as well.

The only exception would be if you were having a destination wedding, then you could send them out 18 months ahead.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent our save the dates 7.5 months prior,
    and our invitations about 4 months prior.

We’re having a destination wedding so we wanted to give guests a heads up.

I understand that you’re excited to send them, but I would say send them no earlier than 10-12 months (max).
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't advise sending them if it's over 12 months away from your wedding. Similar to what Bianca said, people might lose the card or entirely forget about the date altogether. Especially since people don't tend to plan out their travels that far in advance.

• L
    Frequent user February 2020 Ontario
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding will be February 2020 and I just ordered our save the dates.
    We will have a lot of "out-of-towners" as well as some out of province. We figured there is no harm in sending them out early, that way those who may decide they wont be making the travel can let us know early and we can solidify #'s even sooner.
    Also with the wedding being in February we want to give people enough notice not to travel south that weekend.
    I say the earlier the better for you Smiley smile

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There is definitely no timeline of when to send them out. I think whenever you feel it's necessary to then do it. We booked our date and venue 2 months after we got engaged which was just under 2 years till the date but we didn't want to send them out right away because honestly if I got a save the date 2 years in advance I would forget about it. So we sent ours out in August, about 10 months before the wedding. We wanted as close to the 1 year mark because we had recently moved from Ontario to BC and I was pregnant so lots of people had lots of questions about the wedding, so this way we were able to say yes we are still getting married, still on Ontario and here is the date! Lol but it's definitely whenever you feel lost comfortable sending them out!
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you have a lot of out of town guests I don’t see a problem with it being over a year before the wedding. Give them time to plan/save.
    We gave ours out at Christmas for our October wedding for those that we saw. The rest will go out by the end of the month
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent ours out about 10 months prior. The risk you run if you send them too early is that people might loose them/forget about them.
  • Breanne
    Frequent user September 2019 Alberta
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Mackenzie!

We sent our Save the Dates out in October 2018! Our wedding is September 21st, 2019. We were aiming for a year in advance, as the majority of our guests will be travelling from quite a distance.

I personally, don’t think there’s such a thing as too early!

Hope this helps!
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is June 6, 2020 and i plan on sending mine out in June. I don’t think now would be too early tho!
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sent mine almost two years prior to the wedding date because I had so many people travelling from overseas!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics