Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Veronica
Super October 2021 Alberta

How early did you start diy projects?

Veronica, on March 13, 2019 at 15:33 Posted in DIY 0 21

Hey WW peeps!

I'm only 2 months into the engagement and 18.5 months away from the wedding - so literally no rush at all. However I knew early on what I wanted for the wedding and it hasn't strayed much from my initial thoughts. So I have lots of DIY decor and other tidbits planned out (signage, favors etc) and I am SO eager to get rolling. However, something is telling me that its way to soon to start this kind of stuff? What if I change my mind? Where will I store it all? Etc. Just curious on all your experiences! But I am so eager and I have lots of free time on my hands lol.

How early did you start DIY? Did you change your mind at any point? Where did you store it all?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel, on May 5, 2019 at 15:19
  • Rachel
    Frequent user July 2019 Ontario
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Start making them as early as possible! That way you don't get stressed out and feel like you need to rush things. Especially since you have time off now, it will keep things less stressful in the last few months if all of your DIY stuff is taken care of. I spent a few months planning everything out, deciding exactly what I wanted and then started in on my projects. (I had a LOT of projects I wanted to do). I did change my mind on a few of the projects once I started, a few things I re-did, but the others I just decided to roll with. So far it has all worked out well. Because I started early, I was able to save a bit more money as well. I was able to buy supplies at Michael's a little at a time so I could utilize more coupons, and sales! I managed to do my projects for half of what I originally thought it would cost!! Definitely worth starting really early!

As for storage, we live in a small apartment, it has looked like the wedding exploded all over it for months, with projects on the go stored in random corners, and stacks of finished items ready to go. We are lucky, as my parents live not far from our venue, and are allowing us to store anything we need to at their place. Otherwise, I'm not sure what we would do!

• Kassandra
    Frequent user May 2020 Alberta
    Kassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are just over a year away and yesterday I started making the centerpieces for the tables. Once summer hits we will be making the outdoor road signs etc 😊
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have somewhere to keep things then definitely not too early at all. I started buying things almost immediately but just made sure to keep track of what I had and had a place to store it. You are definitely fine starting now. It will be nice to not do it all at the last minute.

• Alex
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Alex ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you! I've been engaged for 3 months now, and I've already booked my venue and DJ, and I'm looking for a wedding officiant now. I don't think it's a bad idea to do things too early - it takes away a lot of stress since you have plenty of time to plan everything! We decided to do a lot of DIY things to keep costs down, and we've already started some of the projects: centerpieces with flowers we are making, as well as the wedding gifts for our guests! We are storing things in a bin as much as possible, and I mean it's not like paper is going to go bad. Just keep everything organized and just make sure you're enjoying doing your projects! There's no sense in waiting until the wedding and the realizing you've run out of time! Hope this helps Smiley smile

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree with that, I love keeping the excitement up. I want to enjoy wedding plan for the full time haha. Although I am not sure my friends and family feel the same way...good thing we have wedding wire to talk on!

• Taya
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Taya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im in exactly the same boat! Engaged for a month and 18.5 months from the date! I just am so excited I cant wait to start and want to work on things little by little so its less stressful. It also seems like a great way to keep the excitement levels high!

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is so true!Grab it while you can
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Time goes fast, you will be thankful that you have a good head start. Like the others have said keep a list somewhere of what you have purchased so that you don't forget what you have purchased. Rubbermaid totes are the way to go in storing your items. Plus if you do find something you like and don't get it, there is no way of knowing that it will be available later on and then you'll kick yourself for not buying it.

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok got it! Thank you. Yes the dollar store, Amazon and Michaels are all going to be frequented by me.

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly I just keep the fabric items readily accessible so I can pull them out and compare lol.I have multiple different photos in different lighting on my phone as well to try and compare as I go out and about and so far I have been bang on.Ordered chair sashes off of amazon that turned out to be an exact match for the lanterns I bought off craigslist etc.Oh and the dollar store will be a great place for odds and ends such as candy bar boxes (using cardboard cupcake containers)

How early did you start diy projects? 1

How early did you start diy projects? 2

How early did you start diy projects? 3

How early did you start diy projects? 4
  • Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is great advice! Thank you. I love the tip for an inventory list, that is so something I would need/do. Where did you get color swatches from?

• Veronica
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the responses! I am hearing that I can start ASAP and feel at ease Smiley smile

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey I set the date 2 years in advance so I have been actively working on diy projects and collecting stuff ever since.I have changed my mind on a couple of things and was luckily able to sell what no longer worked and used the money to buy the new stuff.I still have 17 months to go and my list is getting smaller every week and it’s amazing!As for storage we have been putting everything in rubber maid totes and after the first few stressful inventory checks I got smart and wrote a list of everything inside and taped it to the inside of the lid.If you do start early make sure you keep track of what y I have and definitely keep colour swatches handy as shades will change every so often with suppliers.Amazon is a great place to buy supplies as well 👍 good luck and congrats on setting a date!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not doing too many DIYs, just the menus, programs, and favors. I am working on the favors right now and I do wish I had started those a bit earlier. I think you can never be too early.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not too early! I regret not getting a huge start on some of the projects I want to do earlier in the process. There's more time to get things done, finalize your choices, etc.

Even if you change your mind, you're still far enough out that you can switch it up. If you no longer are using something, you could always try and sell it on local Facebook buy and sell groups.

As for storage, most of my projects are at my parents house, in my old room, since it's less stuff for me to transport. However, since I'm doing the stationary and I need my Adobe Illustrator (on my work computer) I'll have to carry it with me. I have room in my office to store a box or two of stationary, as well as my house.

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I diy a lot of my wedding. Specifically my centrepieces I started over a year ago growing them and maturing them. I also did my invitations which I started early as well. I was very thankful I started early it gave me lots of time. I have Rubbermaid containers where I store them and they are in my spare room.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would take all of the time that you need. If you don’t like something or change your mind, you’ll have time to alter your course and restrategize.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well, we're not really DIY-ing too much but you can never begin your planning too early. The time is going to fly by and you will be grateful that you began the process so early.

All the best!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never too early at all!

If you don't have a place to store it at home, maybe family members can offer some space as well!

I am super organized and always like having things done earlier than later so you aren't rushing/stressed! If you for sure know what you want and won't change in a couple months. Go for it! One more thing crossed off your list!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Never to early!

Storing it - we have our own house we bought last year so we have a guest room that all of it could go (although right now we have all of the wedding social prizes!).

Change your mind - sell it! If by just prior to the 1 year mark you change your mind there will probably be some Fall Brides that are looking for last minute signs and decor!! If they aren't related to the Fall season then you could just sell your DIY decor any time - including after your own wedding even!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh its never too early to start!! I started designing Save the Dates and Invitations almost immediately hahah!! Luckily my parents have a huge basement so I have taken over all of it with wedding stuff hahha!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics