Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsey
Curious August 2018 Alberta

How do i pick the right wedding dress??

Kelsey, on September 22, 2017 at 16:00 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 16

Hey!

I feel like there are SO many pretty wedding dresses out there and I just cannot get myself to settle on even a style! How will I know when I've found the right dress??

16 Comments

Latest activity by Nathan, on May 28, 2018 at 01:17
  • N
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Nathan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You have to find good Bridal Boutique in your area.
  • Carmela
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Carmela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am in the same boat. I keep watching Say yes to the dress, and I don't see anything I like or that would reflect me. Have you gone and tried any dresses on? The way I am going to tackle this challenge is:

1: Try not to fall in love with the first dress you try on. This will be your first wedding dress you try on, and of course all wedding dress will look stunning on you, with all the lace, tool, glitz and glam. Just breath and take your time

2: Try on all different styles, ball gowned, A-line, mermaid, etc. Also with this try on different fabrics. Who knows you like one style more then you think.

You will know when you get that feeling. Don't think about it too hard when you in your appointment. Your with your close family and friends, just enjoy making those new memories.

Have fun and good luck!!!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Kelsey, did you find the perfect dress yet? How have your bridal shop appointments gone?

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds silly, but I think you just know! You're right, there are so many silhouettes, so I tried not to look online too much before I started trying anything on. I went in to try on dresses saying that I absolutely did not want to try on any ballgowns - and that's what I ended up going with! You really never know what will look good on you, what will suit your body type, or what you'll fall in love with!

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To me it's about the feeling YOU have. No one else! You need to have a first consultation and just try on different silhouettes to see what looks best on you. It may not even be what you think in your head. Trust me! I loved illusion backs and fronts and when I tried them on they looked awful on me! I tried on over 60 gowns before I found the one. I didnt even care about that. When you find it you find it. Make an appointment and just get in some dresses. Youll start to see what you like and what looks good. Then when you look in magazines or online you'll be looking at styles that you know already suit you!!! Good luck!
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The main criteria for me was price. I wanted a dress I could wear again but was beautiful enough to be worn to a wedding. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to try it on. It's not my first wedding so I didn't feel the pressure to buy a "wedding gown". What I ended up with was a 3/4 length ivory lace dress with a hemline that dips down on the left side. Total cost - $45.00 plus tax.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went by material tried on and felt the material from there I went on shape. I knew that the mermaid look was a no so I avoided that, from there I let the stylist decide what would suit my figure more. Even though I didn't like the material she still brought me a gown in the material but different shapes just to help me out.

I in the end with Ballgown for my dress which I do not regret, I also thought about the evening. I would be in the dress all day, would I want to be in a tight dress around the thighs or something that allows more breathing space too since I would be dancing and what not. Don't have too many ppl come with you too as too many opinions can be overwhelming. The hard part was to try and find something in the color I wanted, I will be in a burgandy red dress.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I meant to post these .. the full back is the one I bought. They're similar but I didn't know what I liked until I started trying things on

How do i pick the right wedding dress?? - 1

How do i pick the right wedding dress?? - 2
  • B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't know what I wanted at first so I went into bridal shops saying I have no idea. We tried on a bunch and I liked one. Went home slept on it, and woke up and was sure. I think you'll just know when you start trying them on. I had no idea either. There's some pics of ones I tried vs the one I bought

How do i pick the right wedding dress?? - 1

How do i pick the right wedding dress?? - 2

How do i pick the right wedding dress?? - 3
  • Jodi
    Frequent user September 2018 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Think of your venue too, are you getting married on a beach? at a church? at a barn?

this may help you decide what may be best suiting for your dress.

I am getting married on a ranch so I knew I wanted something lacey and rustic and not too big. I also knew I liked to have straps of some sort and a low back. my bridal party found me the dress that they knew I wanted with that criteria. It was the second dress I tried on and no other dress I tried on after compared. I tried on about 10 in all different silouettes. I think if you bring your nearest and dearest and try on some styles it will help you narrow down which one will be the one Smiley smile

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would try on each type of silhouette to see how it looks on you (ballgown, A line, trumpet, mermaid, fit n flare, tea length, etc) and then go from there! You might end up with something you didn't expect but is perfect for you. I thought that I was between an A-line or a ballgown but ended up with a fit n flare! I had tried on an A line that we all liked but once the consultant brought the dress I ended up picking into the dressing room, I couldn't take my eyes off it! I put it on and knew it was right. I put the A line back on and it looked terrible in comparison. So glad I didn't settle!

And you can always alter the dress if there's something you want to add or change so don't be afraid to ask if it's possible! I really wanted a dress with sleeves or straps so we ended up adding lace straps and they looked seamless. I also wanted my favourite colour incorporated so we had a purple belt made.

Make sure to consider the types of fabric and the weather and venue where your wedding will be as well.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would try any and every silhouette of you are not sure what you like. I knew when I put mine on that it was the one. It looked the best in me, made me feel great and I couldn't stop staring at myself lol. You'll just know!
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I knew as soon as I put mine on too. I just felt so comfortable. The dresses before all made me feel a bit claustrophobic. It was such a nice feeling and I felt likee I was in a bit of a daze. I even did a little twirl without thinking about it LOL Any dress that makes you want to twirl is the dress to get!

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I knew my dress because i felt happy when i was wearing it. Just couldnt stop smiling. I tried on another couple dresses and they were beautiful! But didnt get the same 'happy' feeling and so went with my dress.
  • Natalie
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went in saying I didn't want a mermaid or lace...and ended up with a lace mermaid, lol. I tried on each silhouette (ball gown, flowy a-line, mermaid, etc.) and it's really true - you won't know what is right for you until you try it on. What I thought I wanted looked horrible on me - it just didn't do anything for my figure. Go with an open mind and you'll be surprised at how quickly you'll get on the right path!
  • Dani
    Frequent user February 2018 British Columbia
    Dani ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds cliche but I knew the moment I put mine on. Definitely check out pinterest for styles or designers you may like and trust in the person helping you at a bridal salon because they also know what is going to look good on your body type. Go into it with an open mind and be willing to try on everything. You might be surprised with what you fall in love with.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics