Christine
Curious September 2018 Nova Scotia

How do duties work?

Christine, on 5/April/2018 at 17:22 Posted in Wedding fashion
I've decided to buy my bridesmaids dresses online because we don't all live close together but the duties are around $60 I'm wondering if I buy all the dresses in one order if I only pay the $60 once rather then each girl pay it on each of their orders?
Share:

7 Replies

• Krista
    Curious July 2018 Alberta
    Krista ·

Just a heads up , not only will you need to pay duties, you'll have to pay the brokerage fee... it adds up!

• Clarissa
    Frequent user October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    It’s actually a percentage of the value of the item (think of it as another sales tax) so if they say $60 it’s would be for that one dress. So if your ordering 3 dresses it should be 3x60 usually or however many dresses you need.
  • K
    Beginner June 2019 Ontario
    Kelsey ·

I just read up about this on the government website.

essentially it's 5% of the regular prices. so regardless if its 3 separate $60 purchases or 1 $180 purchase, it will be 5%.

keep in mind too that if the dresses aren't what you pictured, if you did return them, you won't be refunded on duty fees

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    My girls are ordering online as well and they’re just shipping individually. The shipping was higher the more you spent just like the duty taxes and they live all over but I did offer to pay for the duty taxes.
  • Renee
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Renee ·
    Duties are basically the taxes you aren't paying here in Canada, so yes as previously said by a poster its based on how much you spend.
  • Sarah
    Frequent user December 2018 Alberta
    Sarah ·
    Its better to order them all on one order. That's right from any place I've been looking. Just in case they switch the fabric
  • Stephanie
    Featured July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie Online ·
    I believe duties are based on the amount you are spending. You would save on shipping having them all in on order, but not duties.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles