Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
VIP September 2019 Ontario

How are you incorporating something blue or something borrowed?

Becky, on March 20, 2019 at 12:44 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 30

I am borrowing some earrings that belonged to my grandma from my mother and I haven't figured out something blue yet! How are you incorporating the traditional something blue or something borrowed? Are you doing something different instead?

30 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on April 23, 2019 at 11:02
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a blue garder.. I also have this blue heart necklace extension chain that I may wear as an anklet... I'm not sure about something borrowed. Hopefully someone lends me something !

• Jo-Ann
    Curious July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Jo-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am hoping to get blue and silver necklace My birthstone is blue and was going to use that in necklace. For borrowed could be earrings, hair clip, brooch or pin from a grandmother or female relatives
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My something borrowed was my sister's chinese traditional tea ceremony dress. For my something blue, my sister gifted me a pair of gorgeous blue sapphire earrings which I wore the entire day.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh nice! that would work perfect

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love those touches!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm actually borrowing a pair of blue stud earrings from my FH! He use to wear earrings and had a pair of old blue ones so I thought perfect!!!
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My engagement ring has blue in it; it's a sapphire. I'm also going to have blue shoes.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I borrowed my sister-in-law's sapphire ring as my something blue.

Already had my grandmother's diamond necklace as something old and something borrowed.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am having a blue garter and the borrowing my Grandmas necklace which will be my something old and something borrowed!
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its your day do it the way you want! We won't be doing the bouquet/garter toss or the cake cutting either! Definitely agree with getting everyone on dance floor asap though haha we are hoping the way we did timeline that people can just enjoy themselves right after dinner.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same..I originally wasn't going to but then my bridesmaids offered to let me borrow her veil because I didn't have one then that had her asking what my old/new/borrowed/blue were so I said I didn't have them but the realized I actually did. I was already planning to wear the old wedding band on my right hand, and have my new wedding band and my garter was blue so it all sort fell together nicely!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My something old is my FHs grandmother's engagement ring(which is my engagement ring now) and the matching wedding band (on my right hand). My something new is my wedding band and jewelry. Something blue is my garter. Something borrowed is my veil, borrowing from one of my bridesmaids.
    I always found that something blue was typically a hidden something on your attire, so like stitching or garter. For something borrowed you can maybe ask your mom or FMIL or maybe even bridesmaids if you have them.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Besides the first dance and the parent/kid dance, we're nixing a lot of stuff : Cake cutting, bouquet/garter toss, no wedding party! We just want our guests on the dance floor ASAP hahaha.

We originally wanted a very intimate wedding in the mountains or on the West coast, as we both hate being the centre of attention, but in the end it wasn't an option.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah! I honestly wish my family was more traditional so this would be more important to me! It's a nice tradition that can be very special for some people.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's great! very nice you are able to wear those items
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love the shoes! look comfy too

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats beautiful!

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just meant if you had any traditions of your own in your culture or with your family. No worries though! its not for everyone!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I might not follow this tradition. FH and I are not traditional whatsoever, so I don't have any attachment to doing this.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've got a few borrowed items and a few blue ones too - borrowed are the veil and a photo of my grandmother for my bouquet locket, and blue are my lingerie and my garter. One item is both - my mom's Ukrainian pysanka pendant, which is blue enamel - I LOVE it

How are you incorporating something blue or something borrowed? 1

How are you incorporating something blue or something borrowed? 2

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It just happened naturally for me! Old and borrowed: the veil my mom and aunt wore at their weddings. New: dress, shoes, earrings Blue: garter--I wasn't going to wear a garter, but then found one for sale that was my husband's favourite hockey team...and one of their colours is blue.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Old: My Great Aunty Anne's Bracelet (My sister has our Great Baba's matching one)

New: Majority of what I'm wearing including the custom rings

Borrowed: I'll see what my Mom has for earrings but otherwise I'm looking at posts like these for help!

Blue: My shoes!

How are you incorporating something blue or something borrowed? 3

(they have specks of blue that when you turn the shoe look either white, blue, or purple/pink!)

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very true, it isn't for everyone. Everyone's cultures have different traditions/families! Is there any traditions you would be doing at your wedding?

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love the shoes Peggy Smiley smile! and very exciting about earrings haha

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love those details! I am sure you could find a garter that would have some type of little blue on it Smiley smile

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My wedding colors do include a sapphire color. I just don't plan to wear anything of that color. I like that blue heart stitching though!

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only found out about this tradition through rom-coms in my early/mid-20s. It's not something I'll be incorporating in my wedding day, as it's not a tradition within my family/culture.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me, I decided to make my 'something blue' my shoes!

How are you incorporating something blue or something borrowed? 4

My something old is my great grandmother's pearl necklace. My something new is a pair of earrings my FH will be giving me that day (he accidentally let it slip!), and my something borrowed will probably be my grandmother's handkerchief.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am also using my shoes as something blue. They are Navy blue, and also go with our colour scheme, so win there!

As for something borrowed, my Grandma gave my sister a pair of diamond studs, I have asked my sister if I could borrow those for the day!

I was actually just looking on etsy at some random wedding stuff, if you are wearing a garter, maybe you could find a blue one? or one with blue in it?

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm also struggling with something borrowed! I might be asking my cousin if she still has her cake cutting set I can borrow. Other than that, maybe my mom has a bracelet I can borrow.

My something blue was pretty easy since one of our colours is blue (teal) so my shoes automatically became my something blue. I think if one of your wedding colours is blue it can be super easy to coordinate in shoes/accessories. If you're looking for something more subtle, I love this blue heart stitched to the inside of the dress:

How are you incorporating something blue or something borrowed? 5

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics