Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelsie
Master July 2021 Ontario

Hotel Block - Question

Kelsie, on November 1, 2019 at 18:56 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
Hey everyone! TGIF!

For those of you that blocked off hotels for your guests, I need some help.
Did you go to the hotels yourself to speak with the people there and see the hotel? Or did you call and get a rate over the phone?
Did you offer more than one hotel for guests?
Anything else I should know before I start calling/visiting? Any questions I should ask?
Thanks!!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on November 4, 2019 at 15:57
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just emailed them and told them the dates!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No shuttle for us - parking is included at all hotels I'm looking into, and at my venue. I just want to make sure the hotels will allow uber/taxi pick up and drop off - so definitely want to inquire about that.

Fingers crossed they don't want to charge an arm and a leg!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We (I) called a couple hotels in the area we were looking and got prices from them.

My Husband's cousin's did but that's because they had waaaay different prices. We only had the one option as we had a bus shuttle only pick up and drop off at the one hotel.

Ask them when the last date the rooms will be held, if parking is included, if they have a spot for a bus shuttle pick up (if you are doing that as well), and how many have to book there for the discount price to be applied.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! There’s not really any budget friendly Airbnb’s near our wedding reception venue so all of the out of town guests will be in hotels or staying with people they know.

I’m going to be designing my invites next month so I’m trying to get the hotel blocks finalized! Crossing things off the list one step at a time!!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I visited 2 but the second one the contact person wasn’t there and he never called back so I called another one. I wanted to give my guests the option between 2 hotels at different prices (I did one four star and one three star close to the venue).
    With both of them, they gave me a confirmation number for guests to use to get the group rate. The guests could also choose the rooms themselves. It was first come, first served for the rooms. If I wanted to guarantee there would be a room, I would’ve had to put down a deposit. And, I didn’t want to do that in case they didn’t all fill up.
    I know one family went to the four star hotel and the hotel didn’t have my confirmation number but they gave them the group rate anyway. One family booked at the three star and had no issues. They were able to get a few rooms together even though they had booked a month before. Most of the out of towners went with Airbnb.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries! Yup, she started us out with 10 rooms and then said that if those book up, they just add another 10 to the block and so forth.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! We have a few families that are out of town ...maybe 20 or so. So definitely want to figure out something!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I spoke with a few at a wedding expo, but if I hadn't I probably would have called. Our venue is close to quite a few hotels and air b&b spots, and we only need rooms for a few out of town family members so we haven't decided what to do yet!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks a lot !
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds good! Hope it goes well

• L
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since our wedding is a couple hours away from where we live I called to book our hotel block. They set aside 20 rooms for us and are holding them until a week before the wedding, and they gave us a discount for our guests as well. Maybe contact the two hotels you like and find out their policies and go from there, good luck!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for this!! There aren’t really any lower budget hotels near our venue - but we were thinking to do two hotel blocks at different hotels; one a Marriott and one a holiday inn.

That way it gives people a bit of a choice, for more expensive and more “budget friendly”.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got married in a hotel, so a room block was already included for us! We got discount rates for our guests - and the block included a variety of room types for different price points.

If we weren't married in a hotel, I'd probably go in and talk to someone face-to-face about it. I'd also see if you can block off different room types like we did (we got married in a Best Western Plus hotel btw).

Depending on how many out-of-town guests you have, one might be enough. We were allowed to block a maximum of 30 rooms so ask if the hotel(s) you are thinking of have a maximum.

I'd probably go with 2 blocks, on at a more value-priced hotel (super 8's, etc) and one more mid-end price points (getting into best westerns, etc). Hindsight 20/20, we probably would've booked a block a lower end hotel too for guests who might've appreciated a lower price point.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Veronica - this is so helpful thank you! Do you happen to know what happens if your block gets full? Does the hotel notify you so you can block off more?

Thanks so much!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Kelsie,

I actually just arranged that this week for our guests. I searched up a few hotels near my venue but really only felt like one would be the right fit. I emailed their sales & event contact and within a couple of days of emailing we had it all sorted. They have set aside a block of rooms with a group rate and will hold those until 6 weeks before the wedding, anything unbooked gets released back into inventory and we have no financial responsibility. If guests want to book in those 6 weeks, the rate is open to them, just not guaranteed. It was so easy! Best of luck.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics