Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Peggy
Super May 2019 Alberta

Honeymoon indecision

Peggy, on June 13, 2018 at 14:19 Posted in Honeymoon 0 20

Well, we are still 325 days, 3 hours and 15 minutes from our wedding (but who's counting?), and we're not going on our honeymoon until February 2020 (once we can afford to pay for it!), but we're trying to figure out what our plan is so we can book next spring.

Originally, we wanted to go to Italy, but it is far too expensive for us to manage.

Next we discussed going to Disney World and Universal studios for 7 or 8 days, followed by a 7-10 day cruise. This is likely what we're going to do, but we're still not sure. We both love Disney, but we've never been on a cruise.

Lately I've been back on the 'Well, maybe Europe' kick, despite the price!

Has anyone else had trouble picking where to go?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on June 19, 2018 at 14:14
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks! I definitely will. Unfortunately our Disney trip isn't for a few years (FH's parents are taking the entire family and want the grandkids to be a little bigger), so I've got lots of time to look forward to it Smiley laugh

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Feel free to PM me if you want any tips. Smiley winking

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's hilarious. I seriously have no idea that was such a thing, but I'm definitely going to talk FH into doing this with me when we go to Disney World (eventually).

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sort of. They aren't led by Disney employees, like other tours are. But they have become a 'thing' among Disney guests. You can google either one very easily - lots of tips and suggestions out there.

1 - Drinking around the World at EPCOT. This will usually cost you somewhere in the 80-100$ per person, depending on what you decide to drink and if you stop in each and every country. Starting in either Mexico or Canada, make your way around the 'world' and have one or two drinks in each of the 11 countries. This becomes far more difficult during Food and Wine festival in the fall when there can be 30-40 countries represented, and will cost you 300-400$ to do, depending on what you drink! Best to break this into a few days activities at this time of year! This has sort of become an 'official' Disney thing - they now have a 'passport' you can buy and get stamped in each country.

2 - Monorail Pub Crawl. The cost of this depends on how many bars/lounges you visit. Definitely not official! With this one, you get on the monorail at the Magic Kingdom (we usually do it after a day spent in the park). You then make your way around the monorail resorts - either Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian, or the opposite direction of Grand Floridian, Polynesian and Contemporary. At each resort, visit 1 (beginner), 2 (moderate) or 3 (advanced!) lounge/bar and have a drink.

My fiance and I have tried both - we ended up pretty tipsy by the end of the Monorail pub crawl and only visited 2 bars/lounges at each resort - we shared an appetizer at one of the pubs at the Poly and at the Grand Floridian - in total, we spent about 350$ with tips! We split the World into 3 days because we were there during Food and Wine.

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They have drinking tours at Disney World? That sounds awesome lol.

• Alexa
    Curious June 2019 British Columbia
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have so many troubles deciding what we will do! I was thinking we would travel Europe!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did. We knew we wanted a relaxing trip. We knew we wanted to go right away. We eventually decided to stay in Canada as my passport has expired and it was cheaper than any destination we had looked at.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally! My indecision goes a little like this:
    - Let's go to an all-inclusive and just not stress about it;
    - ...nah, let's go on an adventure. How about going back to Nicaragua?;
    - ...we've been there recently, so no. How about Greece?;
    - ...for that price, we could hit Thailand and go island-hopping for two weeks!!!;
    - ...so much planning...how about an all-inclusive?

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, if you go all out and stay on site at Disney or Universal, it can get VERY expensive, VERY fast. I've been to Disney numerous times and know how to make it awesome without spending too much - we spent 5000$ Canadian 2 years ago for a 14 day trip spent split between Disney and Universal, in the park 10 of those 14 days, two 'drinking tours' around WDW, and all our souveniers. Smiley smile

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We tend to have champagne tastes. Part of our problem with Europe is that he will likely only get 7-10 days off (he won't have enough seniority to get more than 1, maaaaybe 2, weeks off in a row), and I don't want to fly all the way to Europe for that short a trip!

I have heard that about cruises - We are pretty frugal, and so will wait for a good deal that includes the drink package, or an on board credit. I'm too cheap to pay what the on board shops will price things at!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

England is on our 'to travel' list - I'm super into history, but he isn't so much so it's not that close to the top but I'm sure you'll love it. We also are doing a honeymoon registry.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Please feel free to DM me for tips! I'd love to pick your brain, too.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Please feel free to DM me for tips! I'd love to pick your brain.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been to Disney before - this will be my 12 or 13th trip. It will be the 3rd trip for my fiancé. Because it's not our first trip, we don't go all out - we spend 4-10 hours in the park in a day, depending on how we feel, and take breaks for pool days. I know what it will cost, and I know how to do it affordably! If anyone needs tips on that, feel free to message me directly!

I'm mostly looking for sympathy, haha, and if I'm the only one who seems to be having trouble choosing from all the amazing places you can go! Just venting really, but I truly appreciate the feedback from everyone. And any tips on cruising are VERY appreciated, so feel free to message me with those too!

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are in this struggle too.. literally debating between Europe and Disneyland!

What about Paris Disney?
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Peggy!

I don't have any insight for a cruise (never been on one) but I have lots to say regarding Disney World/Universal Studios.

Last summer the FH and I went to Florida for 6 days and spent 5 of those at Universal Studios using their flex pass. SO, this pass cost us approximately $800, we were unbelievably exhausted after spending 5 days going park-to-park enjoying everything, and it was surprisingly the most expensive trip of our lives. Between the flight, hotel accommodations, food (we went really cheap with food too, often sharing lunches because the portions were massive), transportation, and some very modest entertainment, the whole trip cost us nearly $4000.

Don't get me wrong, it was an awesome trip, but I was shocked by how expensive it was (since we thought Florida would be a cheaper vacation compared to the Caribbean).

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found that a cruise and a trip to Europe can be comparable depending on what you're wanting to do. Italy can be expensive if you want to go truly honeymoon, but there are ways to cut costs and in Italy, particularly Rome, there are options to have "no spend" days, with the exception of your food, since you can walk the city or grab a bus without having to spend money on any kind of tour. If you still want to go to Europe, but don't have your heart set on a particular country, the further East you go (and one without Euros), the cheaper it can be. For example, Croatia is pretty cheap, yet you can still have the honeymoon experience, as is Malta (a personal favourite! They also use Euros but a bit cheaper than mainland Europe).

I don't have any experience with Disney, but I've been on a Royal Caribbean cruise, and I found that while I thought I had paid for an inclusive vacation, costs start to add up from drink packages to spa packages, excursions and even little shops and stores on the cruise itself, so there was a lot more on the cruise itself I purchased than expected.

Either way, you can make either work within a set budget, but definitely consider what you might want to do more and what compromises you may be willing to make in each location/destination

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re getting married in 2019 and our honeymoon won’t be until spring 2020, we’re doing England to visit my family there. We’re looking at $10,000 for roughly three weeks. We decided to do a honeymoon registry though rather than a gift registry so people get the hint that we really don’t want dishes and things and if they do give a gift it’ll be money
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can talk to you about cruising! I worked on them. and I have cruised several times.
    you usually can't cruise Europe in the winter.
    If you are drinkers, I highly recommend going with Norwegian as they usually run promos to include the drink package for free (just pay the taxes which is usually 100 a person).

Disney/universal can get expensive. so Europe may work out cost wise. depending on what you want to do in Europe and where.

We are getting married in 2019. and hoping to do the honeymoon late 2019 or spring 2020 (all depends on funds). if I can swing. I want Europe SO MUCH!!!! but for me that has been on my bucket list for so long. and I feel I can justify it if its a honeymoon! hahaha
    deciding on where would definitely be hard!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ahhh I went searching for European Cruises... It's either too far out, or February is not a popular time for them.

I went on 2 European Cruises, one through the Scandanavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, etc), and a Mediterranean one (Italy, Greece, Malta, etc)... both absolutely amazing... and a great way to see more of Europe with only unpacking your bag once!!

I love love love cruising... we are doing an 11-night Southern Caribbean for our honeymoon... so I'm biased... but I think it's the best all inclusive (drink package not included usually) and relaxing option... you unpack once, your food is included 24/7, entertainment going from 7-8am til 2-3am... super friendly staff... and you see 3-6 countries (depending on cruise) instead of one resort or hotel.

I also love Disney... very much... so a Disney/Cruise combo would be heaven!!!

These are the cruises from Royal Caribbean for Feb 2020... The ABCs (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao) are apparently "bucket list" islands for many travellers.

Seriously, I need a vacation, I get too excited just thinking about fun and sun Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics