Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Frequent user February 2020 Ontario

Honeymoon before the wedding?

Liarra, on July 16, 2019 at 22:03 Posted in Honeymoon 0 36
Hey guys!

My fiancé and I are in a really weird job situation currently and as weird as this sounds we’re considering doing our honeymoon before the wedding. The timeline would just help us out HUGE with not having to worry about new jobs / asking for time off work / telling future employers during the interviews that we have a 2 week honeymoon booked and leaving a bad taste in their mouths / moving... amongst many others. We’ve discussed the fact of “will we regret not doing anything after the wedding” and we’ve sort of decided we could still do a 2-4 day mini-moon somewhere local post wedding. We’re both ok with that.

We haven’t told any family or friends yet and not sure if we will, as we don’t really want their opinions to influence our decision. No point in getting people fired up when it’s not set in stone yet.

Has anyone else done this, or had friends who have done this? Looking for suggestions or input. (We aren’t very traditional)

36 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on February 2, 2020 at 19:29
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We almost did this. We actually booked our honeymoon before we even picked a date or had anything confirmed 😅 I think if that's what's going to work for you guys then go for it. You can always do a mini weekend away after like you said Smiley smile
  • K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s a great idea!

We had booked a very expensive trip to Sandals (at Christmas 2018) to go for Christmas 2019.... we planned it before we were engaged....and then at the time of our trip- we were 6 mths away from the wedding. We debated cancelling to save money- but instead we decided to enjoy it like it was our honeymoon. We had a blast! That being said- we are taking some time after the wedding for a “honeymoon” but it’s not the fancy honeymoon I had always dreamed of- because we kind of already did that by accident 😁
    I’d say just do it! Whatever makes sense for you is what should be done. It’s 2020- lots of new, modern and different ways to celebrate! Enjoy it whatever you choose! (And Besides, it’s nice to get away from all the pre-wedding stress!!!!!)
  • Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly do what works best for you! This might actually provide you with some much needed relaxation before you say I do! And could be a great time spent focusing on one another
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's no one's business but your own when you go on your honeymoon, so go on it when you can. I swear, there's so many traditions surrounding weddings that just don't make sense sometimes.

• Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! I'm sure everything will work out for you guys as well, regardless of what you choose and you will love every minute. I think Greece would be such an amazing experience and hope you both have a great time.

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds great. I totally agree. In a way this works out to be less stressful. Our wedding is in February 2020 but we’d be going to Greece this October long before wedding planning really gets stressful. This way we have one less thing to plan and think about / pay for closer to the wedding which will be nice. I love the low key minimoon idea after the wedding just to unwind and really soak in the moment with your husband too! Glad it’s worked out for you two!
  • Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think there is anything wrong with a pre-honeymoon at all : )

Ours kind of worked out that way without us even planning it. We drove across Canada last September for the month and couldn't really come up with anything crazy exciting or big to do after the wedding. It feels like we just got back haha. So instead, we are just going to do a long weekend in a cottage down home near family and just enjoy the beach and being with each other after the wedding (And not having to work out details or plan something haha).

It's really about what your comfortable with and what works with your life. Especially if you're not very traditional you can do absolutely anything you want as long as it makes you both happy. Friends and family will understand and probably applaud you for your decision. Regardless of what you choose.

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Cassandra!

Nice to know I’m not alone in this decision! Yes exactly. We feel the same way. Instead of putting our jobs off another 2 years we’d rather just do the honeymoon first since that is an option for us now.

Thanks for the help! Enjoy your honeymoon!
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks holly. Yeah we did consider doing it much later so that it felt more like a honeymoon. However unfortunately with us switching jobs and potentially moving we don’t really have the luxury of waiting and worrying about not getting the time off work. We want to go to Greece so we’d have to book everything in advance and it’s just a little too risky. But you’re absolutely right we do want to have the newlywed feeling so I think we are still going to do the mini moon post wedding so share in that feeling !
  • C
    Newbie November 2021 Alberta
    Cassandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are going away on our honeymoon this January 2020. We're still not getting married until late 2021. Just as you said having financial stability is important and employers giving time off at an interview is definitely not an easy thing to do or good impression. Enjoy that early honeymoon! 👰🥂
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband and I aren't going on our till January 2020. We got married June 1st. We don't think it's a big issue and it worked into our life better. We got married in Ontario where all our friends and family are, we are from BC, so we spend an extra 2 weeks after the wedding there before coming back home. Do what works into your lives and your schedule. If going before make sense then do that, the only thing is it may not feel like a honeymoon since you aren't married it may just feel like a vacation. That's what my worry would be, and even tho that doesn't really matter I just wanted to actually be married at my honeymoon to have that "newlyweds feeling".
    But like I said, you need to do what you can that fits your life and if before works then go for it, or even if you're able to push it back a few months or so after the wedding maybe that would work too.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do whatever you think is best for you both! I hope you’re able to figure it out! It will be a blast either way.
  • Kris
    Frequent user October 2019 Nevada
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would do what make it’s easy and less stressful for you. Most people I know have gone away for
    a few days somewhere close by but waited up
    to a year to take a honeymoon. Plus you can save up again too.
  • Mystica
    Beginner August 2020 British Columbia
    Mystica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, do what fits best into your life situation. If it’s just easier now, it’ll save you that hassle. You have many more vacations to go on during your lifetime. You could toast that it’s also an intimate stag 😂😂😂
  • Lynne
    Newbie September 2019 British Columbia
    Lynne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I are not going on our honeymoon until over a month after the wedding. With family travelling so far to come celebrate with us, I want to be able to spend time with my close family while they are here and show them around. I have been to weddings where the bride and groom rush off the next day to go on their honeymoon and really have no time for getting settled after the wedding/doing a gift opening/spending time with family/friends who have travelled etc...
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem, you'd have lots of time!! I would definitely do your honeymoon then! And don't let anyone tell you it's any less of a honeymoon because you're not married yet!!!

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes sorry I forgot to mention. Wedding is in February and we are going to book it for October so lots of time before. It’s just the best time for us to go and the weather is still good where we’re going. I agree there is no way I could go in the two months prior to the wedding. I’d be far to stressed out! Thanks for your input !
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, if it work for you and your FH, definitely do it!

However, one thing I didn't see mentioned is if you take it close to the wedding (i.e. a month or two before), it could be stressful if you are still planning/getting RSVPs/working out a seating plan/finalizing details - just my two cents lol

I would definitely do the mini-moon afterwards if you do go down this route so you get some time to relax.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly, with so many bride and grooms being "non - traditional" these days, people are more accepting. I think the only people who would think its weird is the older generation who did everything by the books, and have carried on these traditions

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I couldn’t agree more about the de-stressing. It will take my mind off all the planning and what not for a good two weeks! It’s so nice to see so many people don’t think it’s a big deal. I for some reason just assumed people would think we were weird haha
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m so happy to hear from someone who’s done it first hand! So awesome that you guys were still able to get the perks out of it from the resort ! I’ve been to Rivera maya and absolutely loved it there. You’re right. I think we’ve made up our minds on doing it before ! Thanks for the input.
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly don't think its a big deal! You do it when it works for you! It is still a celebration and time away. Plus it might be nice before the wedding to de- stress before the big day!

• Breanne
    Frequent user September 2019 Alberta
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi! My fiancé and I have done just this! Our wedding is September 21st, 2019. We went on our honeymoon December 2018! And we have absolutely no regrets. We decided to do this for some of the reasons you are considering as well (changes in employment, going back to school, etc.) We went to the beautiful Riviera Maya!!! We enjoyed our 10 day stay at an all inclusive resort. We were also fortunate enough to receive all of the “newlywed” perks, such as free massages, upgraded room, dinner on beach, etc.

That being said, we are also doing a mini-moon! We are tying the knot in Canmore, Alberta and we will be sticking around there for 4 days after the wedding to enjoy our new union!

Honestly, I would recommend doing a pre-wedding honeymoon if you think it better suits you guys!
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the input! We would still plan on doing a mini-moon after the wedding 2-4 days away at a cottage or chalet somewhere to de-stress and talk about all the memories. We are planning on going to Greece if we go before hand which is a big trip and may end up being a bit stressful. So in a way I feel like just having us two at a cottage after the wedding to really unwind, and not worry about traveling on planes and boats etc may be even more relaxing than a big lavish trip. Giving us more time to really talk about the wedding and everything instead of the hustle and bustle of travelling. But I do agree that time is needed to unwind and appreciate the few days after the wedding as newly weds!
  • Tatiana
    Newbie July 2021 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been married once before and am getting married for the second time. It is up to you to tailor what you want to do before your wedding. I honestly think is better to wait even with the job situation. The only thing is no matter how you think things won't feel different after the wedding, it invariably is. It gives you time to create memories and laugh and joke and bond about the happy memories you had during the ceremony and reception. As an old broad, you really need those good stories and times to reflect on when your marriage isn't at its best. It is great bonding time that you need after all the post wedding rush and deadlines. Your honeymoon should be memorable and romantic and create memories for a lifetime for you to reflect on when you are old, not just in this time and space when things are exciting and fun!

Just an old ladies opinion...xo

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so true Tori, I hadn’t thought of that. We are planning on going to Greece so for us I can’t see it making a difference. I feel like for the most part those honeymoon deals are for all inclusives or cruises! and yes I’ve heard it takes a long time to get the certificate in the mail.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is only one reason why not to - and that's just because some places where you honeymoon you can get upgrades or discounts if you can show your marriage certificate. Other than that - there's nothing wrong with it!

Heck, my coworker got married last October and she didn't get her certificate in the mail until the new year anyway! (She mailed all of it in - I plan on going down to Vital Stats to try and get everything done asap so I can change my name to Doll.)

• K
    Frequent user September 2024 Nova Scotia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think its an awesome idea if it takes stress off! Also you could do a little weekend getaway somewhere close by after the wedding so that you can celebrate after too!

• L
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Linnae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do what is right for you! The whole point is to spend some quality alone time together. We are doing a couple nights in Niagara Falls right after the wedding to relax and then planning on going away for a honeymoon in January when its cold and we want to get away!

• Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You too! You should be excited about your trip not stressed. My FH and I are going to Montreal for 5 days! Woot!
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! You’re so right. Have fun!
  • Katelyn
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You do you! The only people it affects are you guys. If you are happy who cares when your honeymoon is. Because of work mine is 2 weeks post wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics